Topics

image update failure

John Spoonhower

I am attempting to update my aprs system to the current buster-based image nwdr14.img. the old image was beta 10 I believe. The system uses a UDRC-II HAT. I am looking for a very plain end point; an APRS Igate with some custom software that automatically broadcasts NWS warning packets when an official weather warming is issued. I have had the custom software running on the old beta image.
I have followed the online guidance for installing and verifying  the image file. All seems to proceed normally. The only exception is that showudrc.sh alerts that the gpsd has failed.
(There is no gps on my UDRC HAT).
The problem is that although all seems normal otherwise, there are no packets received as evidenced by either "listen -at" or "tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log".
It is very clear that the attached radio is receiving aprs packets.
There is likely something obvious I am missing ...?
73,
John, NX2i

Basil Gunn

I am attempting to update my aprs system to the current buster-based image
nwdr14.img. the old image was beta 10 I believe.
New image is not released yet, so not supported yet.

The system uses a UDRC-II
HAT. I am looking for a very plain end point; an APRS Igate with some
custom software that automatically broadcasts NWS warning packets when an
official weather warming is issued. I have had the custom software running
on the old beta image.
Sounds cool.

I have followed the online guidance for installing and verifying the image
file. All seems to proceed normally. The only exception is that showudrc.sh
alerts that the gpsd has failed.
(There is no gps on my UDRC HAT).
I can't comment on that unless I see the actual showudrc.sh console
output. But please wait until I announce the release. Should be in the
next day or 2. Life keeps getting in the way.

The problem is that although all seems normal otherwise, there are no
packets received as evidenced by either "listen -at" or "tail -f
/var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log".
Did you set your alsa settings the same as what you had on your working
BETA10 image?

It is very clear that the attached radio is receiving aprs packets.
There is likely something obvious I am missing ...?

John Spoonhower

Hi Basil,
thanks for the information. I have some additional responses below.
73, NX2I
John

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 5:52 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> I am attempting to update my aprs system to the current buster-based image
> nwdr14.img. the old image was beta 10 I believe.

New image is not released yet, so not supported yet.

I am not sure what "released " means; nwdr14.imgf is what I get when I click on "current image" on the NWD download site.

> The system uses a UDRC-II
> HAT. I am looking for a very plain end point; an APRS Igate with some
> custom software that automatically broadcasts NWS warning packets when an
> official weather warming is issued. I have had the custom software running
> on the old beta image.

Sounds cool.

The credit belongs with K2DLS. If I can implement this, anyone can. Just search for noaacap.py or K2DLS.

> I have followed the online guidance for installing and verifying  the image
> file. All seems to proceed normally. The only exception is that showudrc.sh
> alerts that the gpsd has failed.
> (There is no gps on my UDRC HAT).

I can't comment on that unless I see the actual showudrc.sh console
output. But please wait until I announce the release. Should be in the
next day or 2. Life keeps getting in the way.

The gpsd problem has been fixed by simply pointing to the correct device file in /etc/defaults/gpsd. I can send the showudrc.sh when you wish,

> The problem is that although all seems normal otherwise, there are no
> packets received as evidenced by either "listen -at" or "tail -f
> /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log".

Did you set your alsa settings the same as what you had on your working
BETA10 image?

yes.
> It is very clear that the attached radio is receiving aprs packets.
> There is likely something obvious I am missing ...?

Basil Gunn

The problem is that although all seems normal otherwise, there are no
packets received as evidenced by either "listen -at" or "tail -f
/var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log".
Did you set your alsa settings the same as what you had on your working
BETA10 image?

yes.
It is very clear that the attached radio is receiving aprs packets.
There is likely something obvious I am missing ...?
I think that your ALSA audio routing is incorrect.
If you route through ALSA IN1 then you are using DISCOUT or
discriminator audio. If you route through ALSA IN2 then you are using AFOUT or
compensated audio (preemphasis/deemphasis). Verify how your radio is
configured. On my Kenwood if I select DATSPD 9600 I am selecting
DISCOUT. This works well for both 1200 & 9600 baud packet.

