Topics

Nixtracker

Basil Gunn

Tried to include a photo
Nice!!

/Basil

Tried to include a photo

So very happy and excited with this functionality. Thanks to Basil for picking up Dantracker and running with it.

David, Ke7rgp

Thanks Basil,

That worked perfectly. I know have the Sats window populated properly and everything else seems to be working as well. Makes  nice addition to the system.

Thanks again for all your help!

Rich, KR4PI

Just remember, if gpsd is running and connected to /dev/ttySC0 then you should access it via the gpsd socket.  If you are going direct to /dev/ttysSC0 then gpsd should be stopped.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 3:31 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:
Thank you, that works. One less cable!

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Thank you, that works. One less cable!

Ruben .

I'm a bit late in this discussion, but if you're looking for a quick and sure way to set up a hotspot on a DRAWS image try KM4ACK's youtube video. His scripts do all the work.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMT-0mz1lkI

Basil Gunn

Thanks for trying out nixtracker

I have Nixtracker running on my pi 3b with draws hat installed. I have
two radios connected. UDR0 is attached to a radio on our local packet
freq and runs a Winlink Gateway. UDR1 is connected to a radio on our
local aprs freq.
I am able to see aprs info on the Nixtracker on
another machine.
Great!

However in the Sats window I have Zero sats. the
window reports nodata. gpsd is running on the Pi and has a good
lock.
Link following is the commit for zero sats problem fixed for the DRAWS
gps device about 10 days ago.

https://github.com/n7nix/nixtracker/commit/15ec32a5c05a3e7aa84d5defcae1abe26177c4f5

Below are the instructions for updating the nixtracker source. I will
have a script that does this by the end of the day. Also make sure the
port = line in the [gps] section is commented out in the nixtracker
config file.

The change is in a C file so you will need to get the new file and
rebuild. In the config file /etc/tracker/aprs_tracker.ini make sure
in the [gps] section that 'port =' line is commented out like this:

#port = /dev/ttyUSB0

To get new source file, rebuild & install.

cd
cd dev/nixtracker
git pull
make
cp aprs ~/bin
cd
cd bin
sudo ./tracker-down
sudo cp ~/dev/nixtracker/aprs /usr/local/bin
sudo ./tracker-up

The nixtracker web page should display an 1006 error, you should be able
to refresh the page & have the tracker running again.

/Basil n7nix

I read in this forum that there is something that needs to be
done to make this work but it appears those instructions were taken
offline.

The other question I have is there a way in the MSG tab to select
which port on draws the aprs message goes out?
When an ax.25 app (like nixtracker) starts up it binds to an ax.25
socket which requires a physical port. So there is no easy way to select
a port other than changing the 'port =' parameter in the [ax25] section
in the nixtracker config file & restarting the app.

Jim Erickson

Someone else smarter than me will chime in I’m sure, but for the DRAWS hat, the GPS is located at /dev/ttySC0

I’m not familiar with the Nixtracker, though I am interested.  It looks like your gpsd is correct:

CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
           └─519 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

There must be a config for Nixtracker to point it at GPS?  In which case /dev/ttySC0 is where the GPS is located, at least for the DRAWS hat.

------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

On Feb 6, 2020, at 12:17, Rich KR4PI <rich.schnieders@...> wrote:

In trying to figure out why the gps is not reporting the info to nixtracker I entered
"sudo systemctl status gpsd" and the result I received is:

gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-02-06 15:09:24 EST; 48s ago
  Process: 511 ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd $GPSD_OPTIONS $OPTIONS $DEVICES (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 519 (gpsd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 2200)
   Memory: 1.4M
   CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
           └─519 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

Feb 06 15:09:24 Draws systemd[1]: Starting GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon...
Feb 06 15:09:24 Draws systemd[1]: Started GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.
Feb 06 15:09:26 Draws gpsd[519]: gpsd:ERROR: response: {"class":"ERROR","message":"No such device as /dev/ttyUSB0"}\x0d\x0a

when I try to cat/Dev/tty/USB0 I receive
cat: /Dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich, KR4PI

[...]

Good afternoon all,

I have Nixtracker running on my pi 3b with draws hat installed. I have two radios connected. UDR0 is attached to a radio on our local packet freq and runs a Winlink Gateway. UDR1 is connected to a radio on our local aprs freq. I am able to see aprs info on the Nixtracker on another machine. However in the Sats window I have Zero sats. the window reports nodata. gpsd is running on the Pi and has a good lock. I read in this forum that there is something that needs to be done to make this work but it appears those instructions were taken offline.

The other question I have is there a way in the MSG tab to select which port on draws the aprs message goes out?

Thanks for all the help!

Rich, KR4PI

Basil Gunn

I got it now Basil. Thanks. My ignorance of Linux is shining
through. Every user including the system gets their own crontab. I was
using the system’s crontab.

time to go read about Linux os
I would suggest to learn about Linux have an idea about something that
you want your Linux system to do then google away until you figure it
out.

got all my wires and coax fished in the truck. Install tomorrow!
Terrific!! Send me a pic when it's done.

i notice in the YouTube you pointed me to, there is no debug panel. Do
you toggle that panel on/off or leave it there all the time?
I currently leave it there all the time. I'll have to look into getting
rid of it.

also, one of the rotating beacon messages indicates a digipeating setting?
That's just a filler I think left over from Dan Smith's configuration
from a number of years ago.

