Topics

Success

Douglas

I was able to get it to boot.

Thanks for all you help, basil, john and everyone who helped.  Between not knowing much about linux and somehow not having a good file.  I downloaded the new current beta and installed beta 10.

Now onto the next stage of learning.

Thank you.

Congratulations

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 22:21 Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
I was able to get it to boot.

Thanks for all you help, basil, john and everyone who helped.  Between not knowing much about linux and somehow not having a good file.  I downloaded the new current beta and installed beta 10.

Now onto the next stage of learning.

Thank you.

Jeff Francis™

Speaking of beta10, does an "apt-get dist-upgrade" get me to the same place as downloading and installing beta10? I hate to have to re-install and re-configure everything I've set up.

Jeff/N0GQ

--
-=jeff=-

Basil Gunn

Jeff,

Speaking of beta10, does an "apt-get dist-upgrade" get me to the same place
as downloading and installing beta10?
In a perfect world yes, so NO.

If the following instructions cause your head to hurt then just download
the current beta here:
http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/downloads/

and follow the 'Getting Started' instructions here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

To update without blowing away your config files, to current BETA10
software from a previous image:

# As user (pi)
cd
cd n7nix
git pull

cd /usr/local/var/draws-manager

# Become root
sudo su
git pull

# Check for current versions of some HF ham programs.
# As user (pi) not root
cd
cd n7nix/hfprogs
# The following just displays version numbers
./hf_verchk.sh

# Update hf programs (this can take a long time)
# First increase the swap file size on your RPi
cat /proc/swaps

# if the size is 102396 you need to as ROOT edit /etc/dphys-swapfile
# Change CONF_SWAPSIZE=100 to CONF_SWAPSIZE=1000
# Reboot
sudo shutdown -r now

# Verify the swap size has changed
cat /proc/swaps
# Size should now be 1023996

# As user (pi)
cd
cd n7nix/hfprogs

# Update source files & build
./hf_verchk.sh -u

# Go for a walk or do something healthy.

# Reset CONF_SWAPSIZE= back to its original value & reboot your RPi

/Basil

Jeff Francis™ <jeff@gritch.org> writes:

Speaking of beta10, does an "apt-get dist-upgrade" get me to the same place
as downloading and installing beta10? I hate to have to re-install and
re-configure everything I've set up.

Jeff/N0GQ

Jeff Francis™

That worked, thank you. The update might be worth scripting for the less technical users, but had no errors. Do not yet have a radio wired up, just received my Hat in the mail late Friday afternoon.

Jeff/N0GQ

Jeff,

--
-=jeff=-

Basil Gunn

Jeff Francis™ <jeff@gritch.org> writes:

That worked, thank you. The update might be worth scripting for the less
technical users, but had no errors.
I just looked at the hf_verchk.sh script & I do not let any builds occur
unless the swap size has been increased to a value that works. I change the
system swap size in the script so you don't have to do that manually.

That script was only intended to be used by me to refresh an image but the
HF progs change at such a rate that the script may be useful to
others. Thanks for letting me know that it worked for you.

Do not yet have a radio wired up, just
received my Hat in the mail late Friday afternoon.
Have fun!

Jeff/N0GQ

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

Jeff,

Speaking of beta10, does an "apt-get dist-upgrade" get me to the same
place
as downloading and installing beta10?
In a perfect world yes, so NO.

Basil Gunn

Jeff Francis™ <jeff@gritch.org> writes:

The update might be worth scripting for the less
technical users, ...
Why is there a BETA11 image?
Because js8call was updated from 1.0.0-rc3 to final 1.0.0 after BETA10
was uploaded and the package url location changed.

If you are already using BETA9 or BETA10 images should you download a new image?
NO.
To update to the latest files on BETA11 do the following:

# Get the program refresher script:
cd
cd n7nix
git pull

# Run the program refresher script:
# The refresher script is in this directory ~/n7nix/bin/
cd bin
./prog_refresh.sh

If a new version of FLdigi is to be installed the script will change the
swap file size and you will be asked to reboot. Upon reboot just run the
prog_refresh.sh script again.

This is what the output of the prog_refresh.sh script looks like on an
up-to-date system:

cd ~/n7nix/bin
$ ./prog_refresh.sh
Update scripts in n7nix directory
Already up-to-date.
Refresh local bin directory

FINISHED copying bin files

FINISHED copying AX.25 files
Update draws manager
Already up-to-date.
Update HF programs
Swap file size check: 100M
Update HF apps after checking version numbers.

js8call: current version: 1.0.0, installed: 1.0.0
version is current
wsjtx: current version: 2.0.1, installed: 2.0.1
version is current
Library: libflxmlrpc IS loaded.
flxmlrpc: current version: 0.1.4, installed: 0.1.4
version is current
fldigi: current version: 4.1.01, installed: 4.1.01
version is current
flrig: current version: 1.3.42, installed: 1.3.42
version is current
flmsg: current version: 4.0.8, installed: 4.0.8
version is current
flamp: current version: 2.2.04, installed: 2.2.04
version is current

2019 04 03 09:06:13 PDT: hf_verchk.sh: hf program update script FINISHED

2019 04 03 09:06:13 PDT: prog_refresh.sh: Program Refresh script FINISHED

/Basil n7nix