Topics

DRAWS - not able to receive APRS #aprs #direwolf #ax25

Mark J Culross

Edited

I finally found some time to play with my new DRAWS (attached to RPi3B+, running current image dated 2020-Aug-22), but I've run into a roadbock.

To start, I followed <https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Image-getting-started> - all results were as expected, with no obvious indication of any errors

I then followed <https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/VERIFY_CONFIG.md> - all results were as expected, with no obvious indication of any errors

I did have a little trouble getting the DRAWS manager to run . . . it would start & then exit after about 10-seconds.  Changing to "/usr/local/var/draws-manager" & issuing a "git pull" followed by a reboot straightened that out.

The radio (IC-7000) is attached to the left side DIN6 connector (udr0).  I also ran the "setalsa-ic7000.sh" setup script.

I've attached output files with the results from the following commands:
- ax25-status
- ax25-status -d
- ax25-showcfg.sh
- alsa-show.sh

I have run each of the following at the root command line, but other than showing when I send a test position message using "btest.sh -p -P udr0", none of them show any indication of any APRS decoding (although I am tuned to 144.390 & can hear lots of packet activity from the radio):
- tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log
- listen -a -h -i -p udr0 -r -t
- mheard

Any suggestion on what to check next ??

Thanks in advance,

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Corky Searls

Mark, a quick question regarding the IC-7000 config. Do you have this set for 1200 baud or 9K6? You will need to make sure that you are listening to the correct pin on the mini-din connector.

I believe the default for AX25 is the 9k6 pin, so you may need to set the radio to 9k6 (this just provides audio directly from the discriminator and does not really affect the actual baud rate)

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Mark J Culross wrote:
I finally found some time to play with my new DRAWS (attached to RPi3B+, running current image dated 2020-Aug-22), but I've run into a roadbock.

To start, I followed <https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Image-getting-started>

I then followed <https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/VERIFY_CONFIG.md>

The radio (IC-7000) is attached to the left side DIN6 connector (udr0).  I also ran the setalsa-ic7000.sh setup script.

I've attached output files with the results from the following commands:
- ax25-status
- ax25-status -d
- ax25-showcfg.sh
- alsa-show.sh

I have run each of the following at the root command line, but other than showing when I send a test position message using btest.sh, none of them show any indication of any APRS decoding (although I am tuned to 144.390 & can hear lots of packet activity from the radio):
- tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log
- listen -a -h -i -p udr0 -r -t
- mheard

Any suggestion on what to check next ??

Thanks in advance,

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Attachments:
  • ax25-status.out
  • ax25-status-d.out
  • ax25-showcfg.out
  • alsa-show.out

Mark J Culross

Corky (AF4PM):

Thanks for your reply.  I did try combinations of turning 9600 on/off on the radio, along with setting pin 4(DESC) / pin 5(AF) in DRAWS manager, all with no detectable difference in decoding.

I found reports in the forum of better decoding using the discriminator pin.  However, by default, the "setalsa-ic7000.sh" script deactivates the "IN1" inputs (9600/discriminator) & activates the "IN2" inputs (1200/AF).  I temporarily modified the script to reverse this, again with no detectable difference in behavior.

The <https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8992> reference gives a nice interconnection diagram with a great explanation of the hardware plumbing.

Thanks again for your reply !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 12:05:33 PM CDT, Corky Searls <af4pm@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark, yes the script is set up for IN2 as the primary use for the IC-7000 was for HF. It has been a while since I used it for VHF with the DRAWS and I have not tried the latest image. Not sure I will have time this week to test, but will try.

As a check, perhaps you can use the setalsq-ic-7000.sh script and run fldigi to make sure that you are receiving audio on the waterfall. This at least confirm that the audio chain is working. You will need to shut down ax25 with the script prior to running fldigi.

Are you able to decode the APRS message sent via the IC-7000?

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Mark J Culross wrote:

[...]

