Topics

DRAWS and Buster distro

Bernard f6bvp

Hi,

Not sure this list is still alive.

Due to issues with partially broken libraries in Compass image I decided to burn Buster distro on a RPi 3B with DRAWS HAT.

The system is doing well but DRAWS is not recognized by default as a sound card.

Now I would like to know how to install AX.25 and APRS stuff ?

Is any N7NIX script available ?

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
http://radiotelescope-lavillette.fr

Basil Gunn

Not sure this list is still alive.
Yes it's alive or at least I read all the posts.

Due to issues with partially broken libraries in Compass image I decided
to burn Buster distro on a RPi 3B with DRAWS HAT.

The system is doing well but DRAWS is not recognized by default as a
sound card.
The driver for the DRAWS hat, specifically the TI TLV320aic3204 codec
driver and the overlays for the UDRC/DRAWS hats are now in the main line
Linux kernel. If you are using a Raspbian image with kernel version
4.19.66-v7+ (uname -r) or newer then you have the current driver for the
UDRC/DRAWS HATS. To enable the driver you need to add the following
lines to the bottom of file /boot/config.txt

For DRAWS hat:

dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

For UDRC & UDRC II hats you need to flush dtoverlays before loading
the draws overlay:

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

After a reboot to verify the driver has in fact been loaded run:
aplay -l
and look for this line:

card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []

The dtoverlay flush is required because the older HATS (udrc & udrc II)
have an overlay in the HAT eeprom and Linux has changed the names of
some variables used by these overlays causing them not to work. Flushing
the overlays (dtoverlay=) removes the older non functioning dtoverlay
loaded from the eeprom allowing the new overlay loaded from the file
system to be functional.

Now I would like to know how to install AX.25 and APRS stuff ?
I am currently testing a new buster image with the same functionality as
previous images and will upload in the next day or 2.

Is any N7NIX script available ?
The same scripts that you previously used to configure
direwolf/ax.25/packet programs will work with the new image.

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
http://radiotelescope-lavillette.fr

Bernard Pidoux

Hi Basil,
Unfortunately /boot/config.txt modifications does not work.
aplay -l does not display card1: udrc
Here is the screen dump :

I suspect a conflict with forced sound through HDMI1 display.

Regards,

Bernard

Jonathan Magee

Hi Bernard
Basil's advice isn't totally correct, for some Draw Hats you need to include in /boot/config.txt the line:
dtoverlay=
as well as the other lines. So the extra lines are (as per UDRC & UDRC II hats )

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

That is what I had to do with my Draws Hat
Regards
Jonathan GI7KMC

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 12:09, Bernard Pidoux <bernard.f6bvp@...> wrote:
Hi Basil,
Unfortunately /boot/config.txt modifications does not work.
aplay -l does not display card1: udrc
Here is the screen dump :

I suspect a conflict with forced sound through HDMI1 display.

Regards,

Bernard

Bernard Pidoux

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your kind complementary advice.
However, I have exactly the same issue with another RaspBerry Pi 3B and udrcII HAT.
No way to get driver loaded  although I included dtoverlay=
Distro is raspbian buster and kernel is 4.19.66-v7+

Bernard

Bernard Pidoux

Here is what n7nix show-udrc.sh script diaplays.
It may help.

Bernard

Try removing the space before alsaname

# Enable UDRC driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
dtoverlay=

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Bernard Pidoux <bernard.f6bvp@...> wrote:
Here is what n7nix show-udrc.sh script diaplays.
It may help.

Bernard

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Bernard Pidoux

Hi John,
No change after removal of space character and reboot with udrcII hat.
I did not try yet on other device with DRAWS.
What can I do or send you for help ?

Bernard

Bernard Pidoux

Please fin attached config.txt and show-udrc output message.

Basil Gunn

You are not using an RPi 4 yet your configuration is in the [Pi4]
section in config.txt. Take the udrc configuration:

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

and move it to the end of the config.txt file under the [all] section.
Since you have a UDRC II it is a requirement that you use dtoverlay= to
flush the broken overlay before loading a good overlay.

Thanks for providing your config.txt file and the output of showudrc.sh.
/Basil

Bernard Pidoux <bernard.f6bvp@...> writes:

Please fin attached config.txt and show-udrc output message.

# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=35

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
# Enable UDRC driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc

force_turbo=1

max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=udrc

==== Sound Card ====
No udrc sound card found.
==== Pi Ver ====
Pi 3 Model B Mfg by Sony UK
Has WiFi
==== udrc Ver ====
Found a UDRC II

HAT ID EEPROM
Name: hat
Product: Universal Digital Radio Controller II
Product ID: 0x0003
Product ver: 0x0001
UUID: ea0d20c1-38fd-4dc4-a633-5ea145700e79
Vendor: NW Digital Radio

Basil Gunn

Basil's advice IS totally correct. If you have a DRAWS hat, NOT a UDRC
or UDRC II then you do NOT need to include the overlay flush line
dtoverlay=. It doesn't hurt anything to include the line but since the
overlay does NOT exist in eeprom for the DRAWS hat as it does for the
UDR & some of the UDRC II hats it really doesn't actually do anything.

If you have a DRAWS hat and find that you need to use dtoverlay= to get
the DRAWS driver to load and recognize the hat then you have other
problems, like the kernel you are using doesn't have all of Anna'a
patches or your upgrade path has left a bunch of stale overlays in
/boot/overlays directory.

On a new install using Raspbian with kernel version 4.19.66 or newer you
will not have that problem.
/Basil

wrote:

Hi Basil,
Unfortunately /boot/config.txt modifications does not work.
aplay -l does not display card1: udrc
Here is the screen dump :

I suspect a conflict with forced sound through HDMI1 display.

Regards,

Bernard

Jonathan Magee

That is not what I have found in practice. I created a clean sd card from the official image for buster and to get the Draws Hat to be recognised I had to add in the  dtoverlay= line
When I did investigate it was trying to load in a device tree from the HAT and failed. Did the design of Draws boards change with respect to the eprom?

Regards
Jonathan

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 16:19, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Basil's advice IS totally correct. If you have a DRAWS hat, NOT a UDRC
or UDRC II then you do NOT need to include the overlay flush line
dtoverlay=. It doesn't hurt anything to include the line but since the
overlay does NOT exist in eeprom for the DRAWS hat as it does for the
UDR & some of the UDRC II hats it really doesn't actually do anything.

If you have a DRAWS hat and find that you need to use dtoverlay= to get
the DRAWS driver to load and recognize the hat then you have other
problems, like the kernel you are using doesn't have all of Anna'a
patches or your upgrade path has left a bunch of stale overlays in
/boot/overlays directory.

On a new install using Raspbian with kernel version 4.19.66 or newer you
will not have that problem.
/Basil

Jonathan Magee <jmagee@...> writes:

> Hi Bernard
> Basil's advice isn't totally correct, for some Draw Hats you need to
> include in /boot/config.txt the line:
> dtoverlay=
> as well as the other lines. So the extra lines are (as per UDRC & UDRC II
> hats )
>
> dtoverlay=
> dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
> force_turbo=1
>
> That is what I had to do with my Draws Hat
> Regards
> Jonathan GI7KMC
>
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 12:09, Bernard Pidoux <bernard.f6bvp@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Basil,
>> Unfortunately /boot/config.txt modifications does not work.
>> aplay -l does not display card1: udrc
>> Here is the screen dump :
>>

>> I suspect a conflict with forced sound through HDMI1 display.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bernard

Basil Gunn

The problem is Anna's driver patches for the tlv320aic sound codec
didn't ALL make it into the Linux mainline kernel when Raspbian first
released Buster. There have been 3 or more kernel updates in Raspbian
since June. The current kernel used by Raspbian, 4.19.66-v7+ has all of
Anna's patches & works fine.

Since the kernel you are currently using may have changed since you
modified your /boot/config.txt file try commenting out the dtoverlay=
line and running 'aplay -l'

Did the design of Draws boards change with respect to the eprom?
The overlay file required by the NW Digital Radio hats (UDRC, UDRC II &
DRAWS) grew too large to fit into the eeprom and is now loaded from the
boot file system. Also the Linux overlay code changed the names of some
of the overlay variables making any of the previous hat overlays that
are loaded from eeprom not work. Those hats require that the dtoverlay=
be used.

I would like to find out which NW Digital Radio hat you have:
udrcver.sh
and what version of the kernel you are running:
uname -r
and if you comment out the dtoverlay= line whether you still see the
problem of the hat not being enumerated.
aplay -l

wrote:

Hi Basil,
Unfortunately /boot/config.txt modifications does not work.
aplay -l does not display card1: udrc
Here is the screen dump :

I suspect a conflict with forced sound through HDMI1 display.

Regards,

Bernard

Bernard Pidoux

As suggested I moved driver lines to [all] section.
However this did not help.

