Topics

Enclosure

Andy G7KNA <lists@...>

Any news on the DRAWS/Pi metal enclosure?

I've seen a couple of dimensioned drawings and thought something was
due this month.

Thanks

Andy G7KNA
--
Andy Jenner
Q: What goes; "Pieces of seven, pieces of seven"?

Keith M. McDonald <wreck_diver@...>

Andy, did any of the dimensioned drawings have Powerpole connectors?

I think Brian N0KZ did an exceptional job engineering the Powerpole connectors into the RPi3 DRAWS Case.  As soon as my DRAWS is delivered, I’ll install it in Brian’s case and upload the pictures.

I am hoping that there is sufficient interest in Powerpole connections for the portable and EMCOMM end user and that it becomes a NW Digital Radio case option.

Steve Stroh

Unlikely. NWDR is on record as HATING Powerpoles.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:02 AM Keith M. McDonald <wreck_diver@...> wrote:
Andy, did any of the dimensioned drawings have Powerpole connectors?

I think Brian N0KZ did an exceptional job engineering the Powerpole connectors into the RPi3 DRAWS Case.  As soon as my DRAWS is delivered, I’ll install it in Brian’s case and upload the pictures.

I am hoping that there is sufficient interest in Powerpole connections for the portable and EMCOMM end user and that it becomes a NW Digital Radio case option.

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Daniel Sohn

IMHO - I agree.

Incorporating a Power Pole connection for the  DRAWS nominal 12v power source will go a long way to attract ARES (& all other ARES/RACES like) individuals.

In today’s world power poles  might or might not be all that useful of a ‘standard’  for 12V  systems but it is a wide spread and practical convention for Amateur use.

Cheers, …dan wl7coo

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:02 AM, Keith M. McDonald <wreck_diver@...> wrote:

Andy, did any of the dimensioned drawings have Powerpole connectors?

I think Brian N0KZ did an exceptional job engineering the Powerpole connectors into the RPi3 DRAWS Case.  As soon as my DRAWS is delivered, I’ll install it in Brian’s case and upload the pictures.

I am hoping that there is sufficient interest in Powerpole connections for the portable and EMCOMM end user and that it becomes a NW Digital Radio case option.

Daniel Sohn

Ahh - so be it.
…dan

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Unlikely. NWDR is on record as HATING Powerpoles.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:02 AM Keith M. McDonald <wreck_diver@...> wrote:
Andy, did any of the dimensioned drawings have Powerpole connectors?

I think Brian N0KZ did an exceptional job engineering the Powerpole connectors into the RPi3 DRAWS Case.  As soon as my DRAWS is delivered, I’ll install it in Brian’s case and upload the pictures.

I am hoping that there is sufficient interest in Powerpole connections for the portable and EMCOMM end user and that it becomes a NW Digital Radio case option.

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Brian Badger

Keith,

Speaking of which, someone ordered my case design to be printed.  I will happily provide support for anyone who prints it or has it printed.  It is a beta design at this point and any feedback is appreciated.

Brian N0KZ

On Jan 23, 2019, at 10:02 AM, Keith M. McDonald <wreck_diver@...> wrote:

Andy, did any of the dimensioned drawings have Powerpole connectors?

I think Brian N0KZ did an exceptional job engineering the Powerpole connectors into the RPi3 DRAWS Case.  As soon as my DRAWS is delivered, I’ll install it in Brian’s case and upload the pictures.

I am hoping that there is sufficient interest in Powerpole connections for the portable and EMCOMM end user and that it becomes a NW Digital Radio case option.

Basil Gunn

Daniel Sohn <@wl7coo> writes:

Ahh - so be it.
…dan

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Unlikely. NWDR is on record as HATING Powerpoles.
Steve is spreading false rumors. I am involved with NWDR & I don't
'HATE' Anderson power poles. We are aware of APP limitations and use
them in a lot of/most situations.

/Basil

Keith M. McDonald <wreck_diver@...>

Brian, I have your case here and ready to go.  I ordered the print with 25% fill at 0.02 in black.  Total cost was $27.97 US.

I noted a few things that seem to have changed since the original listing:

The micro SD slot has been resized and the card is accessible once everything is assembled.

