DRAWS + FT-891 + WSJT-X/FT8

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Trying to get WSJT-X working for the next video. Details First, Questions at the end.

Radio: Yaesu FT-891
CAT control works over USB
Radio connected via LEFT Audio port (closest to GPS port)
RIGHT Audio port disabled via DRAWS Manager
I’ve ran `sudo bin/setalsa-ft817.sh`

Audio Input of `sysdefault:CARD=udrc/Mono` works fine and I’m decoding signals

I am unable to find an audio output setting that does anything.  Valid choices are:

default
sysdefault:card=alsa
sysdefault:card=udrc
hw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=1
plughw:card=udrc,dev=0

This radio works fine with a separate signalink and linux PC.

The FT-891 manuals do not specify what the “Peak to Peak Input Voltage” is, so I can not complete the calculations.

It appears that when the software triggers the PTT, that ambient shack noise is being transmitted instead of the audio/data stream from the DRAWS. (I can't whistle FT8 yet, but I'm getting close)

I have not pulled out pin 6 yet, the prev thread with Julian didn’t conclude if that was necessary or not.

Questions:
  1. What is the Peak to Peak Input Voltage of the FT-891
  2. What is the proper sound output device
  3. Any suggestions for what might be missing or what to try next?
73s,
Steve, KM9G

Corky

Steve, pulling pin 6 is a requirement for any Yaesu radio as the radio treats this as an input and will do nothing.

-Corky

--
Thanks and 73,
-Craig, AF4PM

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 3.22.13 PM.png
This should be your audio setting in wsjtx

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 3:15 PM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
[...]

Input and output set to plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0.  Audio Channel set to left.  Pin 6 Removed.

Decode continues to work.

Transmit continues to NOT work.
Transmit continues to transmit ambient shack noise instead of anything from DRAWS.

What's next?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 5:25 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

August Johnson KG7BZ

You need to change the setting in the Radio that tells it to use the Data connector for transmit audio, instead of from the Microphone. You want MODE = DAT(a) instead of MODE = SSB.

August KG7BZ

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:28 PM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by "Ambient Shack Noise"?

From this end it indicates that it is picking up from a microphone, which the DRAWS™ HAT does not have.  Check August's suggestion.  You could also see if you are getting the noise if the microphone is unplugged.

[...]

art upton <artupton@...>

<Quoting:Corky Searls --- Steve, pulling pin 6 is a requirement for any Yaesu radio as the radio treats this as an input and will do nothing.>

FYI  I got my FT-891 working months ago in the first shipments without pulling Pin 6. I sent my Alsa settings to others so they could get theirs working in the very early beta images.
Is there something now in the newer images that made the software work this pin that was not there before?

Seems I need to update my image and check and see.....

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Did some more testing and here are my results.  See below for an individual response to the very helpful suggestions that have come in so far.

I have not been able to get any messages out via FT8 on any setup today.  We are in the middle of a pretty big snow storm.  I am receiving fine, but can't get through the storm.

Something new I noticed is that on the linux+signalink setup I am hearing through the radio the FT8 transmit.  On DRAWS I hear nothing.  No changes to the radio in either situation.

August's Notes:

I have the Data In menu setting setup for REAR instead of MIC. (JC mentions this in a future email as well)

John Hays' Notes:

Ambient Shack Noise = Noises that I make in the shack, knocking on the workbench, speaking loud enough , etc.  This is coming from the handheld mic.  Turns out the mic has always been "hot" even on the old config.  Never noticed it as I never had a reason to before.

No shack noise when the mic is unplugged.

John Chablako's Notes:

Menu 08-09 is already set to REAR

I am using Input:

plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
Output: plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0

But in left setting per John Hays

Julian's Notes:

Pin 6 is pulled.  Once I get this working, I'll have no way to verify if this was the fix or not.  I'm in the process of making up a cable for the Kenwood TM-281 to test out APRS from the Right MiniDIN port.

Thanks and looking forward to the next round of testing!

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM art upton via Groups.Io <artupton=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
<Quoting:Corky Searls --- Steve, pulling pin 6 is a requirement for any Yaesu radio as the radio treats this as an input and will do nothing.>

FYI  I got my FT-891 working months ago in the first shipments without pulling Pin 6. I sent my Alsa settings to others so they could get theirs working in the very early beta images.
Is there something now in the newer images that made the software work this pin that was not there before?

Seems I need to update my image and check and see.....

john.chabalko@...

