Yahboom Fan Hat

Jon D

Hello group. Has anyone used the Yahboom Fan Hat with the DAWS Hat?

Just checking before I buy a Draws Hat.
______________
Have fun,
Jon N5JLD
http://www.n5jld.net

If you purchase the DRAWS™ Kit, it includes an aluminum case which has a mount point for a fan. (Most people do not need a fan, regardless)

See: http://nwdigitalradio.com/draws-cases-have-moved-to-production/

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 5:06 PM Jon D <n5jld.tx@...> wrote:
Hello group. Has anyone used the Yahboom Fan Hat with the DAWS Hat?

Just checking before I buy a Draws Hat.
______________
Have fun,
Jon N5JLD
http://www.n5jld.net

Kingston, WA
K7VE / WRJT-215

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Jon,

Looking at the device specs online, I have two immediate concerns:

#1 the vertical height and fan clearance may give you a dimensional issue,

#2 the fan will not run at all unless activated by the software.

Before going that way, I would want to know that the software that they provide will not interfere with the function of the DRAWS board.

BTW I have 2 DRAWS units.

# 1 is a current release version mounted on a RPi4 and in the NW Digital Radio case. I do need a fan with it. I found a pair on Amazon that fit the case. The CPU temp now runs acceptably cool. I was getting a thermal warning before I installed the fan.

# 2 is an “early experience” unit mounted on an RPi3B and in the “early experience” case. I mounted the other fan on it because I had it… 😊 It runs only Direwolf and XASTIR and tend to run

Link to the pair of cheap quiet fans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FW3DDQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1 (on Pi4) looks like this:

Nice unit that performs very well. I run Direwolf, XASTIR, and the “Ham Clock” software simultaneously and drive a 25” HDMI monitor with it. It tends to run about 55C/132F in that configuration with the fan. It was throwing the heat warning without the fan.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

kd4iz@...

Hello group. Has anyone used the Yahboom Fan Hat with the DAWS Hat?

Just checking before I buy a Draws Hat.

______________
Have fun,
Jon N5JLD
http://www.n5jld.net

okiejim

Jack,
I'm curious how you routed your fan wiring? I don't see them in your picture? Would you be
willing to share your install?

Jack Spitznagel

Jim,

Even though it was an improptu kitbash, I am sort of proud of the job. On the other unit, I just kitbashed a microUSB plug and about 3” of wire to reach around and plug into the microUSB socket on the side of the RPi3B board. It looks really ugly.

Here is a photo of the one on the RPi4 DRAWS unit :

After clipping off the “push on” connectors (I hate those POC!), I trimmed and threaded very thin heat shrink over the wire pair and pushed it all the away up until it stopped against the fan body, leaving the ends of the wires out about ½”, then used the hot air tip on my rework unit to shrink on the piece. I then stripped off about 1/8 inch of the insulation from each wire and tinned them carefully with “no lead” solder. I threaded the assembly through the slot like you see above, then using a fine tip on the soldering tool @ about 750F, I carefully tacked each wire to the appropriate solder pads of one of the USB connectors (that would be pins 1 and 4) on the bottom of the RPi4 board. After assembling the case around the two boards, I used a couple of 10mm long (M2) machine screws to fasten the fan in the case holes (too long but what I had – they are clear of anything inside the case). I used 6 of the remaining M2 flat head screws that came with the case kit to finish attaching the case cover.

I am pretty casual about kitbashing stuff… this RPi4 was the first one I bought (1GB ram)… it was “expendable” if I screwed up. Fortunately I did not and the unit works like a champ. I had hoped to drop the temp farther, but this was enough to bring it out of the alarm zone.

I hope my description makes sense.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Science River LLC

Biomedical Consulting Services