The end screw holes remain but the second pair and third pair have been removed from the cover.

I found that the M2.5 hardware that I had on hand was too small and had to order M3 hardware for the upcoming assembly.  I’ll include the specifics once I receive the DRAWS and get it assembled and photographed.

And, as an FYI, your case is being used for an off-grid concept project for FEMA MA-TF1.

Daniel Sohn

Well then, apologies to both of you<g>.

…dan

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:29 AM, Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

Daniel Sohn <@wl7coo> writes:

Ahh - so be it.
…dan

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Unlikely. NWDR is on record as HATING Powerpoles.
Steve is spreading false rumors. I am involved with NWDR & I don't
'HATE' Anderson power poles. We are aware of APP limitations and use
them in a lot of/most situations.

/Basil

We have case samples coming for internal verification and hope to have those for display at Hamcation in Orlando next month.  If they meet our expectations, we will process our bulk order and will announce an expected delivery date once we know scheduling.

As to power connectors.  As individuals, we have them in our personal shacks.  We don't hate them, but from an engineering perspective they are not the best choice and are bulky to put into a device or case.

The case is designed to have a barrel style power jack, and matching Anderson pole to barrel connector power leads are readily available at reasonable prices.

Budd Churchward

As an alternative to the 3-D printed case, I have posted the files for a laser cut DRAWS enclosure on Thingiverse. The file will cut three cases from a single 12" x 12" sheet of 1/8 inch acrylic. The case is self locking and goes together tightly without the need for screws or glue.

View the case and download the file from Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3381464

Acrylic sheets are $6 from Delvie's Plastics
http://www.delviesplastics.com/p/Transparent_Acrylic.html

73 Budd WB7FHC

Unlikely. NWDR is on record as HATING Powerpoles.
Steve is spreading false rumors. I am involved with NWDR & I don't
'HATE' Anderson power poles. We are aware of APP limitations and use
them in a lot of/most situations.

/Basil

art upton <artupton@...>

FYI, I put my URCII in this plastic case, and with a few nips of the plastic with side cutters, I mounted my Draws in this case as well.
Had to nip an area for the power connector on the side and had to nip a block deeper for the GPS SMA connector.

https://www.amazon.com/HighPi-Raspberry-Pi-Case-HiFiBerry-x/dp/B016954T3I/

K8XG Artemus

kc7pmu

Well, I like the Anderson PowerPoke connectors because I can be reasonably assured that I can connect my equipment to power in a new location. However, having equipment other than power supplies with other types of connectors is not a bad thing. If a device powered by 12v wall wart comes with a power cord with a non-PowerPole connector that they have chosen for their own reasons, cutting the supplied power supply output cord in the middle and installing PowerPoles to the cut ends is an easy way to have one's cake and connect it too. Just label each section of the modified power cord to identify the device from which they were cut.

For devices that are small or light weight, connecting a heavy or stiff wire with PowerPoles may require some form of strain relief on the wire to protect the device from being pulled off a workstation or  causing mechanical damage to the device.

Paul
kc7pmu

David [kg5eiu]

Edited

This case came out nice!  lazer cut extruded 1/8" acrylic "green glass"  all ports are accessible and easy to get at
snaps together, no glue, screws or bolts.  Thanks for posting (click an image for more photos in the gallery):

Acrylic DRAWS Case Acrylic DRAWS Case

Gwen Patton

That's a thing of beauty. I'd love a couple, eventually, when/if they're available. I have a DRAWS from the original shipment, and am waiting for a second my partner, K3XS, ordered. They'll both need cases.

Gwen, NG3P

Budd Churchward

Nice job! I am glad the file worked for you. That extra hole on the side of the case is for a barrel jack that will fit inside the case and hook up to the power leads that came with the board. I believe that the next batch of DRAWS boards will have the white JST power connector point up instead of out, which will make adding the power jack to the case even easier.

The key on the top is supposed to mate with another one just like it and provide a stacking mechanism if you have more than one case. I had room for two pieces with each case on the UDRC version, but I could only fit in 1 with this version. But if you have two cases, you will have two pieces and they will work fine.

Budd WB7FHC

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2019 3:23 PM