Topics

Ft 817, wsjt #ft817 #cat #wsjt

Richard Waller

I’ve found wsjt-x 2.0 and it is running. I can receive and decode FT8 from my 817. I’m having trouble figuring out how to set up rig control. I’d be happy without rig control and just have the wsjt program do ptt but can’t figure out how to configure that either. There are several port selections under PTT which aren’t intuitive to me. I am using the left mini din port and know that there are gpio commands for each mini din. I’m not sure how that helps me in this setting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Rick Ka4ohm.

Jack Spitznagel

Rick,

Configure flrig with fldigi and you can tell wsjt-x to use flrig. Works well here.

Jack - KD4IZ

-----Original Message-----
From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Waller via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 20:03
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [udrc] Ft 817, wsjt

I’ve found wsjt-x 2.0 and it is running. I can receive and decode FT8 from my 817. I’m having trouble figuring out how to set up rig control. I’d be happy without rig control and just have the wsjt program do ptt but can’t figure out how to configure that either. There are several port selections under PTT which aren’t intuitive to me. I am using the left mini din port and know that there are gpio commands for each mini din. I’m not sure how that helps me in this setting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Rick Ka4ohm.

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Either directly in WSJT-X settings like this (using the correct USB Serial Port and baud rate)
image.png
Or select flrig as the Rig and setup the FT-817 inside of flrig

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:07 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
Rick,

Configure flrig with fldigi and you can tell wsjt-x to use flrig. Works well here.

Jack - KD4IZ
From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Waller via Groups.Io

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Richard Waller

Thanks Jack, I will try that. Rick

On Apr 23, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> wrote:

Rick,

Jack - KD4IZ

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Richard Waller

Thanks John. Are you saying I need to use a USB port on the Rpi for rig control? I’m using the data port on the 817 to connect to draws hat micro din. Would I use the accessory jack for rig control? 

On Apr 23, 2019, at 9:17 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Either directly in WSJT-X settings like this (using the correct USB Serial Port and baud rate)
<image.png>
Or select flrig as the Rig and setup the FT-817 inside of flrig

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:07 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
Rick,

Jack - KD4IZ

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Yes, the accessory port is used for CAT control.  Typically, you use a CT-62 type cable for CAT -- there are USB versions which work for the Raspberry Pi and FT-8x7 radios. For example https://smile.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises%C2%AE-FT-100-FT-817-FT-857/dp/B0041LNISK

A couple of programs like fldigi and direwolf support GPIO PTT on the Raspberry Pi (which is wired to the DIN6 PTT line), others do not, so CAT, VOX, or other methods need to be used to key the transmitter.

This is true for applications running on the Pi ... it makes for a good investment for your FT-817

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks John. Are you saying I need to use a USB port on the Rpi for rig control? I’m using the data port on the 817 to connect to draws hat micro din. Would I use the accessory jack for rig control? 

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Jack Spitznagel

John, Rick,

@Rick, John make an important point about the CT-62 cable… I forgot to mention it. I prefer full CAT control because I can use the program to auto switch to the correct frequency.

@John, which sound interface do you recommend using? Prior to BETA 12 I was using “hw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0”, it no longer works in wsjt-x, and I found by experimentation that “plughw:CARD=udrc, DEV=0” does work. I get the feeling I am missing something…

Thanks for your input.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of John D Hays - K7VE
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 21:47
Subject: Re: [udrc] Ft 817, wsjt #ft817 #cat #wsjtx

Yes, the accessory port is used for CAT control.  Typically, you use a CT-62 type cable for CAT -- there are USB versions which work for the Raspberry Pi and FT-8x7 radios. For example https://smile.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises%C2%AE-FT-100-FT-817-FT-857/dp/B0041LNISK

A couple of programs like fldigi and direwolf support GPIO PTT on the Raspberry Pi (which is wired to the DIN6 PTT line), others do not, so CAT, VOX, or other methods need to be used to key the transmitter.

This is true for applications running on the Pi ... it makes for a good investment for your FT-817

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA

K7VE

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Richard Waller

Thanks John. Rick Ka4ohm 

On Apr 23, 2019, at 9:47 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Richard Waller

John, since the Hf digital frequencies are more or less channelized I really don’t need rig control. What commands do I need to get fldigi to operate GPIO ptt through the mini din plug? If I were to use the CT-62 what drivers are needed for the R pi? Thanks. Rick. Ka4ohm 

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Under Configure -> Rig Control -> GPIO (setting for left DIN-6)
Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 3.40.14 PM.png

The USB CT-62 equivalent, I referenced, does not require any additional drivers.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:33 PM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
John, since the Hf digital frequencies are more or less channelized I really don’t need rig control. What commands do I need to get fldigi to operate GPIO ptt through the mini din plug? If I were to use the CT-62 what drivers are needed for the R pi? Thanks. Rick. Ka4ohm 

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

This would be awesome in the wiki!

