Topics

Video missing

Tim Huffaker

Hello I am running the newest release of compass with a RPi3.  If I leave it running to digipeat the video will stop.  I am using the HDMI out on the RPi3 and it will not come back without a reboot.  this is not good because you do not what to pull power from the RPi3 if possible.  I do not know why the HDMI stops and the Rpi3 is running except of a bug.  I do wish there was a reset to get things back without a reboot via removing power.

Thank you,
Tim KM4ESU

Basil Gunn

Is your screen saver activated causing your screen to sleep?
Do you have a bluetooth keyboard?

Disable screen sleep
https://raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/gui/disable-screen-sleep

/Basil

Tim Huffaker <thuffaker@mindspring.com> writes:

Hello I am running the newest release of compass with a RPi3. If I
leave it running to digipeat the video will stop. I am using the HDMI
out on the RPi3 and it will not come back without a reboot. this is
not good because you do not what to pull power from the RPi3 if
possible. I do not know why the HDMI stops and the Rpi3 is running
except of a bug. I do wish there was a reset to get things back
without a reboot via removing power.

Thank you,
Tim KM4ESU

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

I have a similar problem on an older pi where the network card will go to sleep... the machine is fine, but I can't login to do anything.  I recently found that if I hot-plug the NIC it restarts the TCP/IP stack and I can login again.

Tim Huffaker <thuffaker@...> writes:

> Hello I am running the newest release of compass with a RPi3. If I
> leave it running to digipeat the video will stop. I am using the HDMI
> out on the RPi3 and it will not come back without a reboot. this is
> not good because you do not what to pull power from the RPi3 if
> possible. I do not know why the HDMI stops and the Rpi3 is running
> except of a bug. I do wish there was a reset to get things back
> without a reboot via removing power.
>
> Thank you,
> Tim KM4ESU

Tim Huffaker

I am using a usb keyboard in now and plan to move to a Bluetooth keyboard. When this happened the RPi3 would not respond with the usb keyboard.

Tim

Dave N2OA

You might try a different monitor and cable. I had one combination that would just not wake the monitor. I moved it to my other monitor with a different cable and it worked fine. It was a while back so I don't even remember if I identified the root cause but it wasn't the Pi or a HAT.

Dave
N2OA

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 9:39 PM Tim Huffaker <thuffaker@...> wrote:
Hello I am running the newest release of compass with a RPi3.  If I leave it running to digipeat the video will stop.  I am using the HDMI out on the RPi3 and it will not come back without a reboot.  this is not good because you do not what to pull power from the RPi3 if possible.  I do not know why the HDMI stops and the Rpi3 is running except of a bug.  I do wish there was a reset to get things back without a reboot via removing power.

Thank you,
Tim KM4ESU

Tim Huffaker

I checked that with the a different monitor. The monitor is VGA with a startec VGA to HDMI converter. I unplugged the monitor and plugged in another hdmi monitor but still no video.

Tim

Basil Gunn

ssh into your RPi and run this from a console.

env DISPLAY=:0 xset dpms force on

/Basil

Tim Huffaker <thuffaker@mindspring.com> writes:

I checked that with the a different monitor. The monitor is VGA with a
startec VGA to HDMI converter. I unplugged the monitor and plugged in
another hdmi monitor but still no video.

Tim

Tim Huffaker

Hi good point, I don’t know if ssh is set up but I will set it if now.

Tim