Received the draws hat today

Douglas

I got it in today.

Using my pi, i am trying to install the image onto a new microsd card.  Using the terminal, i downloaded the image and unzipped it.  Originally, when i went to write the image, i had forgotten to unmount the drive becuase my pi said unmount was an invalid command.  Then, when i did it properly, I get access denied to the card that i'm trying to write to?

What could be the issue?

Thank you,

Douglas

Douglas

Here is what i keep getting

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb           8:16   1 29.6G  1 disk
mmcblk0     179:0    0 14.9G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0 43.8M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0 14.8G  0 part /
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dcfldd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
bash: dcfldd: command not found
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied

I've been trying to right to sdb, it matches the sd card i have in the card reader.

when i use dd, it gives me permission denied.

Why are you using a Pi?

What computer did you download the file to, OS, type, and application?

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 19:34 Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
I got it in today.

Using my pi, i am trying to install the image onto a new microsd card.  Using the terminal, i downloaded the image and unzipped it.  Originally, when i went to write the image, i had forgotten to unmount the drive becuase my pi said unmount was an invalid command.  Then, when i did it properly, I get access denied to the card that i'm trying to write to?

What could be the issue?

Thank you,

Douglas

Douglas

It's my only working computer at this time, aside from my phone.  Using raspian desktop that is usually installed on the pi.

BJ

If you're formatting the sd card your pi is running on.. that's not going to work too swell.  You'd have to use a separate USB micro-sd card reader and format a second microsd card with the appropriate image while your pi runs off of the raspbian sd card.  This should be doable without having access to a 'real computer' :).

BJ, KC0NPF

On 3/23/19 22:53, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
Why are you using a Pi?

What computer did you download the file to, OS, type, and application?

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 19:34 Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
I got it in today.

Using my pi, i am trying to install the image onto a new microsd card.  Using the terminal, i downloaded the image and unzipped it.  Originally, when i went to write the image, i had forgotten to unmount the drive becuase my pi said unmount was an invalid command.  Then, when i did it properly, I get access denied to the card that i'm trying to write to?

What could be the issue?

Thank you,

Douglas

Jeff KC9WSJ

On Sat, 2019-03-23 at 20:10 -0700, Douglas KI7LIK wrote:
Here is what i keep getting

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb 8:16 1 29.6G 1 disk
mmcblk0 179:0 0 14.9G 0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 43.8M 0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 14.8G 0 part /
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dcfldd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
bash: dcfldd: command not found
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
user 'pi' does not have write access to /dev/sdb, it looks like.
try `sudo` or `su` or add the pi user to the correct group that can write to
the device.
<snip>

--
Jeff KC9WSJ <jeff@kc9wsj.us>