Topics

Problems with Winlink handshaking on VHF and no power to transmitter on HF

Dave Christensen

Two problems:
with ax25 started I do a wl2kax25 - k2wvc-10  (a gateway on 2 met4ers).  It connects but hangs after a Challenge is received.  Eventually it times out with jibberish and disconnects
Console output follows:
pi@kd7um-t2:~ $ wl2kax25 -c k2wvc-10
Connected to AX.25 stack
Child process
wl2kax25: ---
wl2kax25: <Trying ec2-52-72-230-141.compute-1.amazonaws.com
wl2kax25: <*** KD7UM Connected to CMS
wl2kax25: <[WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$]
wl2kax25: sid [WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$] inboundsidcodes -B2FWIHJM$
wl2kax25: <;PQ: 35237853
wl2kax25: Challenge received: 35237853
Timed out, exiting wl2kax25!
   $ v(
        vGf    9 ~  v i vG   v $ v 9 ~ 9 ~#u  9 ~   v  vf    }    v i v 9 ~pI vEOF on child fd, terminating communications loop.
Closing ax25 connection
Child exit status: 1
Waiting for AX25 peer ... timeout
pi@kd7um-t2:~ $
THE SECOND PROBLEM AS TO DO WITH NO HF AUDIO (AX25 STOPPED) on FLdigi, JS8Call, etc.
I can key the rig using FLdigi directed by the apps but I am not generating any power.  I ran measure_deviate.sh and it keys the rig AND gives me 30 Watts out which is what I expect.  I am using the Left audio jack for both packet and HF - at lease that is what the radio is connected to (IC-7000).
The "Power" control in both apps is at the maximum. Below is a screen shot of WSJTX configs:

pi@kd7um-t2:~/bin $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@kd7um-t2:~/bin $

also touching any config parameter cause WSJTX to blow up and quit.  I am running WSJTX Version 2.1.0

What am I missing?  The apps both are hearing stations and they show up in the app display so hearing works and talking (on HF) doesn't
Thanks

Basil Gunn

Two problems:
with ax25 started I do a wl2kax25 - k2wvc-10 (a gateway on 2
met4ers). It connects but hangs after a Challenge is
received. Eventually it times out with jibberish and disconnects
Check /usr/local/etc/wl2k.conf
wl2k-password=
The winlink password you are using is invalid.

THE SECOND PROBLEM AS TO DO WITH NO HF AUDIO (AX25 STOPPED) on FLdigi,
JS8Call, etc. I can key the rig using FLdigi directed by the apps but
I am not generating any power. I ran measure_deviate.sh and it keys
the rig AND gives me 30 Watts out which is what I expect. I am using
the Left audio jack for both packet and HF - at lease that is what the
radio is connected to (IC-7000).
For FLDigi read this:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-fldigi-Setup-Page#Startup-and-set-levels-in-fldigi

The "Power" control in both apps is at the maximum. Below is a screen shot of WSJTX configs:

pi@kd7um-t2:~/bin $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@kd7um-t2:~/bin $

also touching any config parameter cause WSJTX to blow up and quit. I
am running WSJTX Version 2.1.0
Try running the latest version: 2.1.2

What am I missing? The apps both are hearing stations and they show up
in the app display so hearing works and talking (on HF) doesn't Thanks

Dave Christensen

I had the correct Winlink password as I connected via telnet OK.  I tried the same gateway that failed yesterday and it worked.  I suspect that gateway could not validate my password.  So, check that one off the list.

Regarding getting FLdigi and WSJT-X to transmit with audio - not working and in fact when I have FLdigi and FLrig and Draws Manager running my system hangs up rock solid and I have to power off to get things running again.  I think I am going to put DRAWS on pause, perhaps wait until version 15 is available of start from scratch with Version 14.

The radio was keying up (Using FLrig for PTT) but no audio - and in fact it was picking up audio from the microphone rather than the data jack from Draw to rig.  Something has to be right because I can run wl2k and connect to a gateway using the same radio I am using for FLDigi.  I did stop ax25 between the WL2K-VHF and trying FLDigi.

