People receiving boards #draws #setup #draws-manager

If you are unpacking your new DRAWS™ HAT, here are a couple of resources to get started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C3cWVVz_A
(Be sure to do the git pull, to update as new features are being added .- including a new button to update DRAWS™ Manager)

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>

Greetings John. I have installed the Draws image to my Rpi. I don’t see fldigi listed under Hf programs. Is that correct? Rick Waller Ka4ohm

On Mar 23, 2019, at 5:34 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

If you are unpacking your new DRAWS™ HAT, here are a couple of resources to get started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C3cWVVz_A
(Be sure to do the git pull, to update as new features are being added .- including a new button to update DRAWS™ Manager)

Basil puts together the images, but it should be installed,  try typing fldigi into a terminal window.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 5:01 PM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Greetings John. I have installed the Draws image to my Rpi. I don’t see fldigi listed under Hf programs. Is that correct? Rick Waller Ka4ohm

On Mar 23, 2019, at 5:34 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

If you are unpacking your new DRAWS™ HAT, here are a couple of resources to get started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C3cWVVz_A
(Be sure to do the git pull, to update as new features are being added .- including a new button to update DRAWS™ Manager)

This is the link to a list of all the programs installed on the image:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md

FLdigi is definitely installed. If you need to install from a gui click
the raspberry icon in the top left corner, then click Internet, then
click fldigi.

Where exactly are you looking?

/Basil

Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

Greetings John. I have installed the Draws image to my Rpi. I don’t
see fldigi listed under Hf programs. Is that correct? Rick Waller
Ka4ohm

Jack Spitznagel

Rick,

Might be a little counter-intuitive, but in my install of Beta 10 all of the fldigi-related program icons are in the “Internet” drop down menu selections along with Xastir (which is also on the X desktop). I guess that Basil did not set up a dedicated Ham Radio group in his configuration.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

Greetings John. I have installed the Draws image to my Rpi. I don’t see fldigi listed under Hf programs. Is that correct? Rick Waller Ka4ohm

On Mar 23, 2019, at 5:34 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

If you are unpacking your new DRAWS™ HAT, here are a couple of resources to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C3cWVVz_A
(Be sure to do the git pull, to update as new features are being added .- including a new button to update DRAWS™ Manager)

J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Basil Gunn

Might be a little counter-intuitive, but in my install of Beta 10 all
of the fldigi-related program icons are in the “Internet” drop down
menu selections along with Xastir (which is also on the X desktop).

I guess that Basil did not set up a dedicated Ham Radio group in his
configuration.
Nope I leave that up to the guys that maintain those particular apps. If
you have problems with any of those apps or how they get installed
please let them know.

/Basil

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>

Basil, I’m looking at the files in the draws directory. Under hfapps I see wsjt-x and two other folders I don’t recognize but no fldigi. Rick. Ka4ohm

On Apr 3, 2019, at 8:54 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

This is the link to a list of all the programs installed on the image:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md

FLdigi is definitely installed. If you need to install from a gui click
the raspberry icon in the top left corner, then click Internet, then
click fldigi.

Where exactly are you looking?

/Basil

Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

Greetings John. I have installed the Draws image to my Rpi. I don’t
see fldigi listed under Hf programs. Is that correct? Rick Waller
Ka4ohm

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>

Thanks Jack. I  will check that. Rick. Ka4ohm

On Apr 3, 2019, at 8:57 PM, Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what you are asking. fldigi is installed. You can run it
from the LXDE window manager main menu or you can run it from the console.

$ which fldigi
/usr/local/bin/fldigi

If you are looking for the source or package for the apps that are
installed.

$ ls /usr/local/src
direwolf-dev flamp-2.2.04 flmsg-4.0.8 flxmlrpc-0.1.4 hamlib-3.3 paclink-unix yaac
fbb-7.0.8-beta7 fldigi-4.1.01 flrig-1.3.42 gpsd-3.18.1 js8call_1.0.0_armhf.deb wsjtx_2.0.1_armhf.deb

[...]

Bob NW8L

This is controlled by the .desktop files included in the source distribution of fldigi and friends in the "data" directory and installed into /usr/local/share/applications. In these files the menu categories are given as "Network" and "HamRadio". "Network" is usually labeled as "Internet" in the menu, so that's where they go. There's usually no "HamRadio" category defined in the menu. In earlier times, when I installed from source I edited the .desktop files to remove "Network" and then edited the menu to create the "HamRadio" category into which they would then fall. If I didn't create the "HamRadio" category then they usually turned up in "Other", at least in Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Nowadays I don't bother and accept their location in "Internet".

Bob NW8L

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>

Thanks for the info. I will follow your suggestions. Rick.

On Apr 3, 2019, at 10:26 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

[...]

Basil,

Sorry for unjustly pointing a finger! Please accept my apology and particularly my thanks for all that you and the rest of the NWD team have done to bring DRAWS to life.

I have been experimenting with DRAWS (and having fun with discovery) since the late November 2018 "early adopter" boards were sent out, so I have journeyed with the process of the pre-beta and beta Compass/Stretch OS distribution development, so things like this are no longer "strange" to me. Early on I was puzzled that in my non-DRAWS pi Raspbian installs, the fldigi suite and a number of other amateur radio programs are automagically put into a Ham Radio group. This difference may have been what confused Rick (before he explored the menus).

Again, best wishes and may this product continue to move like hotcakes...

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

Might be a little counter-intuitive, but in my install of Beta 10 all
of the fldigi-related program icons are in the “Internet” drop down
menu selections along with Xastir (which is also on the X desktop).

I guess that Basil did not set up a dedicated Ham Radio group in his
configuration.
Nope I leave that up to the guys that maintain those particular apps. If you have problems with any of those apps or how they get installed please let them know.

J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe a pointer or a visual added to the documentation will prevent the confusion of folks new to the setup.

I have had some “Ham” programs automagically install themselves in “Audio” (JS8Call and wsjt-x along with the Message Aggregator) or in “Internet” as I previously noted, or in a dedicated ham radio/communications menu category.

Since Compass/Stretch is udrc and DRAWS/radio oriented, putting Xastir, YACC, and the ax-25 “pacLink/Winlink-oid” handlers in “Internet” makes sense. But putting fldigi suite and wsjt-x into “Sound” seems a little less intuitive to me… basically all this stuff are sound card applications at heart.

Easy enough to sort this out myself by mucking around in the configuration and editing the .desktop files, but not all DRAWS users will be comfortable doing that until they have more experience with the OS.

Again, thanks for your comments about this!

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>

Thanks guys. I found fldigi under internet. Rick Ka4ohm