Topics

Incompatibility between #fldigi and #direwolf ? #direwolf #fldigi

Bernard Pidoux

Hi,
Having installed recently last available NorthWest digital radio image nw14dr.img I got an excellent Linux system on a RaspBerry Pi 4.
Just after booting fresh new system I checked different applications and found they where working although I did not go further into complete configurations.
Fldigi, Xastir, Yaac could start correctly.
I entered n7nix directory and updated n7nix scripts using 'git pull' command.
Then I decided to install Direwolf using n7nix script ~config/core-install.sh
After all was done without any error, I found that fldigi could not start anymore.
There is a message about libjpeg.so.9 file missing and Linux system says that this library is not used anymore.
So I am asking the question about direwolf and fldigi compatibility ?
Bernard, f6bvp

Basil Gunn

Having installed recently last available NorthWest digital radio image
nw14dr.img I got an excellent Linux system on a RaspBerry Pi 4.
Great to hear Bernard.

Just after booting fresh new system I checked different applications
and found they where working although I did not go further into
complete configurations. Fldigi, Xastir, Yaac could start correctly.
I entered n7nix directory and updated n7nix scripts using 'git pull'
command.
Yes, that's a good thing to do.

Then I decided to install Direwolf using n7nix script ~config/core-install.sh
After all was done without any error, I found that fldigi could not
start anymore.
direwolf and many other programs (see list here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md)
come pre-installed on the nwdr14.img. Running the install scripts on
this image is not necessary and most likely will break things.

You can see a log of what is already installed here:
cat /var/log/udr_install.log

Currently you can switch between vhf/uhf packet & HF programs by
starting & stopping ax25 which also starts & stops direwolf and a number
of other daemons used by packet. ie mheardd

cd ~/bin
# Become root
sudo su
./ax25-start
# or
./ax25-stop

See the "Getting Started Guide"
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

There is a message about libjpeg.so.9 file missing and Linux system
says that this library is not used anymore.
libjpeg.so.9 is used by one of the hf programs probably fldigi. It gets
installed with the .n7nix/hfprogs/hf_install.sh script and lives in this
directory: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libjpeg.so.9

If you see a message that libjpeg.so.9 is missing then:

sudo apt-get install libjpeg9-dev

So I am asking the question about direwolf and fldigi compatibility ?
I am currently using both direwolf & fldigi at the same time and it
works well using the split-channels instructions. I have a script that
installs split-channels but it needs some work.

You should understand that direwolf & the HF programs like to "own" the
sound card device and usually can only be run separately from one
anther. The split-channels instructions
(https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/split-channels) creates a virtual
sound card device using pulse audio for each of these different modem
programs to bind to.

/Basil n7nix

Bernard Pidoux

Hi Basil,

I appreciate your precisions concerning DRAWS use with nwdr14 distro.

However there is a complete discrepancy between what you suggest and what is explained in the

"Getting Started Guide"
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

In the above guide is written to execute script _appconfig.sh core in Initial Configuration.
On the contrary you wrote

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md)
come pre-installed on the nwdr14.img. Running the install scripts on
this image is not necessary and most likely will break things.

You can see a log of what is already installed here:
cat /var/log/udr_install.log
However, direwolf is not installed in nwdr14 image.
Currently you can switch between vhf/uhf packet & HF programs by
starting & stopping ax25 which also starts & stops direwolf and a number
of other daemons used by packet. ie mheardd

cd ~/bin
# Become root
sudo su
./ax25-start
# or
./ax25-stop
Immediately after first initial distro configuration ax25-status shows that AX.25 pplications are not RUNNING and NOT ENABLED.

Executing ./ax25-start fails with error code due to direwolf port not found.  There are a few reasons for this. First /etc/direwolf.conf  is not configured for DRAWS device is commented together with PTT GPIO is not set to 12 (default left DRAWS plug).

#ADEVICE plughw:1,0

#MYCALL N0NONE

#PTT GPIO 25

If /etc/direwolf.conf is configured for DRAWS before running ./ax25-start things go much better.

In order to check if AX.25 is now correctly set up I started YAAC application and listening to APRS frequency.

No stations could be decoded.

I had to execute setalsa-udrc-din6.sh script.

At this step, to be able to get a functioning APRS application I found it is abolutely necessary to switch Raspberry Pi power OFF and ON to reboot. Otherwise, direwolf is not getting DRAWS audio.