Thanks again for your follow-up.  My answers/comments are embedded below within [brackets].

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 1:13:05 PM CDT, Corky Searls <af4pm@...> wrote:

Mark, yes the script is set up for IN2 as the primary use for the IC-7000 was for HF. It has been a while since I used it for VHF with the DRAWS and I have not tried the latest image. Not sure I will have time this week to test, but will try.  [ HF apps is my intended use for the IC-7000 + DRAWS as well. ]

As a check, perhaps you can use the setalsq-ic-7000.sh script and run fldigi to make sure that you are receiving audio on the waterfall. This at least confirm that the audio chain is working. You will need to shut down ax25 with the script prior to running fldigi.  [ Good suggestion !!  I will give that a try, & post back here with how it goes . . . thanks. ]

Are you able to decode the APRS message sent via the IC-7000? [ I am able to visually see my transmission on my SDR, but none of my test position transmissions have shown up on aprs.fi so far.  Note that I have not done anything to try & tune/adjust that output, as I thought I'd try what should have been the easy case (RX) first !!.]

[...]

Basil Gunn

First thanks for all the console output.

The radio (IC-7000) is attached to the left side DIN6 connector
(udr0). I also ran the "setalsa-ic7000.sh" setup script.
This could be your problem since that script tries to set up deviation
for the HF radio. You need to set deviation for the VHF/UHF radio in the
IC-7000. I would turn off discriminator receiver routing and turn on
compensated audio. I am not sure if the IC-7000 radio supports
discriminator out for vhf.

This is what you currently have, set by the setalsa script.

IN1 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
IN2 L:[Off] R:[Off]

You want to flip these controls for Left channel manually. ie. turn off
IN1 & have 10 kOhm for IN2.

Run alsamixer from a console
press F6, select sound card
- select udrc
scroll to the right until you find:
IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
- turn that off by typing <down-arrow>

Continue scrolling to the right until you find:
IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
- turn that ON by typing <up-arrow> once only

exit to save new settings

Be aware that there are both positive & negative resister controls ie.
IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [Off]
IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor [Off]

You only want to set Left Mixer Positive Resistor control.

Verify by running alsa-show.sh

You need to confirm your deviation.

Go to this link
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation

This will lead you through how to output a steady audio tone that you will
monitor with an HT or some other radio in your shack.
Be sure to read the John Ackermann N8UR link.

/Basil n7nix

Mark J Culross

Basil (n7nix):

Thanks for your advice.  I believe that I understand all of your instructions & have executed them as directed, but APRS RX is still not working.  I did find that I could make quicker modifications of the connections/resistors using the DRAWS Manager selection for the desired audio pin . . . does that have the same effect as the changes you described & is it OK to use the DRAWS Manager to switch between resistors connected to IN1_L & IN2_L ??

As Corky suggested, I tested the receive path using fldigi (after stopping AX25/direwolf) & BTW, I also had to manually install libjpeg for fldigi to work, even though I am using the latest image (I found your reply with instructions elsewhere on the forum).  Using the waterfall display in fldigi (with the radio still on 144.390), I did confirm that audio is present on both pins (4/DISC & 5/AF) from the IC-7000 in VHF/FM mode.  Using either pin (4/5), I see the waterfall change whenever I hear a packet on the radio & the waterfall goes completely blank as expected when I select "OFF" for the left side DIN6 audio pin (udr0).

As I mentioned to Corky, I have not yet done anything with the transmit path, other than cause a test position message to be sent to verify PTT functionality.  For now, I'm just concentrating on trying to get RX of APRS to work, since I really thought that would be the easy case !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Mark J Culross <mjculross@...> writes:

Basil (n7nix):
Thanks for your advice. I believe that I understand all of your
instructions & have executed them as directed, but APRS RX is still
not working.
In a console run this command:

tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log

In another window run alsamixer for the udrc sound device
Increase the ADC level control until you see packets arriving in
direwolf.log

If you are NOT able to see packets in the direwolf log file then confirm
that BOTH your radio & DRAWS hat are using pin 5 (AF) of the mDin6 connector,
ie. 1200 baud receive.

