Topics

#direwolf #direwolf

Paul Noa

Will do guys,

Thanks for the input I will start fresh with the NWDR15.  That is the advantage of having issues it gives you more experience.

Best regards,

Paul KO4BCZ

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 02:43, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

J P is correct there is no AI in these scripts to go back & undo. The
configuration scripts were meant to be run exactly once. Some scripts
are more forgiving than others because I had to run them a bunch of
times to get them to work properly. If you know you need to fix
something then just manually edit that config file.

For your call sign KO4BCV Look for the following line in file:
/etc/direwolf.conf

IGLOGIN KO4BCV 11409

You can look at the status of the tier 2 servers here:
http://status.aprs2.net/

Having said that I do not do any aprs client stuff in direwolf. I only
use it as a sound modem.
What I use for APRS is this:
aprx for digipeating
yaac & Xastir when I want maps
nixtracker in my vehicle for smart beaconing

I also use mobilinkd with a handy talky & droid phone for hiking.
You have some choices depending on what you want to do.

J P Watters via Groups.Io <kc9kko=mac.com@groups.io> writes:

> Paul,
>
> This is still a beta work in progress. Basil has done and outstanding job at making this work.
>
> There really isn't an UNDO script for running the getting started scripts after entering bad or erroneous information.
> Entering a Bogus call sign and an associated invalid password would not be good.
>
> It would appear that running the scripts the first time with a BOGUS call sign has some pretty real effects.
> Like never being able to connect to APRSIS with a Bogus Call Sign and an invalid password that was not generated by the CALLPASS algorithm.
> When I saw that the script reported that it was not the first time it had been run, that pointed out that a fresh image would be
> likely the best plan.
>
> Start with a fresh NW15 image and most importantly ' Follow the 'Getting Started Guide'
> https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started
>
> Members of our radio club and myself have had regular success following the getting started guide.
> When we have changed our minds in the initial configuration we have found it best to start with a fresh image.
>
> ..jpw J P Watters
> KC9KKO

Basil Gunn

[...]

J P Watters

[...]

Thanks Jim will check it out!

Paul KO4BCZ

Jim Erickson

Paul, you’ll find the Direwolf config file at /etc/direwolf.conf   In there you’ll find the auto generated passcode for aprs.

73 Jim

On Jan 26, 2020, at 18:29, Paul Noa <pauljnoa@...> wrote:

Basil,

I forgot to include the console output for the showudrc.sh.

here it is.

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 20:44, Paul Noa <pauljnoa@...> wrote:
Basil,

I went back to my NWDR14 build to see if i could remember what the issue was, attached is an output file: NWDR14 Rebuild.txt

But perhaps this is all you will need to know:

#Configure core functionality

pi@asawizard:~/n7nix $ cd config
pi@asawizard:~/n7nix/config $ sudo su
root@asawizard:/home/pi/n7nix/config# ./app_config.sh core
app_config.sh: script start
Enter call sign, followed by [enter]: KO4BCV
app_config.sh: Config core
  Already run 1 time(s):  core config script
current dir: /home/pi/n7nix/config
Test pwd: /home/pi/n7nix/config, path: /home/pi/n7nix

Verify IF dtoverlay= is set properly
  dtoverlay currently set to: dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
  dtoverlay for DRAWS OK

Verify IF dtparam=audio is set properly
  Last line in /boot/config.txt OK

Verify IF dtoverlay= is set properly
  dtoverlay currently set to: dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
  dtoverlay for DRAWS OK

Verify IF dtparam=audio is set properly
  Last line in /boot/config.txt OK
app_config.sh core has already been run, exiting
-- cfg_script_name  hostname: 0, passwd: 0, logfile: 0
root@asawizard:/home/pi/n7nix/config#

So despite git pull and updating and running  ./app_config.sh core again, and entering my new License instead of the made up one,
i.e KO4BCZ instead of the made up one NOAPJ

I still get this:
pi@asawizard:~ $ ax25-status
Status for direwolf.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25dev.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25dev.path: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25-mheardd.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25d.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
AX.25 device: ax0 successfully configured with ip: 192.168.255.2
AX.25 device: ax1 successfully configured with ip: 192.168.255.3
pi@asawizard:~ $ tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log
Jan 26 20:10:51 asawizard direwolf[455]: KISS protocol set TXtail = 10 (*10mS units = 100 mS), port 1
Jan 26 20:10:51 asawizard direwolf[455]: KISS protocol set Persistence = 32, port 1
Jan 26 20:10:51 asawizard direwolf[455]: KISS protocol set SlotTime = 20 (*10mS units = 200 mS), port 1
Jan 26 20:10:51 asawizard direwolf[455]: KISS protocol set FullDuplex = 0, port 1
Jan 26 20:10:56 asawizard direwolf[455]: Can't get address for IGate server noam.aprs2.net, Temporary failure in name resolution
Jan 26 20:11:01 asawizard direwolf[455]: Can't get address for IGate server noam.aprs2.net, Temporary failure in name resolution
Jan 26 20:11:06 asawizard direwolf[455]: Now connected to IGate server noam.aprs2.net (167.114.2.176)
Jan 26 20:11:06 asawizard direwolf[455]: Check server status here http://167.114.2.176:14501
Jan 26 20:11:11 asawizard direwolf[455]: [ig] # aprsc 2.1.5-g8af3cdc
Jan 26 20:11:11 asawizard direwolf[455]: [ig] # logresp N0APJ verified, server T2CAWEST

