Topics

+12V polarity? #12vsupply

Trying to get up and running with my new DRAWS hat. A DRAWS brochure from 9/18, http://nwdigitalradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DRAWSBrochure.pdf , labels the 12V plug, looking down onto the board, with + on the left, going into the round solder pad. - on the right, going into the square solder pad. A DRAWS Brochure from 11/18, http://nwdigitalradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DRAWSBrochure-1.pdf ,  on the current website, labels the polarity as opposite. On the draws board I received a couple days ago, the red lead on the power pigtail is on the left, going to the round solder pad, black is on the right going to the square solder pad. There is also a caution under one of the #power threads to mind the polarity of the pigtail, https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/2227 . Which solder pad is +? the round on the left or the square on the right? My pigtail with the red lead going to the round solder pad matches the older brochure, assuming red leads are + like on powerpoles.

TIA
David

And to further confuse me, the red and black pigtail wires on the board in this video are opposite the board I received.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzHA_cjuwM

Loring Kutchins

Now I’m concerned. I have not yet powered my DRAWS/Pi yet, and the post about “smoke” makes me want to wait until we get some clarification on the confusion. Labeling on the board obviously doesn’t exist. I bet there are a couple different board versions/batches, or plug+pigtails got assembled improperly. Please set us straight!

—Lor W3QA

I don't have one of the latest shipment of boards to physically examine, but red should be positive on the leads.  I have alerted the engineer to confirm, but perhaps someone else has already wired theirs' up and can confirm?

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 1:29 PM Loring Kutchins <lor.kutchins@...> wrote:
Now I’m concerned. I have not yet powered my DRAWS/Pi yet, and the post about “smoke” makes me want to wait until we get some clarification on the confusion. Labeling on the board obviously doesn’t exist. I bet there are a couple different board versions/batches, or plug+pigtails got assembled improperly. Please set us straight!

—Lor W3QA

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>

For what it’s worth, I just powered up my draws hat which is a relatively recent production ( I assume) because I received it last week. The Rpi received power from the hat and functioned normally. No smoke was released. I attached the 12 volt supply using the standard red black convention. Now the draws hat is a different matter altogether. Other than working as a buck converter , I couldn’t get it to do anything else. Rick Ka4ohm.

OK - then the red positive should work.  After that be sure to review https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Image-getting-started

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 1:40 PM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
For what it’s worth, I just powered up my draws hat which is a relatively recent production ( I assume) because I received it last week. The Rpi received power from the hat and functioned normally. No smoke was released. I attached the 12 volt supply using the standard red black convention. Now the draws hat is a different matter altogether. Other than working as a buck converter , I couldn’t get it to do anything else. Rick Ka4ohm.
> On Apr 6, 2019, at 4:15 PM, Loring Kutchins <lor.kutchins@...> wrote:
>
> Now I’m concerned. I have not yet powered my DRAWS/Pi yet, and the post about “smoke” makes me want to wait until we get some clarification on the confusion. Labeling on the board obviously doesn’t exist. I bet there are a couple different board versions/batches, or plug+pigtails got assembled improperly. Please set us straight!
>
> —Lor W3QA

Thanks so much!

Gary KC3PO

The PCB is actually marked.

If you look at the solder pads under the white power connector, you'll see that one is square (the one nearest the GPS). Square = positive.

- Gary  KC3PO

Well, my pigtail black goes to square solder pad. Maybe wait to hear from the engineer before I plug in.

Budd Churchward

A simple multi-meter will tell you everything you need to know. Set the meter up to show continuity. Mine beeps steady when I touch the two probes together. With a stand-alone board, not connected to anything, place one probe on top of one metal 6 pin mini DIN case. This is ground. Touch the other probe to either of the pins in the white JST power jack. If you hear a steady tone, that pin is ground. NOTE: you may hear a short beep when you touch the 12 Volt pin, but it will not keep sounding. That is normal.

Budd WB7FHC

Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [udrc] +12V polarity? #12vsupply

Well, my pigtail black goes to square solder pad. Maybe wait to hear from the engineer before I plug in.

Thanks, will do!

Mr. Gary is correct according to Mr. Budd's continuity test. My pigtail leads are switched, yikes. Thanks all!

David, KE7RGP

Budd Churchward

It’s a good thing that you caught that. You can take a small sharp pointed tool and press down on the tab that holds the wire into the plug and slide it out. Reverse the leads and push them back into the plug.

As you can see from the photo below, I have run into this problem before. Sometimes we have to watch out for what our friends in China send us.

jstProblems

Budd Churchward WB7FHC

Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 2:44 PM

Mr. Gary is correct according to Mr. Budd's continuity test. My pigtail leads are switched, yikes. Thanks all!

David, KE7RGP

Yessir, that worked like a charm. Making a powerpole adapter as we type. I'm honored to learn from you more experienced folks.

David KE7RGP

Red Lead Plus is on the right on all DRAWS Boards. They were opposite on some prototypes that were never shipped. Hence the documentation.

Some pigtails arrived reversed so we had to swap them. This has been a problem, so we have a new dedicated supplier that builds to our spec,

If your cable is BW let us know and we will ship a replacement.

There is a reverse protection diode but if you haven’t fused the link (2A recommended) the diode will short out.

Bryan K7UDR

On Apr 6, 2019, at 9:46 AM, David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you sir, that clears up everything. And copy on the 2A fuse. I have my pigtail sorted now but thanks for the kind offer to send another. I WILL buy one of those nice looking cases when they come online!

David KE7RGP

Loring Kutchins

That’s the info I was waiting to know. Thanks. Unlike David’s, mine seems to be wired correctly.

—Lor W3QA