UDRC 2 and motorola GM300 connection

Johnny <w5pfr@...>

I was thinking about making a high power hotspot with UDRC 2 and GM300 and was wondering if anyone has done this and if pi-star would work with this setup? and as for making the cabeling between these two devices, should I use the minidin or the sub on the UDRC for connection to GM300?
Thaks in advance

Basil Gunn

I was thinking about making a high power hotspot with UDRC 2 and GM300
and was wondering if anyone has done this
I have successfully used UDRC hats with Motorola radios that have both
the 16 pin & 20 pin accessory port using the Argent Data Systems GM300
Mini-Din adapter.
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=169

The rest of questions John Hays should answer.

/Basil n7nix

Johnny <w5pfr@comcast.net> writes:

and if pi-star would work
with this setup? and as for making the cabeling between these two
devices, should I use the minidin or the sub on the UDRC for
connection to GM300?

Kenny Richards

Johnny,

I'm in a similar effort right now, except that I'm building a full dstar repeater with a  Motorola Micor deck. There is plenty of info on the repeater-builder website for how to interface with the GM300, so you should be good for that end. I personally went with the DIN6 connector on the UDRC, but mainly because access to the pre-made cables is easy. (Buy a extension and cut it in half)

73,

Kenny, KU7M

VE3MIC

Hi Johnny,

I too was looking to see if Pi-Star would support a UDRC board.  Late last summer, Jonathon Naylor G4KLX released a version of his MMDVM software on his Github page. As I understand it, new MMDVM code will eventually end up in Pi-Star, but after seeing a couple of old posts on the Pi-Star Wiki, I'm not sure if it will, since the UDRC is now discontinued. Perhaps if support is added for the DRAWS board (same audio chip?) that there may be some hope for the UDRC.

Looking at the schematic for the UDRC 2,  both the 6-pin miniDIN & DE15HD connectors share the same I/O -less the squelch (they're independent).

I have a GM300 also, and had been considering ordering one of these > https://shop.f5uii.net/en/product-category/mmdvm

73 de Mike

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 5:05:23 p.m. EST, Johnny <w5pfr@...> wrote:

I was thinking about making a high power hotspot with UDRC 2 and GM300 and was wondering if anyone has done this and if pi-star would work with this setup? and as for making the cabeling between these two devices, should I use the minidin or the sub on the UDRC for connection to GM300?
Thaks in advance

Johnny <w5pfr@...>

I think that specific connection has some kinda capacitor and resistors in there. That didnt degrade the connections between the UDRC and GM300 any?
I thought you cant have anything in that kinda connections?

Johnny <w5pfr@...>

Hey mike. Yes, I was thinking about using my spare UDRC board, since I dont have it on the UHF repeater anymore, and do some experimenting and connect it to couple of GM300's and maybe make somekinda repeater/gateway portble setup. I did see the post regarding the pi-star support. Once I get all my cabeling done, will have to try it out
73 for now

VE3MIC

Here is the link to the Pi-Star forum (re: UDRC)  UDRC II - forum.pistar.uk
and G4KLX's MMDVM with UDRC support  g4klx/MMDVM-UDRC

73 de Mike

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 5:47:17 p.m. EST, Johnny <w5pfr@...> wrote:

Hey mike. Yes, I was thinking about using my spare UDRC board, since I dont have it on the UHF repeater anymore, and do some experimenting and connect it to couple of GM300's and maybe make somekinda repeater/gateway portble setup. I did see the post regarding the pi-star support. Once I get all my cabeling done, will have to try it out
73 for now

You should be using the HD-15 as there is code in dstarrepeater that looks for it when using the UDRC/UDRC-II

Kenny Richards

John,

So this is hardcoded in dstarrepeater for the UDRC/UDRC-II?  (meaning you can change it with config?)

That would explain why I have been having a problem getting receive to work....

Thanks
Kenny

Anna did the code for this -- it might be possible to get it to work as just another soundcard plus GPIO but the UDRC specific code was designed for the HD-15 -- perhaps she can pipe in.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 4:12 PM Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:
John,

So this is hardcoded in dstarrepeater for the UDRC/UDRC-II?  (meaning you can change it with config?)

That would explain why I have been having a problem getting receive to work....

Thanks
Kenny

Ryan Matthew Headley

It seems that this project is dead.

Anyone know if any future development is planned?

Alternatively, are there any other packages configurable for a multi-mode repeater/simplex node using the UDRC or DRAWS?

Basil Gunn

It seems that this project is dead.
There was a few things mentioned in this thread. Specifically which
project are you talking about?

I confirmed last January that Motorola radios with either a 16 pin or 20
pin accessory connector should work with the UDRC II using the Argent
Data GM300 Mini-Din Adapter
(https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=169)

I confirmed with Motorola Radios that I have (PM 400, CDM 750, CDM
1550-LS, Radio M1225-LS)

Anyone know if any future development is planned?

Alternatively, are there any other packages configurable for a multi-mode repeater/simplex node using the UDRC or DRAWS?
I know that in 2015 John K7VE demonstrated a Yaesu DR-1X in Tri-mode (Fusion Digital,
D-Star, Analog FM) using a UDRC.
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-Setup-for-the-Yaesu-DR-1X-Repeater

/Basil n7nix

Ryan Matthew Headley

Basil,

Sorry.  I was referring specifically to MMDVMHost for UDRC/DRAWS.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:42 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> It seems that this project is dead.

There was a few things mentioned in this thread. Specifically which
project are you talking about?

I confirmed last January that Motorola radios with either a 16 pin or 20
pin accessory connector should work with the UDRC II using the Argent
Data GM300 Mini-Din Adapter
(https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=169)

I confirmed with Motorola Radios that I have (PM 400, CDM 750, CDM
1550-LS, Radio M1225-LS)

> Anyone know if any future development is planned?
>
> Alternatively, are there any other packages configurable for a multi-mode repeater/simplex node using the UDRC or DRAWS?

I know that in 2015 John K7VE demonstrated a Yaesu DR-1X in Tri-mode (Fusion Digital,
D-Star, Analog FM) using a UDRC.
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-Setup-for-the-Yaesu-DR-1X-Repeater

Ryan Matthew Headley
1705 Granby Road