Thanks for your help.  I can't imagine the load you are carrying trying to improve the software surrounding DRAWS and answering questions from dummies like me.  I haven't given up, I just need to give it a break.  I have another Pi/Signalink setup that is working beautifully.  I know it can be done with Draws.  Happy New Year

Basil Gunn

Hi Dave,
Sorry for the lag.

I had the correct Winlink password as I connected via telnet OK. I
tried the same gateway that failed yesterday and it worked. I suspect
that gateway could not validate my password. So, check that one off
the list.
Call sign of the gateway?

Regarding getting FLdigi and WSJT-X to transmit with audio - not
working and in fact when I have FLdigi and FLrig and Draws Manager
running my system hangs up rock solid and I have to power off to get
things running again. I think I am going to put DRAWS on pause,
perhaps wait until version 15 is available of start from scratch with
Version 14.
If you get a chance show me the output of:

free -m

When your system hangs, assuming you are running with a video monitor,
try ssh'ing into your system and running the above command.
Also keep cables plugged into your RPi away from your radio
antenna. ie. make sure the cables plugged into the DRAWS hat are not
laying on top of your feed line coax.

The radio was keying up (Using FLrig for PTT) but no audio - and in
fact it was picking up audio from the microphone rather than the data
jack from Draw to rig. Something has to be right because I can run
wl2k and connect to a gateway using the same radio I am using for
FLDigi. I did stop ax25 between the WL2K-VHF and trying FLDigi.

Thanks for your help. I can't imagine the load you are carrying trying
to improve the software surrounding DRAWS and answering questions from
dummies like me.
I haven't given up, I just need to give it a break.
OK. You have some things working and I'm pretty confident we can solve the
HF program config issues whenever you come back to it.

I have another Pi/Signalink setup that is working beautifully. I know
it can be done with Draws. Happy New Year
Thanks Dave!
/Basil n7nix

Dave Christensen

OK.  I have refreshed my system with the V15 image and am back to the same problem on HF as stated before (no pwer out or rig key on FLDigi, WSJTX, JS8Call, etc.).  Here is what I reassembled and making an assumption of what commands you would want to see:

------------------------------

After installation of image V15

1/24/2020

YAAC works OK.  Sends a receives packets.

Tried wl2kax25 connection.  It failed due to config issues:

pi@DRAWS:/usr/local/etc $ wl2kax25 -c k2wvc-10

wl2kax25: Need to specify ax25 port

wl2kax25: WARNING: gridsquare not specified in config file

Usage:  wl2kax25 -c target-call [options]

  -c  --target-call   Set callsign to call

  -a  --ax25port      Set AX25 port to use

  -P  --wl2k-passwd   Set password for WL2K secure login

  -t  --timeout       Set timeout in seconds

  -e  --email-address Set your e-mail address

  -s  --send-only     Send messages only

  -V  --verbose       Print verbose messages

  -v  --version       Display program version only

  -C  --configuration Display configuration only

  -h  --help          Display this usage info

pi@DRAWS:/usr/local/etc $

This paclink config was not called out as something that needed changing in the Wiki for installation.

I had to edit /usr/local/etc/wl2k.conf and add my callsign, gridsquare, axport ID, and WL2K password before it would work.  Should this be in the Wiki for post install?

Did Claws go away or is it separately installed to work with paclink?  It has been too long since I gave up on V14 and set it aside.  Mutt is in the image.

My V15 system works ok on VHF/Direwolf as verified by YAAC receiving packets and sending a beacon copied by aprs.fi.  I can also monitor the packet traffic with tail –f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log  and listen –at.

