Topics

NWDR14 image release announcement #beta #support

Basil Gunn

One thing maybe to note would be the inclusion of
a note that the default editor for the V14 image is JED.
Did not know that. Usually the first time you edit one of the system
files like a crontab entry you get presented with a menu of all the
editor choices.

I have never
seen this editor before (Newbie status) and could not save the image
when I was installing PAT. I changed it with the sudo
update-alternatives --config editor command to nano and then I was
back in familiar territory, although knowing it is JED I can deal with
that also now.
I don't mess with any default system settings like default editor. This
setting would be the same as a vanilla Raspbian image.

What I want to get to is one DRAWS port for VHF packet and the second
for HF apps (understanding that ax25 will have to be stopped to switch
between them (I think).
You will not have to stop AX.25 as long as you only bind to one of the
ports. See split-channels README.md here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/split-channels

I will probably order a second draws for a "Go
Kit" when the cases get into the distribution channel. This one will
be a Pi4 based system. I wish I could help more but my skills in this
area only allow to comment how I can break things..

Thanks again to the team. I have known John Hayes for over 30 years
and he is a good friend.

Dave Christensen

Thanks for the reply Basil.  I am a real Newbie to DRAWS and Linux but I muddled through the install until I went to setup ARDOP from the web and then later discovered there was a script to do that.  So I am starting over again to do it using the supplied scripts.  Under the getting started web page = "https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Image-getting-started"  there are 5 steps listed and the first three steps have similar and different instructions for creating the SD card and running the configure scripts.  I suspect this is from improving the images since January.  Being a IT person I understand that the Docs come last but I think they should be updated for the current images as they improve and simplify things.  One thing maybe to note would be the inclusion of a note that the default editor for the V14 image is JED.  I have never seen this editor before (Newbie status) and could not save the image when I was installing PAT.  I changed it with the sudo update-alternatives --config editor command to nano and then I was back in familiar territory, although knowing it is JED I can deal with that also now.

What I want to get to is one DRAWS port for VHF packet and the second for HF apps (understanding that ax25 will have to be stopped to switch between them (I think).  I will probably order a second draws for a "Go Kit" when the cases get into the distribution channel.  This one will be a Pi4 based system.  I wish I could help more but my skills in this area only allow to comment how I can break things..

Thanks again to the team.  I have known John Hayes for over 30 years and he is a good friend.

Basil Gunn

direwolf is a daemon & is controlled by systemd as is the preferred
method for controlling daemons that usually start from boot.

The scripts to start/stop/status direwolf & the ax.25 interface are:

cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-status
./ax25-start
./ax25-stop

You can also look at the direwolf daemon status like this:

systemctl status direwolf

The icon in the RPi menus for direwolf comes from the standard direwolf
install and should be deleted.

If you have done a core configuration as described in the 'Getting
Started Guide' then the direwolf binary is in directory /usr/local/bin and
the configuration file is in /etc
ie.
/usr/local/bin/direwolf
/etc/direwolf.conf

/Basil

Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> writes:

I installed NWDR14. I have not spent much time with DRAWS and in fact have no radios hooked up right now (working on that). So this project has been "benchware" for me. I did bring up FLDigi and it looked familiar to my PC version.

When I clicked on Other>Direwolf I get a message "Failed to change to directory "/root" (Permission denied)" I looked at the shortcut properties and see that the working directory is /root. Is this a problem or can it be fixed?

Thanks and 73
Dave - KD7UM

Dave Christensen

I installed NWDR14.  I have not spent much time with DRAWS and in fact have no radios hooked up right now (working on that).  So this project has been "benchware" for me.  I did bring up FLDigi and it looked familiar to my PC version.

When I clicked on Other>Direwolf  I get a message "Failed to change to directory "/root" (Permission denied)"   I looked at the shortcut properties and see that the working directory is /root.  Is this a problem or can it be fixed?

Thanks and 73
Dave - KD7UM

K4KDR

Thanks a million for the secondary download location, William.

Pulled down a copy and just booted the Pi-3 / DRAWS to take a look and make sure I had followed the correct setup sequence.  Looks like the DRAWS is recognized & all ready to use.

Many thanks to Basil for putting v14 together!

