Topics

nixtracker msg ack?

If I send an APRS message with the tracker to my home station, and the ack box is checked, I do not see the ack response from the base station. I can see that the base station sent a packet in the 1-8 station list though. I can also see the base station ack message in the raw packets on aprs.fi. See KE7RGP, no SSID, on aprs.fi. That is the base station. KE7RGP-3 is the tracker. This groups.io message panel is not letting me cut and paste.

Finally, I can see that the tracker has no retries so I believe it is registering a received acknowledgement.
When I disable transmit on the base station, the tracker will report four retries.

Should the message panel on the tracker show the ackxxxx message from the base station?

I’ll play around with it some more...

tia, David

Basil Gunn

Hi David,

If I send an APRS message with the tracker to my home station, and the
ack box is checked, I do not see the ack response from the base
station.
Describe to me what you are expecting.
'I do not see the ack response'.
How are you expecting to 'see' the ack response?
I don't think I display the ack packets in the Messages window.

I am only looking at the aprs.fi raw packets fro KE7GRP*
The message: 'Test' goes to your base station which responds with an
ack. I see no further attempt by mobile unit KE7RGP-3 so I'm assuming
that it swallowed the ack and is satisfied.

I can see that the base station sent a packet in the 1-8
station list though. I can also see the base station ack message in
the raw packets on aprs.fi. See KE7RGP, no SSID, on aprs.fi. That is
the base station. KE7RGP-3 is the tracker.
This groups.io message panel is not letting me cut and paste.
I rarely ever use the groups.io forum interface so I'm not much help
with that.

I just use my email client, mu4e, which is an email search engine, mu,
with an emacs based email client. This allows me to cut & paste text or
toast bagels or whatever else I want to do.

Finally, I can see that the tracker has no retries so I believe it is
registering a received acknowledgement.
Yep. I agree.

When I disable transmit on the base station, the tracker will report four retries.
Sounds correct.

Should the message panel on the tracker show the ackxxxx message from the base station?
It used to but I found it too distracting. I need to add a feature that
shows that the sent message has been acked like Xastir does by changing
the background of the message.

I’ll play around with it some more...

tia, David

Thanks Basil, that answers my question. I was uncertain how to verify on the tracker side that the ack was received by the tracker. Watching the retries is perfectly fine,  I just wanted to make sure, I wasn’t sure what to expect in the message window.

David

Basil Gunn

Thanks Basil, that answers my question. I was uncertain how to verify
on the tracker side that the ack was received by the tracker. Watching
the retries is perfectly fine, I just wanted to make sure, I wasn’t
sure what to expect in the message window.
For nixtracker 'APRS messaging' I try to model the behavior of Xastir
and make sure that it works with both Xastir & YAAC.

Messaging functionality needs some work so I appreciate you using this
interface and I am open to your suggestions.

Your color change suggestion would be useful, for me anyway. I notice the sent message is in red font in the msg panel. Maybe change it to black after an ack? But again, retries are easy enough to look for ... So it is good for me as is. I just needed a handle on what to look for.

I am not familiar with the Xastir change in background color. I’m new to most of this.

david

For those of us with impaired vision, having colors (background, foreground, and state) user configurable would be a  nice enhancement.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 2:50 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:
Your color change suggestion would be useful, for me anyway. I notice the sent message is in red font in the msg panel. Maybe change it to black after an ack? But again, retries are easy enough to look for ... So it is good for me as is. I just needed a handle on what to look for.

I am not familiar with the Xastir change in background color. I’m new to most of this.

david

Kingston, WA
K7VE