YAAC Port Settings #yaac #xastir

Tim Sperry

What are the proper port settings to use when setting up the DRAWS Hat with YAAC?
I have everything working fine between the DRAWS Hat and my FT-891 using WSJT-X and FLDIGI with AX25-stop
Now I think I need to start AX25 to use YAAC or XASTIR
Is there the needed information in this group to set up either or of these with the Hat?

Tim - AG6RS

Basil Gunn

I have some Xastir configuration notes here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/xastir

The "Configure interfaces" section will be useful for you.

These notes were written for a UDRC II but the BETA images have a lot of things
already setup.
If you are using a Beta image:
- Latest version of Xastir (V2.1.1) is already installed
- RPi audio is already enabled
- Xastir sounds are already downloaded
- Direwolf is already configured.
You should be able to run it and start configuration.

The Xastir documentation is very good:
https://xastir.org/index.php/Main_Page

I do not have any notes on YAAC which means I didn't have any problems
with the initial configuration.

Both programs require running ax25-start as root.
This starts direwolf using systemd service files.
You only have to do this once unless you run ax25-stop to facilitate
running HF digital programs.

/Basil n7nix

Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

What are the proper port settings to use when setting up the DRAWS Hat with YAAC?
I have everything working fine between the DRAWS Hat and my FT-891 using WSJT-X and FLDIGI with AX25-stop
Now I think I need to start AX25 to use YAAC or XASTIR
Is there the needed information in this group to set up either or of these with the Hat?

Tim - AG6RS

As Basil says, his AX25 scripts start and stop both the Direwolf modem and the AX25 stack.

YAAC is pretty simple to connect. With direwolf running, you simply go into interfaces and select an AGW interface localhost:8000

image.png

You can watch what's happening using (in a terminal window)

tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.conf

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 8:48 AM Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
What are the proper port settings to use when setting up the DRAWS Hat with YAAC?
I have everything working fine between the DRAWS Hat and my FT-891 using WSJT-X and FLDIGI with AX25-stop
Now I think I need to start AX25 to use YAAC or XASTIR
Is there the needed information in this group to set up either or of these with the Hat?

Tim - AG6RS

Jack Spitznagel

Tim,

I do this all the time.

You should not need to touch your ALSAmixer sound settings.

You do need to go back to the “Getting Started Wiki” at Groups.io and carefully work through the section on using ax25/DireWolf. https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

Two important points:

When you want to switch to YAAC (or XASTIR) on DireWolf you need to open a terminal window and do the following as described in the “Getting Started Wiki”:

cd ~/bin

# Become root

sudo su

./ax25-start

This will enable ax25 and Direwolf… Direwolf will continue to run on boot up so to go back to fldigi or wsjt-x, you need to do the following in a terminal window:

cd
cd bin
# Become root
sudo su
./ax25-stop

Hope this helps get you going the right direction.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--