What mode is your radio in? I'm just catching up on these threads this morning but i noticed if i left my radio in SSB (by mistake) it opened the mic on transmit and generated a feedback loop since i had the speaker on.

When i switch to data (long press on "BAND", select DATA) it works as it should. I too have not pulled pin 6 - and i'm not sure what that means - are you guys actually clipping pin 6 from the cable?)

So far i've adjusted my levels by turning on MON in the Function-1 menu and adjusting levels until the ALC appears reasonable. I've been getting out with FT8 quite well but have only been doing it for a few days, and not at QRP.

That's a pretty coarse grained audio setup i think but it's working ok for me right now.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Radio is in DATA mode for today's round of testing.

Width was setup to 500, now it is 3000, graph looks much better now.  Decoded signals look much better.

For the record in USB mode where I was getting a wider graph it was set to 2400.

AND (drumroll please). I was able to make a contact with W5VGR.

Signal report:  Sent: -05, Received -09

Right now my settings are:

'PCM' -3dB,-3dB
'ADC Level' 0.0dB,0.0dB
'LO Driver Gain' -6.0dB,-6.0dB

Let me know (based on my sample size of 1 I know) if there is any room for improvement to be had.

I'm going to keep trying for contacts today, snowy, cold and pretty much miserable here after the late (still?) winter, so why not.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 1:21 PM <john.chabalko@...> wrote:
What mode is your radio in? I'm just catching up on these threads this morning but i noticed if i left my radio in SSB (by mistake) it opened the mic on transmit and generated a feedback loop since i had the speaker on.

When i switch to data (long press on "BAND", select DATA) it works as it should. I too have not pulled pin 6 - and i'm not sure what that means - are you guys actually clipping pin 6 from the cable?)

So far i've adjusted my levels by turning on MON in the Function-1 menu and adjusting levels until the ALC appears reasonable. I've been getting out with FT8 quite well but have only been doing it for a few days, and not at QRP.

That's a pretty coarse grained audio setup i think but it's working ok for me right now.

Jack Spitznagel

Steve McGrane,

Let us know your callsign and what FT8 band(s) you are hanging out on. I will give you a try from MD if I see you.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

[...]

J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

I am KM9G, calling CQ on 20m right now.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:08 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sperry

Success !!,
Just made my fist contact using FT-891 and the DRAWS Hat Using WSJT-X in FT8 mode
73
Tim / AG6RS

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Awesome Tim! Congrats

Did you change any of the ALSA settings?

Did you remove pin 6 from the cable?

What was your signal report (Both Ways)?

- Steve

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 10:55 AM Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Success !!,
Just made my fist contact using FT-891 and the DRAWS Hat Using WSJT-X in FT8 mode
73
Tim / AG6RS

Tim Sperry

Steve,
I have included a document the shows the FT-891 menu and the changes that I made to it in Yellow.
Signal report on 20 meters from Southern California to a VE station: Sent -12 Received -09 using 14 Watts
is there a way to take a screen shot in WSJT-X of my settings for the radio?
That is something that i want to save a copy of.

Tim / AG6RS

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

There are quite a few ways to do it.  There will be screenshots of the config menus in my upcoming video.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 1:44 PM Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Steve,
I have included a document the shows the FT-891 menu and the changes that I made to it in Yellow.
Signal report on 20 meters from Southern California to a VE station: Sent -12 Received -09 using 14 Watts
is there a way to take a screen shot in WSJT-X of my settings for the radio?
That is something that i want to save a copy of.

Tim / AG6RS

kc7pmu

 Seems like it would be useful to others to capture much of the content in this thread in a DRAWS-FT-891 Configuration file. Ditto for FT-817/818, ICOM 706/7300 and likely Elecraft KX2/KX3 as time goes on.  Perhaps a directory/section per mfg and files by radio?

Paul
kc7pmu

Tim Sperry

Steve,
I was able to capture both the radio settings and the audio settings using the print/screen button on the keyboard then going to the captured screen shots, renaming them and putting them in the documents folder.
It would be nice to print them as well.
I did not modify the cable.

Tim / AG6RS

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Paul, I've sent the details for the FT891 off to Basil, but seeing Tim's response they might not be needed just yet.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Steve,
I was able to capture both the radio settings and the audio settings using the print/screen button on the keyboard then going to the captured screen shots, renaming them and putting them in the documents folder.
It would be nice to print them as well.
I did not modify the cable.

Tim / AG6RS

Tim Sperry