I can send a beacon with: btest.sh –P udr0 successfully

NOW an unsolved mystery.  With the same IC-7000 and ax25 stopped via the AX.25-control script I can’t get WSJTX, Fldigi, JS8Call to key the transmitter and send audio.  Running n7nix/deviation/measure_deviate.sh –c left keys the radio and I get power out (modulated rig input).  Issuing the measure_deviate –c left –l 5 doesn’t key the transmitter for 5 seconds – it just keeps going for the full 30 seconds.  So this utility can key the transmitter with audio input to the transmitter.

When I try JS8Call, WSJTX, FLDigi the transmitter is not keyed or audio sent to the Mic in.  I am using FLRig for the radio interface BUT PTT is turned off in FLRig (no CAT/RST/DTR etc).  FLRig is talking to the radio OK (reading VFO/Mode)

For JS8Call the settings are:  Radio Rig-FLRig FLRig, PTT VOX, Mode USB, Split none.  Audio input is plughw:CARD=idrc,DEV=0 and output the same.  The software reads data from the radio just fine and decodes OK.  Pressing the Tune button gives indication from the software of transmitting (Red Tune button and TX button red) but the radio isn’t keyed or transmitting.

Similar things are happening with FLDigi (receives/decodes OK but no transmission).  It is setup as rig control by FLRig and FLRig not keying the modem.  Soundcard devices has PortAudio selected with Capture:  udrc:bcm2935-i2s-tlv320aic32x4 hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 (hw: 1,0)  as the only option to choose from and Playback the same only there are 4 options here (alsa0,1   alsa 0,2   dmix).  Hitting the Tune button on FLDigi gives the indication from the software that it is tuning or transmitting text (in the waterfall) but the rig doesn’t key or transmit.

Here are some captures of various commands:

aplay –l of my system:

pi@DRAWS:~ $ aplay -l

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]

  Subdevices: 7/7

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4

  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5

  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]

  Subdevices: 0/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pi@DRAWS:~ $

arecord –l of my system:

pi@DRAWS:~ $ arecord -l

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****

card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]

  Subdevices: 0/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pi@DRAWS:~ $

alsa-show:

pi@DRAWS:~/n7nix/deviation $ alsa-show.sh

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====

LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB]           R:[-6.00dB]

PCM              L:[-22.50dB]                R:[-22.50dB]

DAC Playback PT               L:[P3]                    R:[P3]

LO Playback CM                [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====

ADC Level            L:[-2.00dB]          R:[-2.00dB]

IN1                         L:[10 kOhm]       R:[10 kOhm]

IN2                         L:[Off]                   R:[Off]

CM                         L:[10 kOhm]       R:[10 kOhm]

pi@DRAWS:~/n7nix/deviation $

I did a set-alsa-ic7000.sh and it changed values but didn’t fix anything.  What am I missing?

Basil Gunn

OK. I have refreshed my system with the V15 image and am back to the
same problem on HF as stated before (no pwer out or rig key on FLDigi,
WSJTX, JS8Call, etc.).
Pick one program at a time, for FLdigi using a DRAWS hat:

Fldigi configuration ->Rig->GPIO

Select BCM 12 for left mDin6 connector
Select BCM 23 for right mDin6 connector

Read this for reference:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-fldigi-Setup-Page#Set-up-PTT

Here is what I reassembled and making an
assumption of what commands you would want to see:

------------------------------

After installation of image V15

1/24/2020

YAAC works OK. Sends a receives packets.

Tried wl2kax25 connection. It failed due to config issues:

pi@DRAWS:/usr/local/etc $ wl2kax25 -c k2wvc-10

wl2kax25: Need to specify ax25 port
Pick one problem per email. wl2kax25 is a packet app and the answer is you have
not installed paclink-unix. This has nothing to do with your FLdigi
problem.

This paclink config was not called out as something that needed changing in the Wiki for installation.
I had to edit /usr/local/etc/wl2k.conf and add my callsign, gridsquare, axport ID, and WL2K password before it would work. Should this be in the Wiki for post install?
If you want Winlink functionality then you need to install paclink-unix.
app_config.sh plu
That is mentioned in the Getting Started Guide

Did Claws go away or is it separately installed to work with paclink?
It has been too long since I gave up on V14 and set it aside. Mutt is
in the image.
Claws-mail is part of the Winlink solution and is installed when you
install paclink-unix. The symptom you have is paclink-unix is not installed.

