Topics

SSTV on DRAWS™ #draws #sstv #experimenter

I have been interested in SSTV since at least the early '70s, and have operated it from time to time.  I thought it might be fun to give it a try on DRAWS™.

It is not included on the beta images, but for the experimenter (e.g. willing to build from code, experiment, and troubleshoot on your own). It is pretty straightforward to implement QSSTV application, by Johan Maes (ON4QZ).

I have been able to successfully print SSTV transmission with QSSTV, but due to station limitations have not done a 2-way QSO. I believe it will work just fine on TX, and would love to hear from anyone who tries it.

Starting with the manual, the installation section gives the steps to build and install from source (April 2019 - version 9.3.3).

Once built and installed you will find the QSSTV program under Education->QSSTV
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.51.57 AM.png

I have my system setup with pulseaudio, which is supported in the application or you can use standard ALSA and select the udrc soundcard. (Pulse Audio allows you to address the left and right channels separately. The default pulse audio is to the left DIN)

Under Configuration -> Sound within the application
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.55.19 AM.png
Setup CAT control for your radio under configuration.
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.55.19 AM.png
Finally, setup some common SSTV frequencies under configuration.
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.54.08 AM.png
And give it a run...
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.57.14 AM.png
--- Enjoy.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Nice!

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 4:20 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Poaps

I'm into SSTV. I have used MMSSTV and Adroidsstv to try nd pick up the ISS sstv pictures on 145.800. I know Chuck va7ul here in New Westminster have used Qsstv. Thank You John, I'll add it to my Draws after i get my Paclink Unix PI tweaked out.

later
73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 2:20 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Peter Dahl, WA7FUS

John,
This does look like fun. I see in the documentation that QSSTV has an FM modulation mode in addition to SSB. Do you have any hints for setting up PTT popular FM transceivers such as an Icom or Alinco using the appropriate 6 pin DIN cable to connect to the radio.
Am I missing something simple?

Peter
WA7FUS

On Apr 23, 2019, at 2:19 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

If a radio does not support PTT via CAT control, you can obtain a serial adapter (USB) which has RTS and/or DTR pins available. Create a connection to PTT and Ground and select the "Special Serial Port" to enable PTT.  Read up on this in hamlib documentation. (This is beyond the scope of NW Digital Radio support, but there is plenty of discussion around hamlib rig interfacing online.)

The other option would be to encourage Johan to support GPIO PTT keying in his program.

image.png

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:19 PM Peter Dahl, WA7FUS via Groups.Io <pd_fus=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
John,
This does look like fun. I see in the documentation that QSSTV has an FM modulation mode in addition to SSB. Do you have any hints for setting up PTT popular FM transceivers such as an Icom or Alinco using the appropriate 6 pin DIN cable to connect to the radio.
Am I missing something simple?

Peter
WA7FUS

Dave N2OA

I tried this during the last ISS SSTV event and had an issue where the application would crash. I didn't have time to look into the issue further but I thought it was a great addition to the DRAWS.

Dave
N2OA