To confirm the DRAWS hat config assuming you are using the left mDin6
connector run 'alsa-show.sh'. You should see:

IN1 L:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhms]

I did find that I could make quicker modifications of the
connections/resistors using the DRAWS Manager selection for the desired
audio pin . . . does that have the same effect as the changes you
described & is it OK to use the DRAWS Manager to switch between
resistors connected to IN1_L & IN2_L ??
As long as you confirm changes with alsa-show.sh

As Corky suggested, I tested the receive path using fldigi (after
stopping AX25/direwolf) & BTW, I also had to manually install libjpeg
for fldigi to work,
libjpeg is installed on the image. If you ever run 'sudo apt autoremove'
it will be removed and you will have to reinstall it.

even though I am using the latest image (I found your reply with
instructions elsewhere on the forum). Using the waterfall display in
fldigi (with the radio still on 144.390), I did confirm that audio is
present on both pins (4/DISC & 5/AF) from the IC-7000 in VHF/FM
mode. Using either pin (4/5), I see the waterfall change whenever I
hear a packet on the radio & the waterfall goes completely blank as
expected when I select "OFF" for the left side DIN6 audio pin (udr0).
As I mentioned to Corky, I have not yet done anything with the
transmit path, other than cause a test position message to be sent to
verify PTT functionality. For now, I'm just concentrating on trying to
get RX of APRS to work, since I really thought that would be the easy
case !!
It should be easy. But each radio needs to be configured and the ALSA
settings need to match and that, I think, is where your problem lies.

You also might change your DAC Playback PT back to default.
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]

Make sure the radio receive preamp is turned off.
P.AMP/ATT button to left of screen

Mark J CulrossKD5RXT
On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 2:08:08 PM CDT, Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

[...]

Update on discriminator below.

Thanks,
-Corky

On 9/13/20 12:08 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

First thanks for all the console output.

The radio (IC-7000) is attached to the left side DIN6 connector
(udr0). I also ran the "setalsa-ic7000.sh" setup script.
This could be your problem since that script tries to set up deviation
for the HF radio. You need to set deviation for the VHF/UHF radio in the
IC-7000. I would turn off discriminator receiver routing and turn on
compensated audio. I am not sure if the IC-7000 radio supports
discriminator out for vhf.
 (it does)
[...]

Looking at Basil's response, I think he found the problem. With the IC-7000 the audio is very sensitive, but the HF and VHF paths are very different. The gain setting for HF will likely not provide sufficient audio for direwolf, so indeed it may need to return to P3 when using VHF.

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On 9/13/20 2:55 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
[...]

Thanks again for your reply.  I am definitely using alsa-show.sh to confirm the settings as I make changes, both with alsamixer as well as with the DRAWS Manager.

Here's the current capture from alsa-show.sh:

= = = = = = = = = = = = =   start snippet   = = = = = = = = = = = = =

root@drawsMJC:/home/pi# /home/pi/bin/alsa-show.sh
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB]    R:[-6.00dB]
PCM            L:[-26.50dB]    R:[-26.50dB]
DAC Playback PT    L:[P3]        R:[P3]
LO Playback CM    [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level    L:[-2.00dB]    R:[-2.00dB]
IN1        L:[Off]        R:[Off]
IN2        L:[10 kOhm]    R:[Off]
CM        L:[10 kOhm]    R:[10 kOhm]

= = = = = = = = = = = = =    end snippet    = = = = = = = = = = = = =

As I mentioned to Corky in an earlier post, I open several terminals & have used "tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log", "mheard", & "listen -a -h -i -p udr0 -r -t" (each in separate terminals) to try to detect any successful APRS receptions.