After these mandatory successive procedures, measure-deviate script was found to be working correctly and beacon application could also be activated.

I will continue further in order to find the correct order of scripts execution steps toward ax0 and ax1 configurations for other AX.25 applications.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Basil Gunn

However there is a complete discrepancy between what you suggest and
what is explained in the

"Getting Started Guide"
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

In the above guide is written to execute script app_config.sh core in Initial Configuration.
On the contrary you wrote

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md)
come pre-installed on the nwdr14.img. Running the install scripts on
this image is not necessary and most likely will break things.
The nwdr14.img comes with installed software. You must do the initial
configuration. app_config.sh is a configuration script not an
installation script. Do not run the install scripts over the
pre-installation on the image.

You can see a log of what is already installed here:
cat /var/log/udr_install.log
However, direwolf is not installed in nwdr14 image.
Direwolf is part of the core install and is on the nwdr14.img.
From log file:
2019 09 19 11:03:22 PDT: core_install.sh: core install script FINISHED
Run sudo ax25-start to enable it as specified in the 'Getting Started Guide'

direwolf -v 2>/dev/null | grep -m 1 -i version
Dire Wolf DEVELOPMENT version 1.6 C (Sep 19 2019)

Immediately after first initial distro configuration ax25-status shows
that AX.25 pplications are not RUNNING and NOT ENABLED.
Yes, by design. The image will run HF programs by default unless you
run ax25-start.

Executing ./ax25-start fails with error code due to direwolf port not
found. There are a few reasons for this. First /etc/direwolf.conf is
not configured for DRAWS device is commented together with PTT GPIO is
not set to 12 (default left DRAWS plug).
Because you haven't run ./app_config.sh core
See 'Getting Started Guide'

In order to check if AX.25 is now correctly set up I started YAAC
application and listening to APRS frequency.

No stations could be decoded.

I had to execute setalsa-udrc-din6.sh script.
See 'Getting Started Guide'
* You must set your ALSA configuration for your particular radio at this time

At this step, to be able to get a functioning APRS application I found
it is abolutely necessary to switch Raspberry Pi power OFF and ON to
reboot. Otherwise, direwolf is not getting DRAWS audio.
ax25-stop followed by ax25-start will also work.

After these mandatory successive procedures, measure-deviate script was
found to be working correctly and beacon application could also be
activated.
The udrc port assignments are defaulting to a udrc II. You can fix that
by running the chk_port.sh script. The latest config scripts should do a
better job of setting the udr ports. ie when starting from a fresh image
always do a 'cd n7nix ; git pull' first. For the DRAWS hat the default
is to set the left mDin6 connector as udr0 for packet (winlink)
connections. You can change the config files to use the right mDin6
connector by running chk_ports.sh -n 1 -e

~/n7nix/bin $ ./chk_ports.sh -h
Usage: chk_ports.sh [-d][-e][-h]
Displays or edits: axports, ax25d.conf, channels.xml, wl2k.conf
No command line args, will display port names in above files.
-d set debug flag
-e set edit files flag
-n 0 or 1 set winlink device number, only used with -e option.
-p print files with port names.
-h no arg, display this message

pi@checkcfg:~/n7nix/bin $ ./chk_ports.sh
== AX.25 network ports check
Device ax0 OK, and up
Device ax1 OK, and up

== file: /usr/local/etc/ax25/axports check
axport: found device: udr0, with call sign N7NIX-10
axport: found device: udr1, with call sign N7NIX-1

== file: /usr/local/etc/ax25/ax25d.conf check
ax25d: found device: udr0, with call sign N7NIX-10
ax25d: found device: udr0, with call sign N7NIX

== file: /etc/rmsgw/channels.xml check
RMS gateway: chan_name: udr0, call sign: N7NIX-10

== file: /usr/local/etc/wl2k.conf check
plu: ax25port: udr0, call sign: N7NIX

/Basil

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Hi Basil,

Once again I thank you very much for your invaluable help for progressing into RaspBerry Pi and DRAWS usage with AX.25.

Reading doc files is quite easy but it does not preclude some missinterpretations by me as you have noticed.

I want to achieve a complete set up of an FPAC NODE using DRAWS based on nwdr image that should simplify considerably the configuration with your scripts help. However I am not yet finished !

I still  need ax25ipd configuration for AX25<-->UDP encapsulation of ROSE/FPAC and LinFBB frames toward Internet. I guess this should be added into ax25-start or built into a kind of ax25ipd-start. Then I will need something like uronode conf and install for FPAC node utilities.

