Topics

PiGate

Gary KC3PO

Has anyone integrated the PiGate (KDØQYN) into the Draws image and/or are there plans to do it with the main NW Digital Draws image? Seems like a slam dunk.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done it or working on it.

- Gary KC3PO

Hi Gary,

What feature does PiGate have that isn’t already on the image?

Bryan K7UDR

Gary KC3PO

All or most of the pieces seem to be there (haven't checked to see if SquirrelMail is there, but it can be added obviously)...

I'm mainly talking about the integration that was done... ideally, I'd like to run a setup script and fire up the hot spot, web server, mail server, etc and have it ready to roll. It's not rocket science for someone familiar with the pieces, but there would be some legwork and trial and error for someone to recreate the wheel.

- Gary  KC3PO

Julie McGrew

Actually there are a number of issues that would make this a heavy lift.

First off, squirrelmail uses php 5 and is not Stretch friendly.  Also, that email client is now poorly supported.  PiGate 1.5 currently does not run on the new RPI 3 B+.  There are some recent issues with changes made by the WDT that Mark Griffith has been working on, but you would have to contact him for current status.

Not to be negative as I very much like PiGate and respect the hard work Mark has put into that project.  If fact, I’ve built several over the past couple years.  Just noting that it may be a more complex undertaking than seen at first “blush”.  :)

73,
julie mcgrew
ac0wn

On Apr 9, 2019, at 4:02 PM, Gary KC3PO <kc3po@...> wrote:

All or most of the pieces seem to be there (haven't checked to see if SquirrelMail is there, but it can be added obviously)...

I'm mainly talking about the integration that was done... ideally, I'd like to run a setup script and fire up the hot spot, web server, mail server, etc and have it ready to roll. It's not rocket science for someone familiar with the pieces, but there would be some legwork and trial and error for someone to recreate the wheel.

- Gary  KC3PO

Basil Gunn

You can look at a list of programs that are installed on the DRAWS image
here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md

SquirrelMail is not there. I chose rainloop for the web based email
client. https://www.rainloop.net/

When you run ./app_config.sh plu

paclink-unix postfix, dovecot, lighttpd, mutt, claws-mail & rainloop all get
installed. That gives you a choice of 3 email clients & a web based
interface to paclink-unix. If you want an RMS Gateway that can be
installed via scripts as well.

You need an Internet connection when you do this install and it helps if
you already have your Winlink password. Use this link to get a Winlink
account: https://winlink.org/user

I understand this needs a lot more documentation.
It was difficult to configure the gui email clients with a script so use
these notes for each gui email app:

claws-mail:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/email/claws/README.md

rainloop:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/email/rainloop

THIS is not PiGate. You should talk to Mark Griffith if that is what you
want.

/Basil

Gary KC3PO <kc3po@arrl.net> writes:

All or most of the pieces seem to be there (haven't checked to see if
SquirrelMail is there, but it can be added obviously)...

I'm mainly talking about the integration that was done... ideally, I'd
like to run a setup script and fire up the hot spot, web server, mail
server, etc and have it ready to roll. It's not rocket science for
someone familiar with the pieces, but there would be some legwork and
trial and error for someone to recreate the wheel.

- Gary KC3PO

Gary KC3PO

Julie,

All valid points - I'm not saying it HAS to be PiGate... but a DRAWS adaptation with the same or similar functionality would be nice, and a great use of DRAWS.

I'm hoping someone with more spare time than I have is interested in doing something along those lines. I'd be happy to help where I could, but honestly have too much on my plate at the moment.

- Gary  KC3PO

Gary KC3PO

Thanks for the pointers, I'll take a look.

It doesn't HAVE to be "PiGate" (at least in my opinion)... but similar functionality would be nice - and of course there are numerous ways to get same/similar functionality.

- Gary  KC3PO