Topics

Latest kernel on compass distribution

Edouard Lafargue

Hi fellow UDRC users,

  I was wondering about the latest plans on the Compass distribution - I recently hit a bad Kernel bug related to the AX25 stack, and would like to upgrade the Linux kernel to the most recent version that supports the UDCR-II soundcard: are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? My understanding is that the raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel will break the distribution, is that still the case?

Thanks in advance

Ed W6ELA

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>

On Nov 19, 2016, at 2:31 PM, Edouard Lafargue <ed@...> wrote:

Hi fellow UDRC users,

I was wondering about the latest plans on the Compass distribution - I recently hit a bad Kernel bug related to the AX25 stack, and would like to upgrade the Linux kernel to the most recent version that supports the UDCR-II soundcard: are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? My understanding is that the raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel will break the distribution, is that still the case?
It depends on what you mean about the “raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel.” In the olden days of the original Raspberry Pi, the Foundation released Raspbian where the only way you got a kernel was on your original distribution image. Otherwise, they kept a kernel in a GitHub repository and you could download all the pieces. Some enterprising folks wrote a program called “rpi-update” that would download the new kernel pieces from GitHub for you and replace them out. This wasn’t a great way of upgrading your kernel and was contrary to the normal ways that Linux would upgrade things.

To fix this, the Foundation make proper .deb packages of the kernel, firmware and other goodies. You will see these on Compass as packages like raspberrypi-firmware and such. These will contain the most current stable kernel and such. Compass replaces out these packages with our own that have a kernel with the proper drivers included. Those kernels are built off of the source housed at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/linux.git repository from the udr/mcdermj branch (this will eventually change to master when I have half a chance to move some things around). There is a Jenkins Continuous Integration instance that will automatically build a kernel package every time a commit happens on the udr/mcdermj branch. If this build is successful, the resulting packages are automatically uploaded to archive.compasslinux.org on the “wilderness” branch for folks to test and destroy.

The upshot of all of this is that the “raspbian standard command” is now “apt-get update && apt-get upgrade” just like Ubuntu, Debian or a lot of other Linuxes.

As far as the state of the kernel, I try to merge in the upstream sources every couple of months and produce a new wilderness kernel. If it looks stable to us, I’ll promote it to the new kernel in our stable branch named “alder”. I hope to one day try to have automatic merging of the upstream Raspbian tree into wilderness by Jenkins.

I realized I hadn’t merged upstream updates in a while, so I got a merge going on the current source. It seems to compile okay, so Jenkins is chewing on it now. There should be a fresh kernel in wilderness in a bit. If you have a specific commit you can point me at, I can try to make sure that the patch gets into the build.

Also note that our eventual solution to this problem is to try to get the changes into the upstream Linux distributions so that a new kernel is no longer necessary. I’m still working on getting more pieces submitted, but my time has become rather limited of late.

Thanks in advance

Ed W6ELA
--
Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@...

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Hi all,

I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600 bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project) could be patched, it would be a nice feature.

73 de Bernard f6bvp

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2016, at 9:25 AM, f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600 bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project) could be patched, it would be a nice feature.
We do put special patches in the kernel for Ham Radio stuff. There’s already an AX.25 patch by one of our developers in there to fix some bugginess that was happening with paclink unix.

If you send me the patch privately, I will certainly consider adding it to our tree.

--
Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@...

Edouard Lafargue

  Thanks Bernard! Yes, this is the bug I have been hitting as well - a straighforward kernel panic when using net2kiss, which is frustrating - it's the only missing link for my RPi setup, I have native AX25, AWGPE emulation and the rest working great, but I still need TCPKISS for a couple of applications such as Winlink Express...

73 de ed w6ela

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM, f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600 bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project) could be patched, it would be a nice feature.

Direwolf has a built in to kiss.

On Nov 20, 2016 15:05, "Edouard Lafargue" <ed@...> wrote:
[...]

Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...>

I haven't fiddled much with Linux recently, but i recall that in the past, apt-get update (in Debian at least) would not replace a kernel. The kernel package would be listed as "held-back" but could be installed by specifying the package in an apt-get install command.

Bob, N7XY

On 11/19/16 7:27 PM, Jeremy McDermond wrote:
[...]

  Correct! Unfortunately, with the UDRC configured in 2 channel mode, Direwolf (correctly) emulates a 2-port TNC, and not every program understands this, especially to talk to the second channel... I improved Polaric server to suport multiport TNCs, but this is only possible for open source software...

Ed

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Direwolf has a built in to kiss.

Edouard Lafargue

  Hi Basil,

   The way to reproduce is as follows: With an AX25 interface at ax0, I can reliably crash the kernel by starting a virtual KISS using 'net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptmx', and then by using another program (Linpac or ldsped, for instance) to open a connected session on that same ax0 interface with any remote station.

   As you can see, you don't need to do anything with the new KISS interface, the only requirement is that net2kiss is running, and you open an ax.25 connection using another program.

    Let me know if you can reproduce!

My kernel is: Linux compass 4.4.15-v7+ #1 SMP Fri Jul 29 04:35:51 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
pi@compass:/etc/ax25 $ netstat --ax25
Active AX.25 sockets
Dest       Source     Device  State        Vr/Vs    Send-Q  Recv-Q
*          W6ELA-0    ax0     LISTENING    000/000  0       0
*          W6ELA-0    ax1     LISTENING    000/000  0       0

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Edouard,

Could you please describe the bug you are seeing & the procedure you
would use to replicate it. Also could you please post the output of
the following 2 commands.

uname -a
netstat --ax25

I would like to try & reproduce what you are seeing.

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 15:05:15 -0800
"Edouard Lafargue" <ed@...> wrote:

>   Thanks Bernard! Yes, this is the bug I have been hitting as well - a
> straighforward kernel panic when using net2kiss, which is frustrating
> - it's the only missing link for my RPi setup, I have native AX25,
> AWGPE emulation and the rest working great, but I still need TCPKISS
> for a couple of applications such as Winlink Express...
>
> 73 de ed w6ela
>
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM, f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a
> > kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when
> > performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally
> > localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple
> > patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However
> > the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it
> > could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents
> > us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
> > If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600
> > bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project)
> > could be patched, it would be a nice feature.
> >
> > 73 de Bernard f6bvp
> >
> > http://f6bvp.free.fr/raspberrypi.html

A few developers are working together in the background to bring updates into the distribution.

Perhaps this discussion should continue in the compass list.  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/compass/messages