Could you please return the console output of:

# Verify driver loaded properly
aplay -l

# Verify configured for udrc & not draws
tail /boot/config.txt

# Verify how ALSA is routing audio in
alsa-show.sh

John Spoonhower

Basil,
73, John

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:42 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
>> > The problem is that although all seems normal otherwise, there are no
>> > packets received as evidenced by either "listen -at" or "tail -f
>> > /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log".
>>
>> Did you set your alsa settings the same as what you had on your working
>> BETA10 image?
>>
>> yes.
>
>> > It is very clear that the attached radio is receiving aprs packets.
>> > There is likely something obvious I am missing ...?

I think that your ALSA audio routing is incorrect.
If you route through ALSA IN1 then you are using DISCOUT or
discriminator audio. If you route through ALSA IN2 then you are using AFOUT or
compensated audio (preemphasis/deemphasis). Verify how your radio is
configured. On my Kenwood if I select DATSPD 9600 I am selecting
DISCOUT. This works well for both 1200 & 9600 baud packet.

This is not clear to me. I have tested the RPI3/UDRC-II controller to 2 different Yaesu radios both of which work fine with the beta 10 version.

Could you please return the console output of:

# Verify driver loaded properly
aplay -l

 aplay -l
card 0: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# Verify configured for udrc & not draws
tail /boot/config.txt
tail /boot/config.txt
[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

# Flush all overlays, ie. deprecated overlays loaded from eeprom
dtoverlay=
# enable udrc/draws if no eeprom
dtoverlay=udrc

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
#dtparam=audio=on

# Verify how ALSA is routing audio in
alsa-show.sh

 alsa-show.sh
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB] R:[-6.00dB]
PCM        L:[-16.50dB] R:[-16.50dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

I used a new image (nwdr14) with a UDRC II and it worked fine. I will
release that image today. The only thing I changed from the scripts was
to select discriminator out using the alsa commands. You can do it from
the alsamixer gui as well.

sset 'IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'
sset 'IN1_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'

Since you have a working configuration why not save it to a file &
compare it with the configuration you are using with the new image.
ie. save /boot/config.txt, alsa-show, ax25-status -d

You could try a transmit test to see what that gives you
cd
cd n7nix/debug
./btest.sh -P udr1 -p

Remember that on a UDRC II the mDin6 connector is port 1 not port 0.

I notice that you have manually edited /boot/config.txt. I did not
manually edit any files for my UDRC II test.

/Basil

John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> writes:

Basil,
73, John

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:42 PM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I will give this a try.
On a somewhat different topic...I notice in beacmin.sh that in the comments aprs symbols are listed. I do not see sending a symbol implemented in this script. Is this fairly straightforward to add ?

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 11:17 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> configured. On my Kenwood if I select DATSPD 9600 I am selecting
>> DISCOUT. This works well for both 1200 & 9600 baud packet.
>>

> This is not clear to me. I have tested the RPI3/UDRC-II controller to 2
> different Yaesu radios both of which work fine with the beta 10 version.
>

>> Could you please return the console output of:
>>
>> # Verify driver loaded properly
>> aplay -l
>>

>  aplay -l
> card 0: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi
> tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

>> # Verify configured for udrc & not draws
>> tail /boot/config.txt
>>
> tail /boot/config.txt
> [all]
> #dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
>
> # Flush all overlays, ie. deprecated overlays loaded from eeprom

Basil Gunn

First, beacmin.sh was meant to be a minimum beacon command and doesn't
have any arguments. That means it only outputs to the first port (udr0)
which will not work on the UDRC II unless you edit the AX25PORT variable
at the top of the script. The btest.sh script is similar to beacmin.sh
but provides command line arguments to select some things. This is the
script you should use when testing a UDRC II

/btest.sh -h
Usage: btest.sh [-P <port>][-s <num>][-p][-m][-v][-h]
-P <portname> | --portname <portname> eg. udr0
-s <num> | --sid <num> set sid in callsign, number 0-15
-p | --position send a position beacon
-m | --message send a message beacon (default)
-v | --verbose display verbose messages
-h | --help display this message

Second, the APRS symbol is two characters. The first is the symbol table
identifier and the second is the symbol code from that table. If you
look at the beacon_msg variable in either beacmin.sh or btest.sh you
will see that the first character is between ${latdir} & ${lon} and the
second character is between ${londir} & $timestamp.