Here's the current capture from the direwolf.log:

= = = = = = = = = = = = =   start snippet   = = = = = = = = = = = = =

root@drawsMJC:/home/pi# !tail
tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log
Sep 13 16:17:06 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: KISS protocol set TXtail = 10 (*10mS units = 100 mS), port 1
Sep 13 16:17:06 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: KISS protocol set Persistence = 32, port 1
Sep 13 16:17:06 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: KISS protocol set SlotTime = 20 (*10mS units = 200 mS), port 1
Sep 13 16:17:06 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: KISS protocol set FullDuplex = 0, port 1
Sep 13 16:17:11 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: Can't get address for IGate server noam.aprs2.net, Temporary failure in name resolution
Sep 13 16:17:16 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: Can't get address for IGate server noam.aprs2.net, Temporary failure in name resolution
Sep 13 16:17:21 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: Now connected to IGate server noam.aprs2.net (173.242.239.3)
Sep 13 16:17:21 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: Check server status here http://173.242.239.3:14501
Sep 13 16:17:26 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: [ig] # aprsc 2.1.8-gf8824e8
Sep 13 16:17:26 drawsMJC direwolf[526]: [ig] # logresp KD5RXT verified, server T2NALA

= = = = = = = = = = = = =    end snippet    = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The IC-7000 radio has "9600" mode turned off & the pre-amp is also turned off.  I am using the left side DIN6 on the DRAWS.

As you requested, I ran the "ADC Level" control across the entire range, from -12.00dB to +20.00dB (in 0.5dB steps), allowing two "packet sounds" per setting to see if anything was received.  When done, I left it back at the -2.00dB level (as you see in the alsa-show.sh report above).  Unfortunately, still no APRS RX at any level.

BYW, you nailed it on the "apt-get autoremove" causing libjpeg to be removed: GUILTY AS INDICATED !!

I just have to be missing something stupidly simple !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 4:55:40 PM CDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> [...]

> scroll to the right until you find:
> IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>  - turn that off by typing <down-arrow>
>
> Continue scrolling to the right until you find:
> IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>  - turn that ON by typing <up-arrow> once only
>
> exit to save new settings
>
> Be aware that there are both positive & negative resister controls ie.
>  IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [Off]
>  IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor [Off]
>
> You only want to set Left Mixer Positive Resistor control.
>
> Verify by running alsa-show.sh
>
> You need to confirm your deviation.
>
> Go to this link
> https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation
>
> This will lead you through how to output a steady audio tone that you will
> monitor with an HT or some other radio in your shack.
> Be sure to read the John Ackermann N8UR link.

Basil Gunn

I just did a verification using 2M (144.390) APRS on my IC-706MkIIG.
I used both the 13 pin Aux socket & 6 pin miniDin socket connected to
the left mDin6 connector on the DRAWS hat.
I was able to receive APRS packets on both sockets.

direwolf was reporting that the receive signal was a little hot so I
dialed ADC Level down to 0.0dB

Make sure squelch is off.

This is my DRAWS hat version
$ udrcver.sh
Found a DRAWS

HAT ID EEPROM
Name: hat
Product: Digital Radio Amateur Work Station
Product ID: 0x0004
Product ver: 0x0108
UUID: ca33c9d0-765a-434b-870a-0dbebedf01f4
Vendor: NW Digital Radio

Tomorrow I will try to replicate from a fresh install.

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

[...]

Just finished a fresh install of nwdr17.

Using the default ALSA settings, did not run any setalsa- script (ADC
Level L:[0.00dB]), I was able to receive APRS packets on 2M using the
mDin6 cable to the IC-706.

