Topics

KC9KKORE: Second interface

Cowan Bowman

Thank you for the information and the links.

I was looking in the N7NIX repository and didn't realize the information was in it's on repository.

Basically, I wanted to see your approach in setting up pulseaudio and alsa.

I wanted to have basic use of split channels for non ax25 HF using fldigi, wsjtx, or js8call applications and monitor on two separate radios.

It is my 1st time using pulseaudio, and after some experimentation I was able to figure out how to set it up and even remotely listen to the radio audio with RealVNC Profesional server/client.

Still have some fine tuning and additional testing.

I opted to use the default distribution package settings and setup additional setting similar to your but using them in ~/.asoundrc and ~/.pulse/default.pa to split the channels.

Great work guys and thank you again.

Cowan

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 4:34 PM John D Hays - K7VE via Groups.Io <john=hays.org@groups.io> wrote:
Cowan. What are you attempting to do?

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Cowan. What are you attempting to do?

Basil Gunn

One thing I forgot to mention is the speed_switch.sh script is dependent on the
radio you are using. I used a Kenwood TM-V71a. See the "set alsa config"
line towards the bottom of the file. Also you will need to create a
custom set alsa file if you are using split_channels.

/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

I saw that you referenced that you were able to run 9600 and or 1200
on a single radio interface.

Can you refer us to the code, configuration that allows for on the fly
switchng between Direwolf 9600/1200 baud packet speeds.
I think John K7VE was referring to running 1200/9600 at the same
time. Technically you can do that but there is a problem with PTT for
each of the channels. I hope John weighs in on this.

As far as switching between 1200 & 9600 baud, I demonstrated that at the
'Summer Gathering' digital conference. You can look at the script used
to toggle between the 2 baud rates here:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/debug/speed_switch.sh

Also look in these 2 files for changes to ax25parms & kissparms
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/systemd/ax25/ax25-upd
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/systemd/ax25/ax25dev-parms

Changes in parameters are conditional on existence of a file:
/etc/ax25/packet_9600baud

speed_switch.sh will be supported in the nwdr15.img

[...]

If you mean split channels for packet & HF using both channels of an
audio sound card ie. draws then:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/split-channels

or there is good split channel support in the up coming nwdr15.img
release:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/splitchan

You are right the Wiki entry for:
Creating Virtual Sound Cards for the UDRC or DRAWS
does not work.
/Basil

Cowan Bowman <cowan@...> writes:

Are you meaning the virtual sound card under projects on the wiki? It doesn't seem to exist any longer and I am attempting to setup PulseAudio.

Cowan Bowman

Are you meaning the virtual sound card under projects on the wiki?  It doesn't seem to exist any longer and I am attempting to setup PulseAudio.

Thanks,
Cowan

Multiple instances of the audio on a physical device is accomplished using PulseAudio. See the wiki.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, 20:11 Stuart Longland VK4MSL <stuartl@...> wrote:
On 15/10/19 8:56 am, Bill Vodall wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:21 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
>>
>> JP,
>>
>> If you are asking about running 1200/9600 in parallel on the same radio port.  This only partially works at the current time.  It receives just fine and can transmit on one rate or the other.  The gating factor is activating PTT from direwolf.  The current version of direwolf allow only one channel to access a given GPIO PTT in configuration.  The configuration runs two virtual sound device on a single audio channel.
>
> How about running two instances of Direwolf?

You might run afoul of one instance of Direwolf opening the ALSA device
for the sound card and locking out the second instance unless you do
some trickery in the ALSA configuration files to present the UDRC/DRAWS
as two separate audio interfaces.

This is doable of course, just may require a bit of research.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Stuart Longland VK4MSL

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:21 AM John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> wrote:

[...]

If you simply want to switch between the two, look at Basil's script.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 12:19 AM J P Watters via Groups.Io <kc9kko=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
John,

I saw that you referenced that you were able to run 9600 and or 1200 on a single radio interface.

Can you refer us to the code, configuration that allows for on the fly switchng between Direwolf 9600/1200 baud packet speeds.

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO

Kingston, WA

J P,
I'm currently traveling with limited Internet access. Look for a script in
n7nix/debug/speed_switch.com. Will be more helpful when I return in about a week. /basil

On October 14, 2019 12:19:57 AM PDT, "J P Watters via Groups.Io" <kc9kko@...> wrote:
John,

I saw that you referenced that you were able to run 9600 and or 1200 on a single radio interface.

Can you refer us to the code, configuration that allows for on the fly switchng between Direwolf 9600/1200 baud packet speeds.

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO

J P Watters <kc9kko@...>

John,