My V15 system works ok on VHF/Direwolf as verified by YAAC receiving
packets and sending a beacon copied by aprs.fi. I can also monitor the
packet traffic with tail –f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log and
listen –at.
The listen command line arguments have changed. To get a timestamp do
not specify -t.

[...]

Please read the following to see if that helps with your HF problems
ALSA settings for IC-7000
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md#ALSA-settings-for-IC-7000

Did setting the correct gpio pin in FLdigi rather than using FLrig solve
your problem?
/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

[...]

I did read and apply the settings for the IC-7000.
******************************

I have an Icom IC-7000 radio that I am feeding by the DIN-6 data connector in the back.  I can get the VHF stuff working with default ALSA settings or even the setalsa-ic7000settings for the IC-7000 and it works great.  Clean audio and no retries.

For FLDigi I have to change the ALSA settings from Analog = -3, Digital gain = -16 to 20 to Analog=-2.00 db and Digital = -8.00 db just to get clean audio.  Lower gain settings produces noise - no clean tone with FLDigi Tune turned on.  The signal is so hot that I can not get the ALC below full scale on the meter.   I lower the gain and the noise comes back  One interesting thing is that the sound card available for FLDigi selection is “udrc: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aicx4-hifi-0 (hw 1,0)”

With WSJTX and JS8Call the soundcard is listed as plughw: CARD=udrc, DEV=0  The power setting slider in the apps do nothing.  These apps are opposite from FLDigi in that I can’t get enough drive to the radio using the same ALSA settings to generate any transmit power or even increasing the transmit gain.

So summary:  VHF/Direwolf work OK with default alsa settings.  FLDigi requires a hotter signal to get clean audio (as listened to by another HF rig.  JS8Call and WSJTX have such low drive into the transmitter that you can barely hear the transmitted signal.  I would love to find someone with an IC-7000 and get their settings to try.

Thanks for your continued interest.
Dave

Jack Spitznagel

Dave, Basil, All,

Apologies, I probably should have retitled this message to call out the problem with the IC-7000. I do not want to hi-jack the original thread, but it is worth continuing the HF element of it.

If you look back about a year ago in the archives, you’ll find that I reported exactly these “symptoms” with my IC-7000 using both of my DRAWS boards (one is an “early-early” adopter board, the other is an early adopter board). With both boards, my FT-817 works fine with HF programs. Both a RigBlaster and a SignaLink will drive the IC-7000 without these issues even though the settings are a little touchy because the audio drive level has to be turned way down.

I have copied Dave’s settings below because they agree with my findings. As Dave discovered, tremendous amount noise is introduced as the DRAWS output settings are reduced below about -20 db or so. I never was able to completely overcome the DRAWS HF audio drive level issues on the 7000. As Dave pointed out, fldigi can be forced to work with an ugly signal due to the inability to reduce ALC with the DRAWS board in its “clean” audio output range. And like Dave’s experience, the latest make of wsjt-x generates too low output so transmit does nothing. JS8CALL is a complete non-issue for me, I have no need for it and I have not played with winlink/paclink etc.

Just before I gave up, I tried using a multiturn pot as a simple attenuator and was “sort of” successful transmitting a clean signal with fldigi but never got around to making up a cable that had the right voltage divider built into it. That would not have solved the wsjt-x problem anyway.

Since the FM side works well, the 7000/DRAWS combo has become my 24/7 APRS transceiver – provides a “blackhole” fill-in xastir node service here in north central MD running xastir.  The FT-817/DRAWS combo is part of my “go kit”.

I believe Basil did experiment with his friends IC-7000, but if I recall correctly, only determined that the FM output could be made to work, but I can’t remember if he actually took a crack at the fldigi/wsjt-x over HF problem and was able to duplicate it. That was about the time I forced myself to stop fooling around with the DRAWS board because it was making me increasingly obsessive (like not getting real work done).