I know it is a big assumption that the ic-706 & ic-7000 operate with
digital modes in a similar way but they both have a 13 pin ACC port & a
mDin6 Data port both of which work with DRAWS using an appropriate
cable. Do you have a cable that plugs into the ACC port?
https://hammadeparts.com/shop-for-cables/ols/products/icom-13-pin-din-acc-port-to-nw-digital-draws-hat-6-pin-mini-din-packet-port-plug

Which version of DRAWS hat & RPi are you running?
Could you please send me the output of showudrc.sh

$ udrcver.sh

Product ID: 0x0004
Product ver: 0x0108

$ piver.sh
Pi 4 Model B, Rev 1.1, 4GB mem, Mfg by Sony UK with WiFi

I think we should focus on the cable you are using and DRAWS hardware.
Do you have another vhf/uhf radio with a mini Din6 connector?
Could you please run the measure_deviate.sh script to verify you can
hear a tone in another radio.

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

[...]

Mark, I hooked up the IC-7000 to the DRAWS today and tested the system for ax25 packet with Direwolf. I am using the radio on the right-hand miniDIN connector with the setalsa-ic7000.sh settings, which is the same setup that I use for HF. Other than getting the squelch set properly, I was able to decode both APRS traffic and ax25 packet. Since you are able to hear the APRS packets, I do not believe this is a squelch problem.

There are two differences in the alsa settings from yours below:
     1) The DAC playback is set to [P1] as the in the script, and
     2) the Receive IN2 R is set to [10 kOhm] instead of being off.

The radio is set for 1200 Baud data.

Can you attach a copy of /etc/direwolf.conf to make sure something is not amiss there?

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM
On 9/13/20 4:25 PM, Mark J Culross wrote:

> [...]

> scroll to the right until you find:
> IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>  - turn that off by typing <down-arrow>
>
> Continue scrolling to the right until you find:
> IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>  - turn that ON by typing <up-arrow> once only
>
> exit to save new settings
>
> Be aware that there are both positive & negative resister controls ie.
>  IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [Off]
>  IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor [Off]
>
> You only want to set Left Mixer Positive Resistor control.
>
> Verify by running alsa-show.sh
>
> You need to confirm your deviation.
>
> Go to this link
> https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation
>
> This will lead you through how to output a steady audio tone that you will
> monitor with an HT or some other radio in your shack.
> Be sure to read the John Ackermann N8UR link.

Mark J Culross

Corky (AF4PM):

Thanks for your most recent post.  I am in a training class all week so I won't be able to get back to tinkering with my DRAWS until this weekend, but I'll definitely try to duplicate your setup & I will also post my direwolf.conf contents.

Thanks again for your assistance !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Monday, September 14, 2020, 10:27:25 PM CDT, Corky Searls <af4pm@...> wrote:

> [...]

> scroll to the right until you find:
> IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>  - turn that off by typing <down-arrow>
>
> Continue scrolling to the right until you find:
> IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>  - turn that ON by typing <up-arrow> once only
>
> exit to save new settings
>
> Be aware that there are both positive & negative resister controls ie.
>  IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [Off]
>  IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor [Off]
>
> You only want to set Left Mixer Positive Resistor control.
>
> Verify by running alsa-show.sh
>
> You need to confirm your deviation.
>
> Go to this link
> https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation
>
> This will lead you through how to output a steady audio tone that you will
> monitor with an HT or some other radio in your shack.
> Be sure to read the John Ackermann N8UR link.

Mark J Culross

Basil (n7nix):

Thanks for your most recent post.  I am in a training class all week so I won't be able to get back to tinkering with my DRAWS until this weekend, but I'll definitely try to duplicate your setup.

As a side note, I have used my IC-7000 successfully for PSK31 (a loooong time ago, using a BUXCOMM RASCAL i/f), but I don't remember if that was thru the miniDIN6 or ACC port.  If I have a 13-pin ACC cable, it's probably buried in some unmarked box somewhere with my RASCAL i/f !!

Not wanting to be the victim of any ASSumptions, I did try my second miniDIN6 cable (I ordered two with my DRAWS board), but still no difference.  Unfortunately, the IC-7000 is my only VHF/UHF radio with miniDIN6, so I have only the one set of hardware (radio, DRAWS, 2 miniDIN6 cables) to test with.