Hopefully I won't fall too far behind, but for now I'll continue with the card I have fully setup from the last v13 image.  With everything configured & working so perfectly, I just want to keep using it as-is for the moment.  I've manually installed or configured the latest versions of everything I use (Direwolf, PAT Winlink for ax25 & ARDOP, JS8Call, WSJTx, and all the other stuff), so I really don't want to re-do everything on a new system at the moment.  I like to stay current as much as everyone else, but it's so nice to have a good portable system that "just works".

Appreciate everyone's effort on the project!

-Scott,  K4KDR

===================

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 11:24 PM William Franzin <wfranzin@...> wrote:
Just downloaded this myself and it took a while so cloned it here: https://tor1.radiowaves.ca/nwdr14.zip

This is a Digital Ocean virtual in Toronto, set the limit at 900GB so go nuts. It gave me 42MB/sec to home.

As a reminder.

Basil puts together these images as a favor and courtesy to the community.  NW Digital Radio is not the author of Linux/Raspbian or any of the applications that are preloaded on the beta images. Support for Linux/Raspbian, applications, and configurations belong to the respective authors and their support mechanisms. Some of which are listed via DRAWS™ Manager.

If you appreciate Basil's efforts in this regard, please let him know.  If you wish to build your own images, you are free to do so, but neither NW Digital Radio nor any of its team members are under any obligation to provide advice or support for making or debugging those images.

From http://nwdigitalradio.com/draws/
"What technical support is provided for DRAWS?

NW Digital Radio supports the DRAWS HAT hardware and its driver software.  All other applications are provided on an ‘as is’ basis, with support for configuration and operation of those applications provided by the authors and user community for those applications.  NW Digital Radio’s DRAWS HAT driver and configuration is Open Source Software and is free for amateur radio use."

John D. Hays
Director

Basil Gunn

David C Jenner - K7DCJ via Groups.Io <djenner8=mac.com@groups.io> writes:

Basil,

I have a Raspbian Buster RPi 4 running the desired kernel. I want to
install whatever is included in the standard DRAWS image over this.
Not sure why you would want to do this as the provided image has already
done the heavy lifting of the install but if you really want to, look at
this file for instructions:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/CORE_INSTALL.md

Building an image will take a few hours to a half a day depending on how many
problems you run into. Then a few days of testing to confirm it works
the way you think it does.

I suspect there is no file n7nix/config/image_install.sh installed
anywhere on my system. Correct me if I a wrong, please.
Correct. Read CORE_INSTALL.md link above.

Your instructions in the Wiki under "Make your own Raspberry Pi image"
stop after creating the Raspbian image, much as I have done. There
are no instructions on how to proceed after that.
Correct. I really do not want to support making your own image.

In an earlier post I saw instructions that may be what I am looking
for, but they were prefaced by "off the top of my head." If those are
the instructions, I would prefer that they are a bit more verified and
part of the official Wiki instructions before I make trouble.
The CORE_INSTALL.md contains (most of) the instructions I use to build
an image. It is not as straight forward as you think. ie. gpsd in the
Raspbian repository has problems so I build the latest from source. Also
in order to build FLdigi you must increase swap space. There are
probably another half dozen or so things that you need to take care
of. This is why there is a provided image.

Having said all that I understand the reasoning behind making a more
minimal image for things that do not require a window manager like an
APRS digipeater or an RMS Gateway or if you just want to run HF programs
like js8call.

If you look at the config/image_install.sh script you should be able to
pick the things you want in an image that fits your requirements. If you
go this route please know I most likely will not answer your questions
but it is a forum so others might.

/Basil

William Franzin

Just downloaded this myself and it took a while so cloned it here: https://tor1.radiowaves.ca/nwdr14.zip

This is a Digital Ocean virtual in Toronto, set the limit at 900GB so go nuts. It gave me 42MB/sec to home.

David C Jenner - K7DCJ

Basil,

I have a Raspbian Buster RPi 4 running the desired kernel. I want to install whatever is included in the standard DRAWS image over this.

I suspect there is no file n7nix/config/image_install.sh installed anywhere on my system. Correct me if I a wrong, please.

Your instructions in the Wiki under "Make your own Raspberry Pi image" stop after creating the Raspbian image, much as I have done. There are no instructions on how to proceed after that.

