Topics

Setting Up AARDOP with the #draws

Basil Gunn

I assume that is for a two radio setup? Or are you saying one radio
and easily switch between ax25?
Two radios, but running packet & some HF program at the same time on your
RPi. I run packet using my vhf/uhf radio & some HF program (FLdigi) on my
HF rig. The way I use it is for convenience of leaving things cabled up
between the two modes. The port.conf file also allows easily setting up
9600 baud packet.

Because my head still hurts from the build and getting ARDOP setup :)
If your head isn't hurting you are probably not doing enough stuff :)

Mike KF5DEY

Mike B

I assume that is for a two radio setup?  Or are you saying one radio and easily switch between ax25?

Because my head still hurts from the build and getting ARDOP setup :)

Mike
KF5DEY

Basil Gunn

Mike,

Happy to hear you have an HF ARDOP setup running on an RPi. Nice work!

Just to let you know it is possible to run direwolf on one port (left) &
ARDOP on the right port. I recently checked-in some scripts that allow
configuring the left & right connectors in split-channel mode using
/etc/ax25/port.conf file. I have some preliminary documentation here:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/PORT_CONFIG.md

/Basil

Mike B <kf5dey@...> writes:

I will give big thanks to the developers and especially others like KM4ACK.

For those wishing to attempt this, do the KM4ACK videos...very easy to follow and understand...but

Do them in this order... Big exception to his instructions... use the settings in the post above... (I use left audio connector)
"For a DRAWS hat left = gpio 12, right = gpio 23. Make sure that direwolf is NOT running."

*./piardopc 8515 plughw:1,0 plughw:1,0 -p GPIO=12*

(if you don't put plughw:1,0 in twice, you will get an error)

Added this to *. asoundrc*
ref: ARDOPC.txt

*pcm.ARDOP {*
*type rate*
*slave {*
*pcm "hw:1,0"*
*rate 12000*
*}*
*}*

Install Winlink on Raspberry Pi 4 Part 1 2019 (also applies to a 3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJJLfVz23k

Install Winlink on Raspberry Pi 4 Part 2 2019 (only first bit, he tells you where to stop for DRAWS) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqsTbxzR4E

THEN

Pat Winlink on DRAWS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnJQv6rDpss

Final thoughts are I had to really crank up the output volume from the default to get any radio output.

127.0.0.1:8080 on your Pi or 'ip_address':8080 on networked computer to start the Web GUI "DRAWS Manager" to set your audio levels.

For me on an FT-857 the radio displays ALC levels, and I have an power meter connected to show the radio ouput wattage...I dial up the digital volume in the "DRAWS Manager" bit by bit until the ALC level is at the 3/4 mark (example in your radio manual) and output power should be close to what was set on the radio.

But I did log into a winlink station, send and receive email over HF, all while using a networked computer's web browser.

So for me, it is working 100%

Mike
KF5DEY

Mike B

I will give big thanks to the developers and especially others like  KM4ACK.

For those wishing to attempt this, do the KM4ACK videos...very easy to follow and understand...but

Do them in this order... Big exception to his instructions... use the settings in the post above... (I use left audio connector)
"For a DRAWS hat left = gpio 12, right = gpio 23. Make sure that direwolf is NOT running."

./piardopc 8515 plughw:1,0 plughw:1,0 -p GPIO=12

(if you don't put plughw:1,0 in twice, you will get an error)

Added this to .asoundrc
ref: ARDOPC.txt

pcm.ARDOP {
type rate
slave {
pcm "hw:1,0"
rate 12000
}
}

[...]

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via Groups.Io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

As a followup to setting up PAT with the DRAWS....

Is the ARDOP install that comes with teh DRAWS Compass package
"installed" and available to PAT once PAT is installed?
DRAWS Compass refers to the current and now deprecated image.
That image does not have piardopc installed.
The next image most likely will since I am working with paclink-unix &
ardop on the RPi.

I ask because I see ARDOP available in the drop down of PAT.

If not, what does it take to active the ARDOP install in Compass so PAT
would see it without installing it again (using K4KDR instructional
video, for example)?
John Wiseman's documentation is excellent and I had no problems getting
it to work with UDRC or DRAWS on an RPi.

http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/ARDOPC.html

Below are my brief notes for using an UDRC II. The only thing to be
aware of for the DRAWS hat is the gpio setting for left or right mDin6
connector.

Command line used to start piardopc

./piardopc 8515 plughw:1,0 plughw:1,0 -p GPIO=23

Added this to .asoundrc
ref: ARDOPC.txt

pcm.ARDOP {
type rate
slave {
pcm "hw:1,0"
rate 12000
}
}

/Basil

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Coffee had not kicked in yet....................

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access