I performed a RaspBerry Pi firmware + kernel update using rpi-update
upgrading to kernel is 4.19.75-v7+

Interestingly there are now two errors messages displayed when running show-udrc.sh

chk1: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4-i2c.ko exists, Driver CONFLICT
chk2: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4.ko exists, Driver CONFLICT
==== Sound Card ====
No udrc sound card found.
==== Pi Ver ====
 Pi 3 Model B Mfg by Sony UK
 Has WiFi
==== udrc Ver ====
Found a UDRC II

     HAT ID EEPROM
Name:        hat
Product:     Universal Digital Radio Controller II
Product ID:  0x0003
Product ver: 0x0001
UUID:        ea0d20c1-38fd-4dc4-a633-5ea145700e79
Vendor:      NW Digital Radio

Bernard

Bernard Pidoux

Adding lsmod dump could help ?

Basil Gunn

As suggested I moved driver lines to [all] section.
However this did not help.
Later on today look for a new RPi image that should fix your problem.
However adding those 3 lines to the bottom of the latest Raspbian images
should work. I don't have enough visibility into your system to
understand why it doesn't.

I performed a RaspBerry Pi firmware + kernel update using rpi-update
upgrading to kernel is 4.19.75-v7+
Since the kernel you get from doing this is bleeding edge I have not
tested it and do NOT support it. For others reading this post please do
NOT run rpi-update as that will install an unsupported kernel.

Interestingly there are now two errors messages displayed when running show-udrc.sh

chk1: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4-i2c.ko exists, Driver CONFLICT
chk2: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4.ko exists, Driver CONFLICT
You are seeing these messages because that script you are running hasn't
been updated for compatibility with Linux buster. If you update the
scripts from my repository you will get a version that handles buster
properly.

cd
cd n7nix
git pull

/Basil

Bernard Pidoux

Hi Basil,
I would like to try new RPi image.as you suggested.
Where can I download it from ?

Bernard

Bernard f6bvp

Hi,
I finally installed last image nw14 and DRAWS driver is ok and aplay -l listed the device is present.

**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
carte 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], périphérique 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Sous-périphériques: 7/7
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
  Sous-périphérique #1: subdevice #1
  Sous-périphérique #2: subdevice #2
  Sous-périphérique #3: subdevice #3
  Sous-périphérique #4: subdevice #4
  Sous-périphérique #5: subdevice #5
  Sous-périphérique #6: subdevice #6
carte 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], périphérique 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], périphérique 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 1: udrc [udrc], périphérique 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
  Sous-périphériques: 1/1
  Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0

I thought that Raspbian Busper would be ok but I was apparently wrong.

Bernard

Basil Gunn

f6bvp <f6bvp@...> writes:

Hi,
I finally installed last image nw14 and DRAWS driver is ok and aplay -l listed the device is present.

carte 1: udrc [udrc], périphérique 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
Sous-périphériques: 1/1
Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0

I thought that Raspbian Busper would be ok but I was apparently wrong.
You are not wrong. The current version of Raspbian Buster has a kernel
with the required driver and will work fine with udrc/udrc II/DRAWS
hats.

You had some other problem that I was unable to determine from our
email exchange. The key is you need to have a current Raspbian kernel,
4.19.66-v7+ or newer and since you were not running a DRAWS hat you
needed to flush overlays before specifying a udrc overlay in /boot/config.txt.

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=udrc
force_turbo=1

/Basil

Frank Ivan

Hi Guys,

I spent quite a bit of time on this because I, like Jonathan, have first run Draws hats which also require the dtoverlay= line.
I found the best place to put the new lines are the first non-commented lines in the /boot/Config.txt file.
If you want to make your own SD card, down load the latest Buster and then update it with sudo apt update sudo apt disc-upgrade.  Do not use rpi-update - that brings in a 64 bit experimental kernel that does not yet have the drivers you need.
After you get the system up to date, add the lines to the /boot/Config.txt - just make them the first non-comment lines and after a reboot (assuming the Draws card is installed), the aplay -l command should show the sound card.

Then you can download the n7nix file and run the config/image_install.sh.

If you want to skip all of that, you can download https://www.dropbox.com/s/i21qtsn7c9pwx19/Buster-Draws-2019-09-03.gz?dl=0 which links to a copy of Buster ready to go.  Just be sure to expand the disk when you first boot the Pi - sudo rasps-config or install gparted and use that.

73 - Frank - K0FEI