JS8 and draws

Douglas

Can someone assist me with setting up js8 using my tm g707a u/v transeiver, or point me in the correct direction.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

JS8 is very similar to FT8 and I have a video on setting that up.  I'll do a JS8 Video when my radio comes back from the shop... should be today.

Are your CAT and Data cables already sorted out?  That is most of the battle.

- Steve, KM9G

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:26 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
Can someone assist me with setting up js8 using my tm g707a u/v transeiver, or point me in the correct direction.

Douglas

The only other ports on the radio are for the external speaker and mic.

Using only the cord that came with the draws, i tried setting up js8 and js8 says it's transmitting but the radio does nothing.  I manually dialed the radio to the aprs frequency.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Oh, you're on a 2m rig... I'm currently having lots of fun with that.  You've got a 6pin port on the front of that rig though... so does that port do PTT?  If not, you'll need to come up with either a VOX or PTT solution.

I'm also fooling with a Kenwood trying to solve this problem currently.  Your software is probably setup properly already.

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 8:24 AM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
The only other ports on the radio are for the external speaker and mic.

Using only the cord that came with the draws, i tried setting up js8 and js8 says it's transmitting but the radio does nothing.  I manually dialed the radio to the aprs frequency.

Douglas

I am not sure if the software is setup properly.  I don't have an hf rig as of yet at least until i upgrade my license in july.

KI7LIK
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 11:28 Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
Oh, you're on a 2m rig... I'm currently having lots of fun with that.  You've got a 6pin port on the front of that rig though... so does that port do PTT?  If not, you'll need to come up with either a VOX or PTT solution.

I'm also fooling with a Kenwood trying to solve this problem currently.  Your software is probably setup properly already.

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 8:24 AM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
The only other ports on the radio are for the external speaker and mic.

Using only the cord that came with the draws, i tried setting up js8 and js8 says it's transmitting but the radio does nothing.  I manually dialed the radio to the aprs frequency.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Are you "hearing" any signals -- either over the air on the radio speaker... or seeing anything decoded in the software?

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 1:32 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
[...]

After my net tonight, I will be checking all that.   I haven't been able to as of yet.

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 11:33 Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
[...]

The PTT through the 6 pin mini DIN cable is controlled by GPIO.  If a particular software package doesn't support Raspberry Pi GPIO, then another method needs to be selected (VOX, CAT, etc.) -- You might contact the author (KN4CRD) and see if he is interested and willing to add GPIO support.

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:24 AM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
The only other ports on the radio are for the external speaker and mic.

Using only the cord that came with the draws, i tried setting up js8 and js8 says it's transmitting but the radio does nothing.  I manually dialed the radio to the aprs frequency.

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Jordan says "There is GPIO support via an external PTT script. You can learn more in the "Radio (CAT and PTT control)" section of the documentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/159S4wqMUVdMA7qBgaSWmU-iDI4C9wd4CuWnetN68O9U/edit#heading=h.5xqo9txkzgxf "

Best,
Jordan / KN4CRD"

Douglas

In the settings of JS8, what do i need to change.

I have a lot of learning to do.

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 14:15 John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Jordan says "There is GPIO support via an external PTT script. You can learn more in the "Radio (CAT and PTT control)" section of the documentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/159S4wqMUVdMA7qBgaSWmU-iDI4C9wd4CuWnetN68O9U/edit#heading=h.5xqo9txkzgxf "

Best,
Jordan / KN4CRD"

Douglas

Its not even showing it's recieving a  signal even though the radio is recieving.

[...]

Is there a settings script that i could modify in order to get this working?

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 13:35 John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
The PTT through the 6 pin mini DIN cable is controlled by GPIO.  If a particular software package doesn't support Raspberry Pi GPIO, then another method needs to be selected (VOX, CAT, etc.) -- You might contact the author (KN4CRD) and see if he is interested and willing to add GPIO support.

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:24 AM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
The only other ports on the radio are for the external speaker and mic.

Using only the cord that came with the draws, i tried setting up js8 and js8 says it's transmitting but the radio does nothing.  I manually dialed the radio to the aprs frequency.

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Douglas

When i open js8call i get the following messages:

  Error in sound output:
   An error occurred opening the audio output device has occurred.

  Error in sound output:
   Requested output audio format is not supported on this device.

  Error in sound input:
    Requested input audio format is not supported on this device.

On Mon, May 27, 2019, 20:26 Douglas KI7LIK via Groups.Io <KI7LIK.AZ=GMAIL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
Can someone assist me with setting up js8 using my tm g707a u/v transeiver, or point me in the correct direction.

Basil Gunn

There is a new script in n7nix/bin/ptt_ctrl.sh that can be used in the
JS8Call radio configuration PTT command. It is used like this:

# For left connector
ptt_ctrl.sh -l on
ptt_ctrl.sh -l off
# Display state of ptt gpio
ptt_ctrl.sh -l -c

# For right connector
ptt_ctrl.sh -r on
ptt_ctrl.sh -r off
# Display state of ptt gpio
ptt_ctrl.sh -r -c

# To display all command line options
ptt_ctrl.sh -h

# To install
cd
cd n7nix
git pull
cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

# Assuming left connector is used, this is what the JS8Call PTT command
would look like:

ptt_ctrl.sh -l %1

/Basil

John D Hays - K7VE <john@hays.org> writes:

Jordan says " There is GPIO support via an external PTT script. You
can learn more in the "Radio (CAT and PTT control)" section of the
documentation: https://docs. google.com/document/d/
159S4wqMUVdMA7qBgaSWmU- iDI4C9wd4CuWnetN68O9U/edit#
heading=h.5xqo9txkzgxf " (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/159S4wqMUVdMA7qBgaSWmU-iDI4C9wd4CuWnetN68O9U/edit#heading=h.5xqo9txkzgxf
)

Best,