In an earlier post I saw instructions that may be what I am looking for, but they were prefaced by "off the top of my head." If those are the instructions, I would prefer that they are a bit more verified and part of the official Wiki instructions before I make trouble.

Thanks,
Dave

Basil Gunn

Dave,

The "DRAWS specific software" are two codec drivers that are in the Linux
kernel and an overlay that loads at boot time.
The drivers are:
snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4_i2c
snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4

The overlays are either: udrc.dtbo or draws.dtbo depending on which hat
you have installed.

While there is some specific configuration required to take advantage of
the DRAWS hat gps & A/D converter all the other software provided in the
image are scripts that install or configure other software that could be
used by any sound card or serial/i2c TNC.

Most everything that I do to create an image I do with a script. See
n7nix/config/image_install.sh. That's only mostly true because there is
always some futzing around with a new Raspbian distribution to get some
things to work properly.

Perhaps you could explicitly state what you want to do and I can provide
some guidance on how to get there.
/Basil n7nix

David C Jenner - K7DCJ via Groups.Io <djenner8=mac.com@groups.io> writes:

Basil,

Please add how to install this on one's own RPi 4 Raspbian image (with
proper kernel). Your instructions at "Make your own Raspberry Pi image"
seem to end before adding the DRAWS-specific software.

Thanks,
Dave

David C Jenner - K7DCJ

Basil,

Please add how to install this on one's own RPi 4 Raspbian image (with proper kernel). Your instructions at "Make your own Raspberry Pi image" seem to end before adding the DRAWS-specific software.