So as you see having alread run the core config once it did not prompt me for my passcode and did not change the original entry.
I am unable to find the direwolf.conf file to edit it for the correct info. perhaps that will suffice.  The APRS.SI site is receiving

Is feasible to try to correct NOAPJ with KO4BCZ or should I just bite the bullet and start fresh with the NWDR15 image.

A complete output txt file is attached anticipating other questions.

Paul KO4BCZ

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 18:34, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> I have three RPi 3's, one with my own build and one with the NWDR14
> build, one spare. I have been more successful with my build but not so
> much with yours,

And exactly (with console output) what problem are you having with the
image? Also, when you get a chance, switch to the NWDR15 image.

> with all due respect Basil I find it tedious to jump
> back and forth from one URL to another trying to follow three
> different paths for

> installing,

If you use the NWDR image there is nothing to install.
If you do your own custom install you are on your own.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DEBUG_BASICS.md
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/VERIFY_CONFIG.md

> So I hope find my argument compelling enough to continue to support
> the three units which I purchased.

Like I said before if you use the image you will get my support. If you
make your own custom install, post your questions on the forum and maybe
someone will answer.
/Basil

<showudrc_output.txt>

Paul Noa

> [...]

with all due respect Basil I find it tedious to jump
back and forth from one URL to another trying to follow three
different paths for
installing,
If you use the NWDR image there is nothing to install.
If you do your own custom install you are on your own.

configuring
Follow the 'Getting Started Guide'
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

and testing,
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DEBUG_BASICS.md
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/VERIFY_CONFIG.md

So I hope find my argument compelling enough to continue to support
the three units which I purchased.
Like I said before if you use the image you will get my support. If you
make your own custom install, post your questions on the forum and maybe

http://n5dux.com/ham/aprs-passcode/

This one works!

Paul, KO4BCV

Paul Noa

The easiest thing to do is to just google aprs passcode. The first hit
is the following website which will calc your passcode for you:

https://apps.magicbug.co.uk/passcode/index.php/

Results:

404 Page Not Found

The page you are looking for could not be found. Check the address bar to ensure your URL is spelled correctly. If all else fails, you can visit our home page at the link below.

Visit the Home Page

Paul Noa

Paul Noa

16:15 (1 minute ago)

to udrc

Basil,

Thanks for your response.

1. Your questions don't have anything to do with udrc or draws. You
would be better off asking them on the direwolf groups.io site.
https://groups.io/g/direwolf/topics

In fact I am using UDRC/Draws for my application I have three units. However, WB2OSZ was listening on your group and solved my issue with the length of the passcode.
It just turns out the passcode I used was my APRS.FI login due to my ignorance!!

 2. If you use the NWDR image the APRS server password is automatically
calculated & added to the direwolf configuration when running the
initial config script.

That explains why I saw my made up callsign on the APRS-SI server before I got my license while running Direwolf on the NWDR14 image.

3. There are many places to get your APRS server login passcode.
The nwdr image uses a C program from Xastir. Look at
n7nix/direwolf/config.sh around line 230.

Thanks for that info not sure how I would have known that, as all of the documentation I have used to install and configure assumed one would know that.  But Pete@AE5PL was kind enough to inform me that WB2OSZ, the author of Direwolf, would provide one.  I have not used Xastir.

As I have not heard back from him I will Get the n7nix repo and run the program.
Thanks!

4. The gps on the DRAWS hat requires gpsd version 3.18.1 or higher to
operate properly.

Right you are! I am running 3.17 version of GPSD, will upgrade it.

5. Not really motivated to support people that want to build their own
custom image from scratch. Not that you shouldn't, just that I don't want
to support you doing it. What is your compelling argument for not
using the supplied image?

Understood,  You had been helping me a couple of weeks back but I suspect you became annoyed at my inexperience, rightfully so.  I realize you are incredibly busy and did not want to waste your time and further embarrass myself.  However, I am highly motivated to reach my goal and therefore took a different path and after some progress I contacted support@ NWDR and Bryan worked with me to a point.  That point was when I needed my ARL. Which I tested for the next day and passed, KO4BCZ.
My subsequent attempt to get back on track with Bryan has failed. Not to be derailed I marched on and have made significant progress with help from others.
Believe me I need and want your support.  But I can also see the traffic and noted the NWDR15 image was a priority and assumed it might consuming your time.

