Topics

Basic Direwolf question #draws #direwolf #ax25

Dave N2OA

I know this is more of a software question but I'm trying to figure out how to get direwolf to beacon APRS with position. I enabled the lines in direwolf.conf but it doesn't seem to TX and I don't see where it would grab the position information. I've never used this app before so I'm starting from scratch and a go read this response would be great. I did run through the tests and it did tx and rx fine once I got the rx audio adjusted.

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA

There are two approaches:
1. Use direwolf simply as a KISS/AGW/NETWORK attached TNC and let the applications generate the position data (eg. YAAC)
2. Make sure gpsd is configured in direwolf.conf -- see 9.8.2 in the User Manual and use a TBEACON (9.9.4 in the manual). Or use a PBEACON  (9.9.1 in manual) for a fixed location.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:43 AM Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@...> wrote:
I know this is more of a software question but I'm trying to figure out how to get direwolf to beacon APRS with position. I enabled the lines in direwolf.conf but it doesn't seem to TX and I don't see where it would grab the position information. I've never used this app before so I'm starting from scratch and a go read this response would be great. I did run through the tests and it did tx and rx fine once I got the rx audio adjusted.

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA
_._,_._,_

Gary KC3PO

I haven't had a chance to really dig in to how things are set up yet, but it sounds like the Direwolf service may not be running - so you may need to start it, or might even need to set up systemd.

Here's a pretty simple to digest overview that will hopefully head you in the right direction:

https://www.seapac.org/workshop-presentations_files/SEA-PAC2017-RPi-workshop,session-2,APRS-direwolf-xastir.pdf

- Gary  KC3PO

Basil Gunn

I'm trying to figure out how to get direwolf to beacon APRS with position.
See beacmin.sh & btest.sh scripts in n7nix/debug

My suggestion would be to use a script that pulls lat & lon from gpsd
and sends a position using AX.25 beacon command. Both of the scripts
send a single beacon. If you want to beacon at some interval then add
this line to your crontab:

ie: every half hour
*/30 * * * * /bin/bash /home/pi/n7nix/debug/beacmin.sh

ie: every hour at minute 0
0 * * * * /bin/bash /home/pi/n7nix/debug/beacmin.sh

ie: every hour at minute 15
15 * * * * /bin/bash /home/pi/n7nix/debug/beacmin.sh

# Get latest versions
cd
cd n7nix
git pull

# run like this
cd
cd n7nix/debug

# This sends a position beacon

./beacmin.sh
Sent: /usr/local/sbin/beacon -c N7NIX-15 -d 'APUDR1 via WIDE1-1' -l -s udr0 !4829.06N/12254.11Wp05 08:32:58 PDT, Seq: 10

# This sends a message beacon

./btest.sh
*** Running as user: pi ***
Send a message beacon
Sent: BEACON -c N7NIX-11 -d 'APUDR1 via WIDE1-1' -l -s udr0 :N7NIX :05 08:45:12 PDT N7NIX mesg_beacon test from host mhams on port udr0 Seq: 15

# This sends a position beacon

./btest.sh -p
*** Running as user: pi ***
Send a position beacon
Sent: BEACON -c N7NIX-11 -d 'APUDR1 via WIDE1-1' -l -s udr0 !4829.06N/12254.11W-05 09:04:16 PDT, from mhams on port udr0 Seq: 16

./btest.sh -h

Usage: btest.sh [-P <port>][-s <num>][-p][-m][-v][-h]
-P <portname> | --portname <portname> eg. udr0
-s <num> | --sid <num> set sid in callsign, number 0-15
-p | --position send a position beacon
-m | --message send a message beacon (default)
-v | --verbose display verbose messages
-h | --help display this message

/Basil n7nix

Manual <https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/raw/master/doc/User-Guide.pdf> and

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:43 AM Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@gmail.com> wrote:

I know this is more of a software question but I'm trying to figure out
how to get direwolf to beacon APRS with position. I enabled the lines in
direwolf.conf but it doesn't seem to TX and I don't see where it would grab
the position information. I've never used this app before so I'm starting
from scratch and a go read this response would be great. I did run through
the tests and it did tx and rx fine once I got the rx audio adjusted.

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA
_._,_._,_

Dave N2OA

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:09 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:

Thanks for the answers and Basil for the scrips. I tried the beacmin.sh script and it does beacon but I am not getting a location on my TH-D74 or FTM-400. I also notice that the SSID is always is always 15 even though my SSID in axports is set to -1.

The message sent is
Sent: /usr/local/sbin/beacon -d N2OA-15 -d 'APUDR1 via WIDE1-1' -l -s udr0 !43.01165833N/78.1899Wp05 16:19:08 EDT, Seq: 15

I do get an error in line 52: 01165833: value too great for base (error token is "011658333")

I also noticed int your example you show beacon -c and mine is showing -d and the decimal is 2 digits in for lat and long which I would expect but your example show 4 digits and then a decimal. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA

Basil Gunn

Dave,
Thanks for trying out my script.
I will fix the errors you are seeing but I need some more info.
Could you please do the following:

# Go to the directory where beacmin.sh lives.

cd
cd n7nix/debug

# Using your favorite text editor change the following two lines near
# the top of the file.

# 1. Get rid the hash symbol in front of DEBUG=1
#DEBUG=1

# 2. Change the SID number to what ever you want to use.
SID=15

Now run the the beacmin.sh script and copy & paste the console output to me in
an email.