Thanks,
Dave

On 10/7/19 9:30 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
Before you update your image, please capture any configuration changes
you might have made like current alsamixer settings.
Run alsa-show.sh & make a copy of result. Note a minimum
microSD card size of at least 16GB is recommended.
Latest RPi image current_image.zip has been updated to nwdr14.zip at
this location: http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/downloads
Please follow the "Getting Started Guide" from the UDRC Wiki.
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started
This image has a Linux kernel (4.19.66) that includes Anna's main line
TI tlv320aic device driver that supports the UDC / UDRC II & DRAWS hats.
This means you can more easily make your own images.
On first boot, if you have an attached monitor, you will see the piwiz
configuration screen currently used on new Raspbian images.
If you are using a Raspberry Pi 4 and your monitor is blank then add
this to /boot/config.txt to use HDMI safe mode.
hdmi_safe=1
If you have any problems please include the output of script showudrc.sh
with your problem description.
Changes since last release
* Image NWDR14 release
* Use Raspbian Buster (Debian 10) with main line tlv320aic driver as image base
* Compass is deprecated
* Updated all HF programs
* Updated 'Getting Started' guide
* Fix permission problem when installing iptables
* Made beacon scripts independent of gps.
* Add script to easily switch between 1200 & 9600 baud packet.
* Add script to change RPi led trigger method
8728704 - n7nix, 17 hours ago : Clean-up order of statements so comments make sense & facilitate comparing with other scripts.
93f8323 - n7nix, 18 hours ago : Move comment to where it makes more sense.
f4a64af - n7nix, 18 hours ago : Add note to verify ALSA settings. Take out count of reboots.
b2ad1db - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Add more description about AFOUT & DISCOUT, input signals to UDRC/DRAWS.
48fc21f - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Wordsmith a comment.
d00c948 - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Rearrange some lines to facilitate comparison with other setalsa scripts.
8314cb2 - n7nix, 24 hours ago : Add a note regarding UDRC II mDin6 channel.
c370052 - n7nix, 25 hours ago : Change initial config notes to include piwiz startup.
8736e68 - n7nix, 25 hours ago : Change comment to reflect direction of input.
6f1412c - n7nix, 3 days ago : Set execute permissions.
0108ce7 - n7nix, 3 days ago : Add help option to display usage.
ac00a5c - n7nix, 3 days ago : Only use gps if DRAWS hat is detected.
722968f - n7nix, 3 days ago : Update RPi model numbers & only display gps info if DRAWS hat detected.
6541719 - n7nix, 3 days ago : Parameterize led number.
c34eaf4 - n7nix, 7 days ago : Fix comments to describe reality.
276babe - n7nix, 7 days ago : Always run chk_bootcfg.sh from core_config.sh script to set overlay name.
7246656 - n7nix, 7 days ago : Wordsmith message on running claws_install for the first time.
6c0a847 - n7nix, 7 days ago : Fix problem of installing claws-mail & dovecot
e124819 - n7nix, 8 days ago : Fix bug, dbgecho was not defined.
9f0ea62 - n7nix, 8 days ago : Fix documentation regarding pluimap which is deprecated.
be96477 - n7nix, 8 days ago : Take out installing pluimap as an option.
f01a7af - n7nix, 8 days ago : Update getting started configuration.
1d82cae - n7nix, 9 days ago : Make beacon scripts independent of gpsd.
404d155 - n7nix, 9 days ago : Add display of current cpu temperature.
9cebc0f - n7nix, 9 days ago : Fix variable name change.
355f65c - n7nix, 9 days ago : Update to be compatible with latest Linux kernel in buster.
04ebd94 - n7nix, 13 days ago : libncurses.so.5 was not getting installed. Added libncurses5 to essential packages to install.
e9bebbc - n7nix, 2 weeks ago : Use canned lat/lon if can't read gps data.
ddafa49 - n7nix, 2 weeks ago : Fix failure due to no tmp directory.
888cb15 - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Fix script syntax error when checking user:group of a directory
e2faf05 - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Build fldigi before other FL apps.
a303dd4 - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Fix xastir install script file name, install draws-manager when building image.
6ebaafa - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Add dtoverlay= to flush any overlays loaded from eeprom.
c5991da - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Add script to enlarge swap size before doing an image install.
df88d9c - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Put HF program install at end of install.
c24b75a - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Add reminder to use script to save all console output.
d95763e - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Fix permissions bug when creating 70-ipv4.ax25 file.
14b6de7 - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Fix RMS Gateway directory link on install
52a9aae - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Fix downloading nodejs source, no need to do this.
dfcd672 - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Increase swap size to 1024M
d931443 - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Check swap size before doing an image build.
699637b - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Fix building in wrong directory problem.
78961af - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Fix FL apps check were app was downloaded but source not built.
1ec20ae - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Update names of required packages.
669b64e - n7nix, 3 weeks ago : Get rid of references to compass.
de0a58a - n7nix, 4 weeks ago : Fix wrong source directory when only building fldigi.
ddddd7d - n7nix, 4 weeks ago : Rebuild fldigi as a default.
e7773d8 - n7nix, 4 weeks ago : Update FL app version numbers to current.
5a886c1 - n7nix, 4 weeks ago : Display gpsd version number that will be downloaded.
39ba260 - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Fix mis-spelled variable name.
1f019d6 - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Add easy way to get RPi temperature & throttling history.
4d8eaae - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Display msg when disabling service, include RPi 4 in console output.
be92b5a - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Include RPi 4 in echo statement.
