Topics

AX25 over UDP is not working on #nw14

f6bvp

With NorthWestDigital radio Debian image nw14, AX25 over UDP is not working.

Although configuration is correct  there is no frames transmitted nor received via the axudp interface.

After reinstalling AX.25 libraries and AX.25 apps and utilities everything’s goes well.

Thus I want to encourage the NWDigital radio team to update the AX.25 stuff that may be wrongly installed or outdated.

Notice : I am using VE7FET repository.

https://github.com/ve7fet/linuxax25/archive/master.zip

Bernard,
f6bvp

Basil Gunn

Thus I want to encourage the NWDigital radio team to update the AX.25 stuff that may be wrongly installed or outdated.
Notice : I am using VE7FET repository.
Thanks Bernard. Will do.
That is the repository I use as well.
/Basil n7nix

Bernard Pidoux

Hi Basil,

If you need a beta tester in order to check AX.25 for nwdr15.img image, I volunteer to help.

Bernard, f6bvp

Le 29/12/2019 à 18:12, Basil Gunn a écrit :
Thus I want to encourage the NWDigital radio team to update the AX.25 stuff that may be wrongly installed or outdated.
Notice : I am using VE7FET repository.
Thanks Bernard. Will do.
That is the repository I use as well.

If you need a beta tester in order to check AX.25 for nwdr15.img image,
I volunteer to help.
Thanks Bernard. The three lib/apps/tools packages are finished & I am
working on an AX.25 lib/apps/tools updater which should be ready
tomorrow sometime. I'll refresh the image after that. /Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn

Bernard,

I've checked in a script, ax_verchk.sh, that works similarly to how the
hf_verchk.sh script works for updating HF programs.

The ax_verchk.sh script checks the version numbers for ax25
lib/apps/tools in Lee Woldanski's ve7fet github repo and compares them
to Debian packages I built that live in the n7nix repo. After verifying
that the n7nix packages are current it then checks the installed
versions of these packages to determine if a new package install is
required.

# Display help info

~/n7nix/ax25 $ ./ax_verchk.sh -h
Usage: [-u][-h]
No arguments displays current & installed versions.
-u Set application update flag. Intall packages
-h display this message.

# Display version numbers from ve7fet repo, n7nix repo &
# currently installed packages

~/n7nix/ax25 $ ./ax_verchk.sh
fet repo: lib: 1.1.3, app: 2.0.1, tool: 1.0.5
nix repo: lib: 1.1.3, app: 2.0.1, tool: 1.0.5
install: lib: 1.1.3, app: 2.0.1, tool: 1.0.5
AX.25 packages are up-to-date.

# Do an AX.25 lib/apps/tools update

~/n7nix/ax25 $ ./ax_verchk.sh -u
Update AX.25 packages after checking version numbers.

fet repo: lib: 1.1.3, app: 2.0.1, tool: 1.0.5
nix repo: lib: 1.1.3, app: 2.0.1, tool: 1.0.5
install: lib: 1.1.3, app: 2.0.1, tool: 1.0.5
AX.25 packages are up-to-date.

# First refresh your local copy of the n7nix repo
cd
cd n7nix
git pull

# Now run the ax_verchk.sh script
cd ax25
./ax_verchk.sh

/Basil n7nix

Bernard Pidoux <bernard.f6bvp@...> writes:

If you need a beta tester in order to check AX.25 for nwdr15.img image,
I volunteer to help.

Bernard, f6bvp

Le 29/12/2019 à 18:12, Basil Gunn a écrit:
Thus I want to encourage the NWDigital radio team to update the AX.25 stuff that may be wrongly installed or outdated.
Notice : I am using VE7FET repository.
Thanks Bernard. Will do.
That is the repository I use as well.

WARNING installing new AX.25 packages will over write all config files in
/usr/local/etc/ax25 directory. To be safe back-up all the .conf files in
that directory before running.
/Basil n7nix

[...]

I installed nwdr15.img and found that AX.25 was running very well using your scripts ax25-start / ax25-stop.
In order to complete my system configuration I added a script creating an axudp device for using AX25 over IP/UDP via Internet
or via HAMNET (a high speed Ham data network using WiFi used in Germany and France).
I called the attached script ax25ipd-start.sh. It must be used after ax25-start.

In order to work, the configuration needs /etc/ax25/ax25ipd.conf file.
I found that the distributed one is fine, thus I just made a copy of ax25ipd.conf.dist to ax25ipd.conf in the same directory.
There must also be an axudp port declared in /etc/ax25/axports file. For this port I set speed to 115200 and paclen to 253.
This axudp port may be used by AX.25 applications such as Node, FPAC, BBS linFBB.
listen -chat will display all AX.25 network trafic including udr0, udr1 and axudp.

Bernard, f6bvp
http://f6bvp.org

Basil Gunn

I installed nwdr15.img and found that AX.25 was running very well
using your scripts ax25-start / ax25-stop.
OK great to hear. Just an FYI, the final nwdr15.img file is not ready
yet.

In order to complete my system configuration I added a script creating
an axudp device for using AX25 over IP/UDP via Internet or via HAMNET
(a high speed Ham data network using WiFi used in Germany and France).
I called the attached script ax25ipd-start.sh. It must be used after
ax25-start.
OK, I made some changes to that script so the temporary output files
don't collide with the previously run mkiss command. Please let me know
if the ax25ipd-start.sh script I checked in works for you. Also in order
for the export command in this script to work you need to run it like
this:

source ./ax25ipd-start.sh
or
. ./ax25ipd-start.sh

# Test like this:
printenv | grep -i axupd
and
echo $AXUDP

ax25ipd-start.sh is in my repository here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/ax25/ax25ipd-start.sh

In order to work, the configuration needs /etc/ax25/ax25ipd.conf file.
I found that the distributed one is fine, thus I just made a copy of
ax25ipd.conf.dist to ax25ipd.conf in the same directory. There must
also be an axudp port declared in /etc/ax25/axports file. For this
port I set speed to 115200 and paclen to 253. This axudp port may be
used by AX.25 applications such as Node, FPAC, BBS linFBB.

listen -chat
will display all AX.25 network trafic including udr0, udr1 and
axudp.
Note that the command line argument '-t' for listen: 2.0.1 has changed from
previous versions. The latest version of listen defaults to printing a
timestamp where as specifying the -t arg turns it off.

-t Don't print a timestamp on each dump line.

Bernard, f6bvp

f6bvp

Hi Basil,

I tried your improved script and found that it stopped in the middle at line with tail -1.
I had to changed it in order to make the script run.
Please find attached diff file.

BTW many thanks for letting me know about option -t that changed. It did not notice that !

73 de Bernard

Basil Gunn

Hi Bernard,

I made your change suggestions and started from a default config to see
where the script would fail. I found that ax25ipd could fail but still
end up with a pid. I've added return value checks for both ax25ipd &
kissattach.
I'm not sure what program uses the AXUDP environment variable that
contains the pseudo term name.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/ax25/ax25ipd-start.sh

Thanks Bernard.
/Basil