Meanwhile I found an error when trying to use measure deviation script.  The first case of failure is when direwolf is started and prevents using sound device as you noticed. You already wrote instructions in order to remove direwolf with stop AX.25. The second cause of failure is when user is sudo and your scripts fails finding /home/root/bin/ax25-stop script for $USER= root

I suggest you could add the following lines borrowed from other scripts from you.

These lines should be just before the USER check paragraph where ax25-stop is called.

# Don't be root
if [[ $EUID == 0 ]] ; then
   echo "Don't be root"
   exit 1
fi

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 11/12/2019 à 21:49, Basil Gunn a écrit :
[...]

From log file:
[...]

You are welcome & thanks for all your feedback.

Reading doc files is quite easy but it does not preclude some
missinterpretations by me as you have noticed.
Documentation is not my forte.

I want to achieve a complete set up of an FPAC NODE using DRAWS based on
nwdr image that should simplify considerably the configuration with your
scripts help. However I am not yet finished !
Sounds cool. Let me know how it goes.

I still need ax25ipd configuration for AX25<-->UDP encapsulation of
ROSE/FPAC and LinFBB frames toward Internet. I guess this should be
added into ax25-start or built into a kind of ax25ipd-start. Then I will
need something like uronode conf and install for FPAC node utilities.
Look forward to seeing your result!

Meanwhile I found an error when trying to use measure deviation script.
The first case of failure is when direwolf is started and prevents using
sound device as you noticed. You already wrote instructions in order to
remove direwolf with stop AX.25.
The measure_deviate.sh script checks if direwolf is running & if it is
runs the ax25-stop script which should free up the audio device.

The second cause of failure is when
user is sudo and your scripts fails finding /home/root/bin/ax25-stop
script for $USER= root
Yes that is a bug, thanks!
To fix I made measure_deviate.sh, ax25-start & ax25-stop root agnostic

Changes for fix are checked into n7nix repo.

6025db1ab55b997d935fc31c75d7fd4b266988de Make running script root agnostic.
M deviation/README.md
M deviation/measure_deviate.sh
00dc61dcb2b4084288735c970c0cba7cd72412a6 Make consistent with ax25-start, root agnostic.
M systemd/bin/ax25-stop

To take advantage of these changes:
cd
cd n7nix
git pull
cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

Thanks again Bernard,
/Basil n7nix

I had the same issue with the Pi 3 b+
 I went to a couple places looking for help and no one had heard of issue, so I gave up reinstalled the image on sd card and started over, in the meantime I have not got direwolf to work as a result!
Sincerely,
 Mr. Chris A. Robinson
 KF6NFW / WQOQ661

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 7:45 AM Bernard Pidoux <bernard.f6bvp@...> wrote:
Hi,
Having installed recently last available NorthWest digital radio image nw14dr.img I got an excellent Linux system on a RaspBerry Pi 4.
Just after booting fresh new system I checked different applications and found they where working although I did not go further into complete configurations.
Fldigi, Xastir, Yaac could start correctly.
I entered n7nix directory and updated n7nix scripts using 'git pull' command.
Then I decided to install Direwolf using n7nix script ~config/core-install.sh
After all was done without any error, I found that fldigi could not start anymore.
There is a message about libjpeg.so.9 file missing and Linux system says that this library is not used anymore.
So I am asking the question about direwolf and fldigi compatibility ?
Bernard, f6bvp

Basil Gunn

The libjpeg.so.9 requirement issue for fldigi was fixed in the
installation scripts some time ago.

If you give me something to work with, like the console output of
showudrc.sh, I may be able to help you with your direwolf problem.
If fldigi does not start, then run it from a console and send me the
output.

/Basil

wrote:

[...]

I have another suggestion for your scripts if you agree.
One of my experimental Rose/FPAC nodes is only Internet connected, no radio port for the moment although equipped with an UDRCII modem HAT.
Apart from FPAC it is running spider DX spots and BBS working through ax25ipd encapsulation.
To achieve this, I set up AX25 port axudp in /etc/ax25/axports.
However, axudp port is not checked nor recognized in chk_ports.sh script.
I agree that I did not use your configuration scripts and this may explain what is above and I apologize if I missed something.
By the way, do you already have a configuration script to start up such AX25<—> IP/UDP encapsulation device ?

73 de Bernard, F6BVP