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 5:45 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Under Configure -> Rig Control -> GPIO (setting for left DIN-6)
Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 3.40.14 PM.png

The USB CT-62 equivalent, I referenced, does not require any additional drivers.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:33 PM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Richard Waller

Thanks John, that’s helpful. I have a rigblaster plug and play which I’ve used with my ft 817 on a  Windows computer. This question may go beyond support for the draws hat but I’m wondering if I could use the rig blaster for radio control in place of ct - 62  and route the audio in out through the din plug? I read on line that the rigblaster plug and play works with Linux. Thanks again. Rick. Ka4ohm 

On Apr 24, 2019, at 6:33 PM, Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller@...> wrote:

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Paul Johnson

Plugged my Rigblaster plug and play into a Pi running Raspbian and
got the following for lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 10c4:814a Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. West
Mountain Radio RIGblaster P&P

so it is recognized.

Paul VE7DHM

On Wed, 2019-04-24 at 19:01 -0400, Richard Waller via Groups.Io wrote:
Thanks John, that’s helpful. I have a rigblaster plug and play which
I’ve used with my ft 817 on a  Windows computer. This question may go
beyond support for the draws hat but I’m wondering if I could use the
rig blaster for radio control in place of ct - 62  and route the
audio in out through the din plug? I read on line that the rigblaster
plug and play works with Linux. Thanks again. Rick. Ka4ohm 

On Apr 24, 2019, at 6:33 PM, Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller
=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

John, since the Hf digital frequencies are more or less channelized
I really don’t need rig control. What commands do I need to get
fldigi to operate GPIO ptt through the mini din plug? If I were to
use the CT-62 what drivers are needed for the R pi? Thanks. Rick.
Ka4ohm 

On Apr 23, 2019, at 9:47 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays>
wrote:

Yes, the accessory port is used for CAT control.  Typically, you
use a CT-62 type cable for CAT -- there are USB versions which
work for the Raspberry Pi and FT-8x7 radios. For example https://
smile.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises%C2%AE-FT-100-FT-817-FT-
857/dp/B0041LNISK

A couple of programs like fldigi and direwolf support GPIO PTT on
the Raspberry Pi (which is wired to the DIN6 PTT line), others do
not, so CAT, VOX, or other methods need to be used to key the
transmitter.

This is true for applications running on the Pi ... it makes for
a good investment for your FT-817

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <r
ewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks John. Are you saying I need to use a USB port on the Rpi
for rig control? I’m using the data port on the 817 to connect
to draws hat micro din. Would I use the accessory jack for rig
control? 

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WAK7VE

Richard Waller

Thanks Paul. Rick Ka4ohm

On Apr 24, 2019, at 11:57 PM, Paul Johnson <ve7dhm@...> wrote:

Plugged my Rigblaster plug and play into a Pi running Raspbian and
got the following for lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 10c4:814a Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. West
Mountain Radio RIGblaster P&P

so it is recognized.

Paul VE7DHM

On Wed, 2019-04-24 at 19:01 -0400, Richard Waller via Groups.Io wrote:
Thanks John, that’s helpful. I have a rigblaster plug and play which
I’ve used with my ft 817 on a Windows computer. This question may go
beyond support for the draws hat but I’m wondering if I could use the
rig blaster for radio control in place of ct - 62 and route the
audio in out through the din plug? I read on line that the rigblaster
plug and play works with Linux. Thanks again. Rick. Ka4ohm

On Apr 24, 2019, at 6:33 PM, Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller
=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

John, since the Hf digital frequencies are more or less channelized
I really don’t need rig control. What commands do I need to get
fldigi to operate GPIO ptt through the mini din plug? If I were to
use the CT-62 what drivers are needed for the R pi? Thanks. Rick.
Ka4ohm

On Apr 23, 2019, at 9:47 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays>
wrote:

Yes, the accessory port is used for CAT control. Typically, you
use a CT-62 type cable for CAT -- there are USB versions which
work for the Raspberry Pi and FT-8x7 radios. For example https://
smile.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises%C2%AE-FT-100-FT-817-FT-
857/dp/B0041LNISK

A couple of programs like fldigi and direwolf support GPIO PTT on
the Raspberry Pi (which is wired to the DIN6 PTT line), others do
not, so CAT, VOX, or other methods need to be used to key the
transmitter.