DRAWS and HF RMS GAteway possible ?

Roland <roland@...>

Just getting started with my Winlink HF Gateway project. Can I use DRAWS Hat and a PI to run a HF RMS Gateway incl. VARA ,Winmor etc. ?
I believe the included Linux RMS Gateway is just for VHF/UHF AX.25 ....right ?

Thanks
Roland

Basil Gunn

Can I use DRAWS Hat and a PI to run a *HF RMS Gateway* incl. VARA
,Winmor etc. ?
VARA & Winmor are closed source Windows only programs so will not run
on an ARM based RPi processor.

I believe the included Linux RMS Gateway is just for VHF/UHF AX.25 ....right ?
Linux RMS Gateway is open sourced AX.25 packet gateway.
I've been working on an ARDOP transport for paclink-unix or you could
run PAT or linBPQ32 to get ARDOP functionality.

/Basil n7nix

Ryan Matthew Headley

You can absolutely make this work with ardop and linBPQ if you are comfortable working outside or beyond the supported DRAWS image.  ardop is not open source, but it is free and can run on virtually any OS.  If you check the Winlink nodes, you will see that it is already quite popular.  With more people looking to run Winlink on something like the Pi as opposed to a clunky Windows computer, I only image that its footprint will grow.

As to how all of this applies to the DRAWS hat, it depends upon what your total desired use is.  The DRAWS will work extremely well as a soundcard for a Winlink HF node--and also provide you with GPS and a 12v power input.  In this particular application, think of it as replacing something like a Signalink, but with more features.

Roland <roland@...>

So it seems the easier way would be to go the Windows route and install Trimode.

Roland <roland@...>

Going the Windows route for now.

Ryan Matthew Headley

It depends upon your goals.  A Windows machine is many times more expensive, and the power requirements are many times greater.  You also cannot leave a Windows machine running for months on end with no interaction and expect it to behave properly.

I should also mention that linBPQ running on a Raspberry Pi could access the ardop modem locally, and access Winmore and VARA modems hosted on a Windows machine on your local network.  That way if the Windows machine went down or you were unable to run it due to power requirements, your could still keep the ardop gateway up and running.

Bob NW8L

>ardop is not open source, but it is free and can run on virtually any OS.

Actually, ardop *is* open source. For Windows:

https://ardop.groups.io/g/developers/files/ARDOP_Win%20VBSource%20Rev1.0.4.zip

For Linux inc. Raspbian:

http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/Beta/TeensyProjects.zip

This includes ARDOPC and ARDOP2 source. I build ardopc here from source for my 64-bit Linux machines.

73,
Bob NW8L

Ryan Matthew Headley

Thank you for the information.  I have only ever encountered an executable package.

Roland <roland@...>

I want to build an easy solution for VARA.WINMOR and ARDOP.
Only one PC and one TRX. Therefore I am going with a windows based mini PC for less than 200USD.  Power consumption is max. 6W not an issue at all.
Then I am going to install either RMS Trimode or BPQ32.  Thats the plan so far.

Basil Gunn

Thank you Bob NW8L for posting on the udrc forum!

Bob is the author of ARIM, Amateur Radio Instant Messaging,
(https://www.whitemesa.net/arim/arim.html) which works with ardop
(ie. piardopc & piardop2 on the RPi) ... and is a very nice piece of
work.

For me, at least, Bob NW8L & John G8BPQ are hero's of digital HAM radio
because they make their source code available!!

ardopc on github
https://github.com/DigitalHERMES/ardopc

Directory of John G8BPQ's downloads
http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/

ARIM source code tarball
https://www.whitemesa.net/arim/src/arim-2.8.tar.gz

I suppose I'm a hero want-to-be because most code I have written in the
last decade is in a public repository ie. the source code is available.

With regards to Windows you can use an RPi & a DRAWS card by specifying
on your Windows machine either AGWPE or TCP/IP KISS to access the RPi
running direwolf. See the excellent Direwolf User Guide, thank you John
WB2OSZ.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wb2osz/direwolf/master/doc/User-Guide.pdf

You could also use the RPi & draws card as an ARDOP TNC & access it from
your windows machine with an IP address & socket port number.

As far as Windows goes I do not use it much (but I do use it). It's just
not that much fun to use. In terms of dollars/fun ratio you can not beat
a Raspberry Pi. I do not have a requirement of running Winlink Winmor
or Vara but I do have a requirement of running HAM digital mode
infrastructure that runs 24/7 on 12V. Easy and inexpensive to do with an
RPi & DRAWS HAT harder & more expensive to do with a Windows machine.

Anyway HAM radio is a hobby you should have fun playing with it and
Happy New Year to all the HAMS that read this forum.

73
/Basil n7nix