It would be great if these problems could be solved!

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

3a.          Re: Problems with Winlink handshaking on VHF and no power to transmitter on HF

From: Dave Christensen

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 03:36:02 UTC

I did read and apply the settings for the IC-7000.

******************************

<snip>

For FLDigi I have to change the ALSA settings from Analog = -3, Digital gain = -16 to 20 to Analog=-2.00 db and Digital = -8.00 db just to get clean audio.  Lower gain settings produces noise - no clean tone with FLDigi Tune turned on.  The signal is so hot that I can not get the ALC below full scale on the meter.   I lower the gain and the noise comes back  One interesting thing is that the sound card available for FLDigi selection is “udrc: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aicx4-hifi-0 (hw 1,0)”

If I can borrow a 7000 I’m sure we can figure out what the issue is. We’ll pay freight both ways of course.

Also, are you connecting via the Data or Accessory Connector?

Anyone have a loaner?
Bryan K7UDR

Steve, N9VW

I have one that is currently sitting waiting for something to do...
Let me know, I can get it out in the morning.

Happy Trails,
Steve, N9VW

On 1/28/2020 2:03 PM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
If I can borrow a 7000 I’m sure we can figure out what the issue is. We’ll pay freight both ways of course.

Also, are you connecting via the Data or Accessory Connector?

Anyone have a loaner?
Bryan K7UDR

Thanks Steve!

I’ve got one local but I’ll keep you as a backup

Bryan

On Jan 28, 2020, at 2:27 PM, Steve, N9VW <steve@...> wrote:

I have one that is currently sitting waiting for something to do...
Let me know, I can get it out in the morning.

Happy Trails,
Steve, N9VW

On 1/28/2020 2:03 PM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
If I can borrow a 7000 I’m sure we can figure out what the issue is. We’ll pay freight both ways of course.

Also, are you connecting via the Data or Accessory Connector?

Anyone have a loaner?
Bryan K7UDR

Corky Searls

Just FYI, indeed Fldigi and the WSJT-X and JS8Call apps have very different sound sensitivities. On my main HF system which is still using a laptop with a SignaLinkUSB to drive a K3 I find I need to significantly change either the audio output levels for the computer, or in my case I change the Mic gain on the K3 (the change is about 10 units).

In talking with others, this appears to be "normal."

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, at 7:36 PM, Dave Christensen wrote:
[...]

You recall incorrectly. Below is the link to email sent after we
successfully set up an IC-7000 for FLdigi Olivia 8-250

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/2523?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,%23ic7000,20,2,0,28894545

Ignore this remark as the udrc/draws driver is now in mainline linux kernel.
"You must use the latest udrc-dkms driver (1.0.5)"

In a previous post it was mentioned that the contents of that email were captured here:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md#alsa-settings-for-ic-7000

/Basil n7nix

Jack Spitznagel

Basil,

Thanks for refreshing my memory with the link below – it had been a good while and my focus has been significantly elsewhere since before Dayton/Xenia last year:

In a previous post it was mentioned that the contents of that email were captured here:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md#alsa-settings-for-ic-7000

Again my very faulty recall was that I did test these settings and found that it still did not allow me to adjust the ALC to the “nil” reading for minimum sig distortion without the noise issue cropping up. OTOH, I am pretty sure I used the discriminator output for receive… but RX was never the issue here. Since I have not tried the new image, I will give it a go and configure from the ground up. If that can be made to work well, then I’ll tackle the 7100 to see if it is different.

Thanks,

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

Dave Christensen

I hooked up my Pi3B+ to a Signalink and ran FLDigi, JS8Call, and Direwolf and measured the audio drive levels on transmit.  They were all within 20 mV of each other so the USB Audio Codec (Signalink) is being handled differently than the DRAWS interface for some reason.  I don't know if this simplifies or complicates this issue.