Topics

Beta 7 stability #draws #fldigi

Art - KC7SDA

So I worked winter field day this year, and overall I'm quite happy with the performance of the DRAWS setup...

however I did have a couple of system freezes and had to reboot a couple of times.

I was running FLDIGI (4.0.18), and my copy of fdlog_enhanced (github.com/nouse4anick/fdlog_enhanced), the same fdlog ran fine on 2 other computers (one linux and one windows).

has anyone else had issues with lockups?

73
Art

Gayland Gump

Yep.  Haven't seen any evidence of a pattern or cause though.  It happen's sometimes when the system idles unattended and other times while I am using it.  My suspicion is either a memory leak somewhere in the software stack or heat.  Both of those just because I haven't any better ideas.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> wrote:
So I worked winter field day this year, and overall I'm quite happy with the performance of the DRAWS setup...

however I did have a couple of system freezes and had to reboot a couple of times.

I was running FLDIGI (4.0.18), and my copy of fdlog_enhanced (github.com/nouse4anick/fdlog_enhanced), the same fdlog ran fine on 2 other computers (one linux and one windows).

has anyone else had issues with lockups?

73
Art

Basil Gunn

If you have problems with your RPi freezing:

- upon the first boot capture your /var/log/syslog & /var/log/syslog.1 files and look for the
last entry before the first boot entry. ie. look for log entries before
a line that looks something like this:
Feb 1 10:56:05 drawstest kernel: [ 0.103179] vc-mem:
phys_addr:0x00000000 mem_base=0x3ec00000 mem_size:0x40000000(1024 MiB)

- try ssh from another computer to log in. If you can, then this tells
you the Window manager may have locked up. Now look at your syslog files
while the Window manager is currently unresponsive.

- On your other Linux computer run the 'arch' command to display the
machine architecture ie. x86_64 or armv7l. Saying that fdlog_enhanced
runs differently on a different Linux architecture provides useful
information.

I am not running FLDigi for long periods of time but I have a couple of
packet gateways that run continuously with DRAWS with no problems.

/Basil n7nix

Art - KC7SDA <@nouse4anick> writes:

So I worked winter field day this year, and overall I'm quite happy
with the performance of the DRAWS setup...

however I did have a couple of system freezes and had to reboot a couple of times.

I was running FLDIGI (4.0.18), and my copy of fdlog_enhanced
(github.com/nouse4anick/fdlog_enhanced), the same fdlog ran fine on 2
other computers (one linux and one windows).

has anyone else had issues with lockups?

Basil Gunn

My suspicion is either a memory leak somewhere in the software stack
or heat. Both of those just because I haven't any better ideas.
To determine if you have a memory leak:

Run top

If you are using increasing amounts of swap space you probably have a
memory leak.

run top like this (batch mode, 1 iteration) to get a snap shot of
process memory usage. Save the output and run it at different times to
get an idea of what maybe eating memory.

top -b -n 1

/Basil n7nix