9e7fa62 - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Change directory owner to current user to build Xastir without being root.
fcf5042 - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Detect & fix direwolf process running, gpio 7 mode ALT0.
0574b22 - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Take out tlv320 driver conflict check.
a2234a6 - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Add ax25-reset script to bin directory.
5212b4f - n7nix, 5 weeks ago : Make it more obvious how to initially start up rainloop.
b84cf95 - n7nix, 6 weeks ago : Make kissparms more aggressive for 9600 baud.
6ed7390 - n7nix, 6 weeks ago : Knock received signal down for 9600 baud.
0057400 - n7nix, 6 weeks ago : Fix path error.
5629dcb - n7nix, 6 weeks ago : Fix spelling.
81aaffd - n7nix, 7 weeks ago : Add script to easily switch between 1200 & 9600 baud packet.
b5bef04 - n7nix, 7 weeks ago : Conditional ALSA settings based on 9600 baud switch.
2518b53 - n7nix, 7 weeks ago : Fix broken relative url links.
6157e4a - n7nix, 7 weeks ago : Add over temperature CPU throttle indicator.
f982f79 - n7nix, 7 weeks ago : Support for 9600 baud.
17991a0 - n7nix, 7 weeks ago : Added for 9600 baud configuration checking.
d156136 - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Add bc to required build tools for direwolf, add sensor support.
853fe9d - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Display message when installing sensor support.
86367f1 - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Add libudev-dev package as a new build requirement package for direwolf.
8dc1cb4 - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Fix DireWolf version, just dev.
267a51c - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Fix lingering PHP 7.0 reference.
8fd52e5 - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Fix php version number for Debian buster.
b08b07e - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix
ffa9612 - Basil Gunn, 8 weeks ago : Merge pull request #5 from sgtsmall/master
0f34f49 - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Install required build packages.
fce35f4 - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Update version numbers for HF programs.
254daea - n7nix, 8 weeks ago : Create symbolic link to /usr/local/etc/rmsgw & fix config part of build.
ebb6c22 - n7nix, 10 weeks ago : Setup permissions on target source directory so sudo is not required for wget.
755fbaf - n7nix, 10 weeks ago : Get rid of excess debug statement displaying gps version numbers.
b09062d - n7nix, 10 weeks ago : Set proper permissions on channels & version aging files in 'stat' directory.
94a13e8 - Alex Stewart, 10 weeks ago : update install script plus initial checking for new version on yaac site
c49b38b - Alex Stewart, 10 weeks ago : download to usr/local/src and adjust case for YAAC dir acording to ka2ddo site
1405d09 - Alex Stewart, 2 months ago : Add xterm to yaac for desktop icon
5d9aa9b - Alex, 2 months ago : fix latdir and londir in beacon_msg
a8ea76b - n7nix, 3 months ago : Fix version # is only major.minor number & permission problems.
1165bfc - n7nix, 3 months ago : Check for 3rd version digit is numeric.
d797551 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Install wide version (w) of libncureses as well.
10dcfe8 - n7nix, 3 months ago : If draws sensor file does not exist, create it.
16f079a - n7nix, 3 months ago : Pull latest version of Xastir when checking version.
c44ffb6 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Run apt-get in quiet mode
5beb627 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Install uppdates for new image using 4.19 kernel.
32c4be7 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Fix white space.
182f45d - n7nix, 3 months ago : Update ardop install script.
49efdc9 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Update RPi revision numbers for Pi 4B
74d25bd - n7nix, 3 months ago : Advance uronode install functionality.
e62182c - n7nix, 3 months ago : Fix display of correct program name.
db36e46 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Fix numeric conditional check.
07e697a - n7nix, 3 months ago : Make white space consistent for easier comparison.
7c24671 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Update xastir current version number.
f85cc01 - n7nix, 3 months ago : Add entry for Kenwood TM-281a
22d17f4 - n7nix, 3 months ago : display status of dovecot service.
47ec99e - n7nix, 3 months ago : Add display of GPS string for number of satellites in view.
f513419 - n7nix, 4 months ago : Update usage function with gpio on/off
e905122 - n7nix, 4 months ago : Change comments to be consistent to usage with js8call.
d32cc98 - n7nix, 4 months ago : Move ptt_ctrl.sh script to local bin directory.
be17f6b - n7nix, 4 months ago : Add parsing of arguments on/off with no dash
3dfe043 - n7nix, 4 months ago : Add toggle option, to toggle PTT state
5bdc095 - n7nix, 4 months ago : Add simple script to turn PTT on & off on both connectors.
9907d27 - n7nix, 4 months ago : Turn off upgrading packages & the kernel until all current patches to i2cbcm2835 & tlv320 drivers are accepted.
514f746 - n7nix, 4 months ago : Fix no split-channels directory found error.
128c29b - n7nix, 5 months ago : Add silent option to just update the gateway list file.
aa435f4 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Fix boolean flag to interrogate Winlink Web services.
a3bc3d6 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Update ChangeLog to reflect changes.
7b2f620 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Make prompt for keyboard input consistent.
22a48a3 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Make log file entry accurate.
e2d1861 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Use copy update to fix clobbering previously config'ed files.
139a075 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Set same AX25 port name in axports, ax25d.conf, channels.xml
2a72987 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Get port number from previous configured AX25 file, use parameterized SSID.
b6e95d8 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Fix comment to align with reality.
1604023 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Add no-pager option to systemctl call.
64e76f6 - n7nix, 5 months ago : Add entry for IC-7000
7a407fe - n7nix, 5 months ago : Add new dtoverlay entry for draws.
d773d7a - n7nix, 5 months ago : Add new dtoverlay entry for draws.

Basil Gunn