You can easily customize your beacons by looking in the
/etc/tracker/aprs_tracker.ini file in the [comments] section
You set up which beacons you want to rotate through then enable them
with the enabled = line
I would change the #4 beacon to something else.
Variables are defined between pairs of $.

enabled = 1,2,3,4
1=Using nixtracker $ver$, gps sats $sats$
2=https://github.com/n7nix/nixtracker
3=Software $ver$
4=Set path to TEMP1-1,WIDE2-1 to digi
5=Test: Number of sats $sats$, version $ver$, date $date$, time $time$, voltage, $voltage$, index $index$, temperature $temp1$, sig qual $digiq$, call sign $mycall$

/Basil

I got it now Basil. Thanks. My ignorance of Linux is shining through. Every user including the system gets their own crontab. I was using the system’s crontab.

time to go read about Linux os

got all my wires and coax fished in the truck. Install tomorrow!

i notice in the YouTube you pointed me to, there is no debug panel. Do you toggle that panel on/off or leave it there all the time?

also, one of the rotating beacon messages indicates a digipeating setting?

david

Basil Gunn

remark; updown_log.sh, line 8, log_updown.sh -> updown_log.sh I
believe.
Changed comment to be consistent with actual name of updown_log.sh
script.

question; same file, lines 14-18 give the crontab entries. I had to
add ‘root’ as user to those lines like the other lines in /etc/crontab
in order to get lvd shutdown working. I’ve seen this before when you
were teaching us how to use btest.sh and crontab to beacon. Again, no
‘root’ Or any user specified in the crontab lines you wrote. It makes
me wonder if I am messing with the wrong crontab file? Pardon my
ignorance.
The comment in updown_log.sh has a crontab example which points to the
/home/pi/tmp directory. This is wrong & only used for
development. Changed the example to use the local bin directory
/home/pi/bin and updated bin_refresh.sh script to include the tracker
updown_log.sh script.

See commit here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/commit/9d65bb812bb699df3627be01a52abe0ad953c09d

To update:

cd
cd n7nix
git pull
cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

You shouldn't have to be root to run the the updown_log.sh
script. ie. the crontab should be used by default user (pi).
You can test this out by running the beacmin.sh script and verify that
it doesn't return with an error. You are confirming that the 'beacon'
command does not need to be run as root.

cd
cd n7nix/debug
./beacmin.sh

I tested this on my bench & it looks ok. Later on this afternoon I will
pull the mSD card from my truck & verify.

/Basil

Basil, trivial remark and question:

remark; updown_log.sh, line 8, log_updown.sh -> updown_log.sh I believe.

question; same file, lines 14-18 give the crontab entries. I had to add ‘root’ as user to those lines like the other lines in /etc/crontab in order to get lvd shutdown working. I’ve seen this before when you were teaching us how to use btest.sh and crontab to beacon. Again, no ‘root’ Or any user specified in the crontab lines you wrote. It makes me wonder if I am messing with the wrong crontab file? Pardon my ignorance.

david

Basil Gunn

I have 13 satellites.
Excellent! /Basil

I have 13 satellites.

Bingo!

sudo npm -g install uid-number

Just telnetted an email to myself through the tracker.

Thank you again. I am doing so much with this board that I could not otherwise do without you, Anna, Bryan and John.

david, Ke7rgp

Wonderful Basil. I’ll try this. screen -x Ctrl a 1 in the verify step walked me through all the missing dependencies except that last one, so this will be a new thing to try. Very excited and I’ll let you know either way.

david

Basil Gunn

David,

I'm still testing but this is what I had to do get things working.

The tracker_install.sh script disables pluweb.service and starts
tracker.service so that is why your previous web connection stopped
working. That is by design.

You should be able to connect to the tracker server in a
browser with: <ip_address>:8081 where ip_address can be localhost if you
are running on the RPi.

To make this work:
# I believe only uid-number module is not installed but checking the
# other required modules doesn't hurt.

sudo npm -g install ctype iniparser websocket connect serve-static finalhandler uid-number

As root edit /etc/tracker/aprs_tracker.ini
In the [station] section mycall = <your_call_sign>
In the [gps] section comment out with a '#' type=serial
In the [gps] section UNcomment (remove '#') type=gpsd

I've made these changes to the install script so you won't have to do
this manually next time & added a tracker-status script to verify a
couple of things.

To get the new scripts:
cd
cd n7nix
git pull
cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

Also when you get the web page to render if the satellite count is zero
then you may have to pull the latest track source to get a small fix I
put in a while back & forgot to check-in. Check the 3rd panel for
'Locked: 0 sats'. I'll walk you through that later if that turns out to
be the case.

/Basil

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> writes:

Ahh! I see now how the lvd renders the Ctrl tab obsolete. I didn’t
make the connection yesterday. I’ve been shadowing that development
since it appeared in the NWDR change log. My son bought me the its-12
for Christmas.
The its-12 is nice gift!

The history of my mobile APRS device is like this. I was going to an
APRS event & installed nixtracker on the UDR cpu card (not an Rpi) about
7 or 8 years ago and powered it from the cigarette lighter in the
truck. This was supposed to be a temporary setup that I eventually ran
for about 8 years. Note that the cpu card didn't have any power
protection & was powered off/on with the ignition key. That setup worked
flawlessly for about 8 years ie. same mSD card for that time was never
corrupted.

I did not want to run the same experiment with the RPi and now have the
its-12 powered from the truck battery set for 2 minutes. This allows me
to easily detect a voltage change using a DRAWS hat & beacon one last
time when I leave my truck then do a polite shutdown. I've been running
this setup for about 3 months.

Thanks for all your help. As always, no rush. I really wanted to try
plu and nixtracker with a fresh image a third time but that won’t
happen until tomorrow. Claws mail and the wl2k commands work.
I will do some testing over the next couple of days.
/Basil