Thanks, Dave.
/Basil

Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@gmail.com> writes:

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:09 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:

Thanks for the answers and Basil for the scrips. I tried thebeacmin.sh script and it does beacon but I am not getting a location on my TH-D74 or FTM-400. I also notice that the SSID is always is always 15 even though my SSID in axports is set to -1.

The message sent is Sent: /usr/local/sbin/beacon -d N2OA-15 -d 'APUDR1 via WIDE1-1' -l -s udr0 !43.01165833N/78.1899Wp05 16:19:08 EDT, Seq: 15

I do get an error in line 52: 01165833: value too great for base (error token is "011658333")

I also noticed int your example you show beacon -c and mine is showing -d and the decimal is 2 digits in for lat and long which I would expect but your example show 4 digits and then a decimal. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA

Dave N2OA

Thank you. I did a search on SSID so I missed the SID and thought it pulled it with the call.

Here is the results of beacmin.sh with debug turned on.

pi@n2oa-draws-1:~/n7nix/debug $ ./beacmin.sh
Read 1 lines of gps data
gpsdata: 43.01159
-78.189806667
lat: 43.01159
lon: -78.189806667
./beacmin.sh: line 52: 01159: value too great for base (error token is "01159")
axports: found line: udr0 N2OA-1 9600 255 2 Direwolf port
udr1 N2OA-10 9600 255 2 Winlink port

Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@...> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:09 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
>
> Thanks for the answers and Basil for the scrips. I tried thebeacmin.sh script and it does beacon but I am not getting a location on my TH-D74 or FTM-400. I also notice that the SSID is always is always 15 even though my SSID in axports is set to -1.
>
> The message sent is Sent: /usr/local/sbin/beacon -d N2OA-15 -d 'APUDR1 via WIDE1-1' -l -s udr0 !43.01165833N/78.1899Wp05 16:19:08 EDT, Seq: 15
>
> I do get an error in line 52: 01165833: value too great for base (error token is "011658333")
>
> I also noticed int your example you show beacon -c and mine is showing -d and the decimal is 2 digits in for lat and long which I would expect but your example show 4 digits and then a decimal. Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
> N2OA

Basil Gunn

Dave N20A,

I checked-in a fix to the problem that you reported with beacmin.sh.
Fix GPS to APRS position format: Degrees Minutes.m
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/commit/5821f4ff36b3ca976439c9325f484664476e839a

To get the new script:
I you modified the beacmin.sh script in n7nix/debug then you need to remove it.

cd
cd n7nix/debug
rm beacmin.sh

# To get new script
git pull

When you first run beacmin.sh in may take some time to install the bc program, an
arbitrary precision command line calculator. It will run much more
quickly the next times.

When you get a chance please run beacmin.sh and let me know if it meets your
expectations. You should edit the script to set the SSID to what ever
you want. You should also set the beacon_msg string to use a different icon

Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@gmail.com> writes:

Thank you. I did a search on SSID so I missed the SID and thought it pulled
it with the call.

Here is the results of beacmin.sh with debug turned on.

pi@n2oa-draws-1:~/n7nix/debug $ ./beacmin.sh
Read 1 lines of gps data
gpsdata: 43.01159
-78.189806667
lat: 43.01159
lon: -78.189806667
./beacmin.sh: line 52: 01159: value too great for base (error token is
"01159")
axports: found line: udr0 N2OA-1 9600 255 2 Direwolf port
udr1 N2OA-10 9600 255 2 Winlink port
!43.01159N/78.189806667Wp06 15:46:43 EDT, Seq: 21

Dave
N2OA

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the delay. I finally got a chance to try it last night and it seems to be working as expected. Not that it's likely to be an issue for me but is that script limited to North latitude and West longitude? It looks hard coded.

Thank you!

Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@...> writes:

> Thank you. I did a search on SSID so I missed the SID and thought it pulled
> it with the call.
>
> Here is the results of beacmin.sh with debug turned on.
>
> pi@n2oa-draws-1:~/n7nix/debug $ ./beacmin.sh
> Read 1 lines of gps data
> gpsdata: 43.01159
> -78.189806667
> lat: 43.01159
> lon: -78.189806667
> ./beacmin.sh: line 52: 01159: value too great for base (error token is
> "01159")
> axports: found line: udr0 N2OA-1 9600 255 2 Direwolf port
> udr1 N2OA-10 9600 255 2 Winlink port

Basil Gunn

Sorry about the delay. I finally got a chance to try it last night and it
seems to be working as expected. Not that it's likely to be an issue for me
but is that script limited to North latitude and West longitude? It looks
hard coded.
(Another) New version of beacmin.sh parses nema sentences instead of
gpsd sentences. Parsing nema sentences is less work to put into APRS
format & adds parameterized lat/lon direction.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/commit/772431d2201a5e6f5a3af2771559d13a7efa817c

You are right this fix is not an issue for your location.

/Basil n7nix

Thank you!

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 6:53 PM Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

[...]

Ok thanks for the help and I’ll give the new one a try too.