Topics

#12vsupply #power Mobile power up/down #12vsupply #power

BJ

Anyone automatically powering up/down (if that's possible) based on the 12v input sensor?  I'd like to have my pi sleep or power off at a configurable voltage so that it will never run the car battery down.  Ideally though I'd like it to power back up after the voltage comes up when the car is started.  I'm not opposed to pushing a button though :).

Excited to get started with this thing.  I'm planning to mount my DRAWS in the car as a headless APRS and Winlink device, possibly controlled with a physical switch to change modes or, ideally, it would just respond appropriately based on packets received, or based on a schedule (disable aprs, check e-mail, re-enable aprs).  Soundcard modes should be available via VNC with a bit more manual input...  I'll also be following the info I found here for automatically connecting to wifi when available, or creating a hotspot when out and about so the connection is not a problem.

So far not interested in DMR/DSTAR/etc type modes, but that's on the radar :).

Tim Ciesluk

Look for something like a battery isolator to put between the RPi/DRAWS and the vehicle battery. West Mountain Radio makes one called ISOpwr but it’s a bit pricy. This setup should allow for automatic power-on with vehicle ignition. Then you could watch the sensor for the voltage drop and execute a safe shutdown script. Usually over 13.5 when running, falling below 12.6 when the motor stops.

Tim - KU1G

On Apr 15, 2019, at 7:41 PM, KC0NPF BJ <kc0npf@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve KC1AWV

Could try this:

I think you can make a script that will safe shutdown on power loss. I would also check into making sure GPIO 26 is free, that's where the UPS board sends voltage level info to the Pi.

I use an ISOpwr in my car for an auxiliary battery in my trunk for my rigs. You could drop a 100ah SLA battery in your trunk and keep the Pi on all the time if you wanted!

Steve KC1AWV

Gwen Patton

Before I ran into DRAWS on the NWDigital website, I was already using a Raspberry Pi for my ThumbDV. I found this lovely device that I always intended to put on my Raspberry Pi, but never did. Now integrating both hats seems to be impractical or difficult...I'm not sure, I haven't examined it closely enough...and several features are redundant. But as a battery backup power supply that could work in tandem with a safe shutdown script, it would be very handy.

73,
Gwen NG3P

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

GPIO26 Is Connected to CODEC MP5

I don’t believe that it's used by the CODEC, so it should be available.

We’ll confirm with SW Engineering.

Bryan K7UDR