Topics

Icom 706MKIIG Setup #ptt #icom

Todd

Has anybody had any success with setting up and getting operational with a Icom 706 series? I'm having some headway made with limited CAT control but no PTT. Anyone have a work around getting PTT operational?
THX,
Todd
AL7PX

This a known issue with the IC-706 and some other early CI-V radios.  Depending on the program, there are other solutions.  For example, fldigi and direwolf support keying using GPIO on the Raspberry Pi, which in turn is wired to the Mini DIN-6 jacks on the DRAWS™ HAT.  Other programs support VOX based keying or using lines on RS-232 (http://www.xggcomms.com/userimages/Icom_IC_Cable_1.pdf) or Parallel ports.

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 6:08 PM Todd via Groups.Io <ic7461=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Has anybody had any success with setting up and getting operational with a Icom 706 series? I'm having some headway made with limited CAT control but no PTT. Anyone have a work around getting PTT operational?
THX,
Todd
AL7PX

Todd

So, what I guess your saying is I can't use the 6 pin DIN connectors directly to my 6 pin DIN on the back of my Icom 706MKIIG radio. I did try and configure Fldigi with the GPIO setting but wasn't successful. Cannot key the radio with fldigi either. Same condition with JS8Call.

You should be able to use GPIO keying with the mini DIN-6 cable.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 3:52 PM Todd via Groups.Io <ic7461=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So, what I guess your saying is I can't use the 6 pin DIN connectors directly to my 6 pin DIN on the back of my Icom 706MKIIG radio. I did try and configure Fldigi with the GPIO setting but wasn't successful. Cannot key the radio with fldigi either. Same condition with JS8Call.

I use my 706 for packet with PTT over the mini din 6 along with rig control using a USB CI-V cable

Todd

Got Fldigi operational finally. Took some GPIO settings in the configuration tab to get it to work. FLdigi has a great HELP section.  GPIO on your Pi you can set the gpio port on fldigi's
GPIO configuration tab.  The UDRC-II for example uses pin 16, BCM # 23,
for push to talk.  It has an LED indicator on the board to show when PTT
has been enabled.  For this board you select "BCM 23" and select the
corresponding "= 1 (on)" check box.
Not sure where the LED is located on the DRAWS board. I only saw the RED power LED light.
This needed to be done before I could get PTT operation on my 706MKIIG.
Next will be JS8CALL. Not as easy as FLdigi.

Todd

Can anybody tell me how to manually KEY the PTT line?
Todd

Corky Searls

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "manually key the PTT." With ICOM rigs if you short the PTT line to ground  it will put the radio in transmit mode. This can be done either on the MIC connector or the rear data connector.

-Corky

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, at 8:38 PM, Todd via Groups.Io wrote:
Can anybody tell me how to manually KEY the PTT line?
Todd

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

Disable other programs using the pin (direwolf, wsjtx, ...)

Left PTT -- toggle will switch state from off to on or on to off
gpio -g toggle 12
Right PTT -- toggle will switch state from off to on or on to off
gpio -g toggle 23

Find out more with

man gpio

For good measure reboot after playing with toggle.  (In case of typos)

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 8:38 PM Todd via Groups.Io <ic7461=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can anybody tell me how to manually KEY the PTT line?
Todd

Todd

Got it working 100%. Thanks for the help John. Here's the script:

#!/bin/bash

STATE=$1
PIN=23
if [  $# -le 0 ]; then
    echo -e "\nUsage:\n$0 state \n"
    exit 1
fi

if [ "$STATE" = "on" ]; then
    echo "gpio -g toggling $PIN on";
    gpio -g write $PIN 1
else
    echo "gpio -g toggling $PIN off";
    gpio -g write $PIN 0
fi

Todd
AL7PX

Josh H. KB6FJ

great work Todd on figuring this out.