For more information look at the APRS manual around page 24.
http://www.aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 11:17 AM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

[...]

I verified that the following method also works.
Copy the following alsa control values from your working image,
you can read them by running alsa-show.sh.

LO Driver Gain
PCM
ADC Level

Boot your new image and run:
cd
cd bin
sudo su
./setalsa-udrc-din6.sh

Now run alsamixer and set LO Driver Gain, PCM & ADC Level. To make
things more convenient you could use an editor and set the 3 values in
the setalsa-udrc-din6.sh script. They are the first 3 levels set.

Verify by running alsa-show.sh one more time.

[...]

again thanks for the help.
I didn't bother to download the last image. I found the problem is fixed by simply using alsamixer and the settings you mention.
The ./btest.sh script runs OK (packets seen on aprs.fi) too on port udrc 1. I still have to fix up the location finding via gps as on the udrc II I have a BU-353S4 usb gps not the draws device. Although gpsd is running just fine, the position data parsing provided in btest.sh is looking for NMEA sentences, while I am fairly certain my device is not NMEA by default.
After that I will takeon the APRX install....

73, John

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 8:02 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

John,
I verified that the following method also works.
Copy the following alsa control values from your working image,
you can read them by running alsa-show.sh.

LO Driver Gain
PCM
ADC Level

Boot your new image and run:
cd
cd bin
sudo su
./setalsa-udrc-din6.sh

Now run alsamixer and set LO Driver Gain, PCM & ADC Level.  To make
things more convenient you could use an editor and set the 3 values in
the setalsa-udrc-din6.sh script. They are the first 3 levels set.

Verify by running alsa-show.sh one more time.

/Basil

John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> writes:

> Thanks. I will give this a try.
> On a somewhat different topic...I notice in beacmin.sh that in the comments
> aprs symbols are listed. I do not see sending a symbol implemented in this
> script. Is this fairly straightforward to add ?
>
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 11:17 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
>

>> I used a new image (nwdr14) with a UDRC II and it worked fine. I will
>> release that image today. The only thing I changed from the scripts was
>> to select discriminator out using the alsa commands. You can do it from
>> the alsamixer gui as well.
>>
>> sset 'IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'
>> sset 'IN1_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'
>>
>> Since you have a working configuration why not save it to a file &
>> compare it with the configuration you are using with the new image.
>> ie. save /boot/config.txt, alsa-show, ax25-status -d
>>
>> You could try a transmit test to see what that gives you
>> cd
>> cd n7nix/debug
>> ./btest.sh -P udr1 -p
>>
>> Remember that on a UDRC II the mDin6 connector is port 1 not port 0.
>>
>> I notice that you have manually edited /boot/config.txt. I did not
>> manually edit any files for my UDRC II test.
>>
>> /Basil

Basil Gunn

John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> writes:

Basil,
again thanks for the help.
I didn't bother to download the last image. I found the problem is fixed by
simply using alsamixer and the settings you mention.
Glad to hear you have things working!!

The ./btest.sh script runs OK (packets seen on aprs.fi) too on port
udrc 1.
I originally made this script as a quick test for packet using any of
the hats UDRC/UDRC II/DRAWS.

I still have to fix up the location finding via gps as on the udrc II I
have a BU-353S4 usb gps not the draws device. Although gpsd is running just
fine, the position data parsing provided in btest.sh is looking for NMEA
sentences, while I am fairly certain my device is not NMEA by default.
I wanted the btest.sh script to work for UDRC/UDRC II hats ie. without
the on board GPS so I just conditional'ed the GPS stuff based on hat
type. Please hack this script to make it do what you want. I have both
gpsd & nmea functions in that script.

After that I will takeon the APRX install....
Yes, APRX is the way to go for APRS gating/digipeating.

73, John