I recall Bryan mentioned that he would consult you on my apparently simple application.  Easy for him to say. LOL
While waiting to hear from Bryan I continued on.

I have three RPi 3's, one with my own build and one with the NWDR14 build, one spare.  I have been more successful with my build but not so much with yours, with all due respect Basil I find it tedious to jump back and forth from one URL to another trying to follow three different paths for installing, configuring and testing, which why I sought your support in the first place.  I am getting better at it though realizing it is the nature of the beast

I am certain I am close to having the NWDR14 image running but not hearing back from Bryan stymied that process.  I would much appreciate you support getting it running as I still have not reached my goal.

Best regards,

Paul

So I hope find my argument compelling enough to continue to support the three units which I purchased.

Basil Gunn

In fact WB2OSZ was listening on your group and answered me.
Yep. Feel privileged that John monitors the udrc/draws forum.

. But Pete@AE5PL was kind enough to inform me that WB2OSZ, the author
of Direwolf, would provide one.

As I have not heard back from him I will Get the n7nix repo and run the
program.
Thanks!
The easiest thing to do is to just google aprs passcode. The first hit
is the following website which will calc your passcode for you:

https://apps.magicbug.co.uk/passcode/index.php/

4. The gps on the DRAWS hat requires gpsd version 3.18.1 or higher to
operate properly.

Right you are I am running 3.17 version of GPSD will upgrade it.
Depending on what you do with GPS you could have problems.

/Basil n7nix

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 16:00, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> Can you provide the login password or direct me where to get it
> Please.

Google is your friend
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=aprs+passcode&pp=1&s=l

1. Your questions don't have anything to do with udrc or draws. You
would be better off asking them on the direwolf groups.io site.
https://groups.io/g/direwolf/topics

2. If you use the NWDR image the APRS server password is automatically
calculated & added to the direwolf configuration when running the
initial config script.

3. There are many places to get your APRS server login passcode.
The nwdr image uses a C program from Xastir. Look at
n7nix/direwolf/config.sh around line 230.

# Get the n7nix repo
git clone https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix
# Go to the directory containing the callpass source code

cd n7nix/direwolf/
gcc -o callpass callpass.c
# run the program
./callpass <your_callsign>
Passcode for <your_callsign> is <some_5_digit_number>

4. The gps on the DRAWS hat requires gpsd version 3.18.1 or higher to
operate properly. You most likely got your gpsd from the Debian
repositories which is about 2 years old. Verify your gpsd version number:

gpsd -V

[...]

WB2OSZ,

Ha!
Didn't realize I was talking to the author of Direwolf!  Thank you very much for all of your hard work developing this app.

In  an effort to set up Direwolf, I may have not understood but I need a login and password for Igate.  I see my my callsign i.e. KO4BCZ  on the T2USANW aprsc status server but it is not verified.

Does Tha explain why I am not in APRS.FI database as well?

Can you provide the login password or direct me where to get it Please.

Best regards,

Paul

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 08:14, WB2OSZ <wb2osz@...> wrote:
It looks like your passcode is too long.
Your ILOGIN configuration should look similar to this:

ILOGIN WW9WWW-9 12345

The last part should be five digits.

It looks like your passcode is too long.
Your ILOGIN configuration should look similar to this:

ILOGIN WW9WWW-9 12345

The last part should be five digits.

Paul Noa

Ok folks,

I have installed Direwolf with a DRAWS hat using the basic Raspbian image with desktop only.

1) My APRS info is getting through IGate but is unverified and is not present APRS.fi raw data, presumably because its not verified.
2) the fixed info I entered in Direwolf.conf shows up but not the actual GPSD position ??
3) I get the following message on startup specifically the Warning I am not sure what to do about:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ direwolf
Dire Wolf version 1.5
Includes optional support for:  gpsd cm108-ptt

Reading config file direwolf.conf
WARNING: strlcpy result length 11 exceeds maximum length 7.  (config.c config_init 4025)
Audio device for both receive and transmit: plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0  (channels 0 & 1)
Channel 0: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, E+, 48000 sample rate / 3.
Channel 1: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, E+, 48000 sample rate / 3.
Ready to accept AGW client application 0 on port 8000 ...
Ready to accept KISS TCP client application 0 on port 8001 ...
GPSD: Location fix is now 3D.

Now connected to IGate server noam.aprs2.net (44.10.10.10)
Check server status here http://44.10.10.10:14501

[ig] # aprsc 2.1.5-g8af3cdc
[ig] # logresp KO4BCZ unverified, server T2SJC
[ig] KO4BCZ>APDW15:!3009.37NR08134.58W&
[0L] KO4BCZ>APDW15,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:!3009.37NS08134.58W#PHG6160UDRC

Any Comments that would help would be much appreciated.

Paul
KO4BCZ