On the TX side, I noted in an earlier message that I initiated a test position message transmission (using btest to verify PTT functionality) & I was able to confirm externally with my SDR that the DRAWS is putting out modulated data.  I have not done any "tuning" of this TX data (levels, etc.), as I want to concentrate strictly on verifying the RX path first !!  Correct me if I am mistaken in thinking that the RX & TX paths are independent.

I'll forward the result of running "showudrc.sh" when I get back to it this weekend.

One question:  in your description, you mention using nwdr17.  I've been starting with current_image.img.xz.  Is there any difference ??  Maybe I should try nwdr17.img.xz instead ??

Basil Gunn <basil@...> writes:

> [...]
>>> scroll to the right until you find:
>>> IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>>>  - turn that off by typing <down-arrow>
>>>
>>> Continue scrolling to the right until you find:
>>> IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
>>>  - turn that ON by typing <up-arrow> once only
>>>
>>> exit to save new settings
>>>
>>> Be aware that there are both positive & negative resister controls ie.
>>>  IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [Off]
>>>  IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor [Off]
>>>
>>> You only want to set Left Mixer Positive Resistor control.
>>>
>>> Verify by running alsa-show.sh
>>>
>>> You need to confirm your deviation.
>>>
>>> Go to this link
>>> https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation
>>>
>>> This will lead you through how to output a steady audio tone that you will
>>> monitor with an HT or some other radio in your shack.
>>> Be sure to read the John Ackermann N8UR link.

Basil Gunn

Mark J Culross <mjculross@...> writes:

Basil (n7nix):
Thanks for your most recent post. I am in a training class all week so
I won't be able to get back to tinkering with my DRAWS until this
weekend, but I'll definitely try to duplicate your setup.
Have fun in your training class.

As a side note, I have used my IC-7000 successfully for PSK31 (a
loooong time ago, using a BUXCOMM RASCAL i/f), but I don't remember if
that was thru the miniDIN6 or ACC port. If I have a 13-pin ACC cable,
it's probably buried in some unmarked box somewhere with my RASCAL i/f
!!
I was trying to qualify your cable and I don't think that is where the
problem lies. After verifying that my IC-706 can hear packets with a
default setup (without touching ALSA settings) I believe it's down to
either the IC-7000 config or a DRAWS hardware problem.

Not wanting to be the victim of any ASSumptions, I did try my second
miniDIN6 cable (I ordered two with my DRAWS board), but still no
difference.
Yep, confirmed, not a cable issue.

Unfortunately, the IC-7000 is my only VHF/UHF radio with
miniDIN6, so I have only the one set of hardware (radio, DRAWS, 2
miniDIN6 cables) to test with.
Do you have an HT? Would be useful to listen for output during transmit
config.

On the TX side, I noted in an earlier message that I initiated a test
position message transmission (using btest to verify PTT
functionality) & I was able to confirm externally with my SDR that the
DRAWS is putting out modulated data. I have not done any "tuning" of
this TX data (levels, etc.), as I want to concentrate strictly on
verifying the RX path first !! Correct me if I am mistaken in thinking
that the RX & TX paths are independent.
Yes, independent. With transmit need to verify PTT works and set up of
deviation.

I'll forward the result of running "showudrc.sh" when I get back to it
this weekend.
OK, I'm not going anywhere.

One question: in your description, you mention using nwdr17. I've been
starting with current_image.img.xz. Is there any difference ?? Maybe I
should try nwdr17.img.xz instead ??
current_image.img.xz and nwdr17.img.xz are the same file symbolically
linked.

ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 www-data www-data 13 Aug 22 11:07 current_image.img.xz -> nwdr17.img.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 1974364348 Aug 22 11:02 nwdr17.img.xz

Thanks again for your assistance !!
Thanks for hanging in there !!

Mark J CulrossKD5RXT