I was able to create the script and I can now transmit with the draws on my OG IC-706

Thanks for all the legwork.
Josh
KB6FJ

Todd

Glad you got it operational Josh. I couldn't have done it without the help of John Hays here and Jordan Sherer who developed Js8Call. There are many flavors of the Icom 706's still out there. This is the best way to "KEY" the radio and use the 6 pin data DIN.
Todd
AL7PX

Richard Waller

John, by left and right are you referring to the mini din connectors? Ka4ohm

Todd

Correct Richard. You can determine which one your connected to by entering either command and see which one KEYS your radio. Mine was on the right DIN. Then you use correct pin number in your script.
Todd
AL7PX

Richard Waller

Thanks Todd. Ka4ohm

On Apr 17, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Todd via Groups.Io <ic7461@...> wrote:

Correct Richard. You can determine which one your connected to by entering either command and see which one KEYS your radio. Mine was on the right DIN. Then you use correct pin number in your script.
Todd
AL7PX

Yes, looking at the side of the HAT, it's SMA, left DIN, right DIN. Also the.CODEC left channel goes to the left, right channel to right DIN. Same with the GPIO PTT.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019, 17:18 Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
John, by left and right are you referring to the mini din connectors? Ka4ohm

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Looks like I don't have any permissions to edit the wiki (Which is ok)...

I tried to look for this information when I was setting some stuff up, but couldn't really find it.  Maybe I could have read the schematics and discerned the answer that way, but maybe make something like this a little more obvious?  I remember back in the early PC days, you could get books full of pinouts for chips and ports and the like.

I found the pinouts in the brochure, but this is the first I've heard that the left DIN was the left audio channel and the right was the right.  I assumed that both ports could do left, right, stereo mix if not stereo separation.

---
looking at the side of the HAT, it's SMA, left DIN, right DIN. Also the.CODEC left channel goes to the left, right channel to right DIN. Same with the GPIO PTT.
---

Not criticism, just a suggestion to make things easier for people like me ;-)

Regards,
- Steve, KM9G

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:57 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Yes, looking at the side of the HAT, it's SMA, left DIN, right DIN. Also the.CODEC left channel goes to the left, right channel to right DIN. Same with the GPIO PTT.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019, 17:18 Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
John, by left and right are you referring to the mini din connectors? Ka4ohm

Basil Gunn

Hi Steve,

I openly admit that I suck at documentation. It was never my day job. I
hope the hardware guys realize that they also suck at documentation and
act on your suggestion.

Also note that the UDRC II hat is different from the DRAWS hat. The HD
15 connector on the right is the first port (port 0 if you are direwolf,
port 1 if you are Xastir). The mDin6 port is the second port (port 1 if
you are direwolf, port 2 if you are Xastir).

/Basil

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

[...]

;-)

Regards,
- Steve, KM9G

verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

John, by left and right are you referring to the mini din connectors?
Ka4ohm

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

I'd be happy to help out (as you've seen by my videos)

Did you get my setalsa-ft891.sh script/suggestions?  I saw you were making a TON of changes for beta12, maybe for the next round?

Those setting are mathematically correct, but might not be best for the real world... if there is a test you'd like me to run, I'd be happy to do it.

- Steve

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

I openly admit that I suck at documentation. It was never my day job. I
hope the hardware guys realize that they also suck at documentation and
act on your suggestion.

Also note that the UDRC II hat is different from the DRAWS hat. The HD
15 connector on the right is the first port (port 0 if you are direwolf,
port 1 if you are Xastir). The mDin6 port is the second port (port 1 if
you are direwolf, port 2 if you are Xastir).

/Basil

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

> Looks like I don't have any permissions to edit the wiki (Which is ok)...
>
> I tried to look for this information when I was setting some stuff up, but
> couldn't really find it.  Maybe I could have read the schematics and
> discerned the answer that way, but maybe make something like this a little
> more obvious?  I remember back in the early PC days, you could get books
> full of pinouts for chips and ports and the like.
>
> I found the pinouts in the brochure, but this is the first I've heard that
> the left DIN was the left audio channel and the right was the right.  I
> assumed that both ports could do left, right, stereo mix if not stereo
> separation.
>
> ---
> looking at the side of the HAT, it's SMA, left DIN, right DIN. Also
> the.CODEC left channel goes to the left, right channel to right DIN. Same
> with the GPIO PTT.
> ---
>
> Not criticism, just a suggestion to make things easier for people like me
> ;-)
>
> Regards,
> - Steve, KM9G
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:57 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
>
>> Yes, looking at the side of the HAT, it's SMA, left DIN, right DIN. Also
>> the.CODEC left channel goes to the left, right channel to right DIN. Same
>> with the GPIO PTT.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019, 17:18 Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=
>> verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>>> John, by left and right are you referring to the mini din connectors?
>>> Ka4ohm

Richard Waller

Thanks John.