Gpio ptt #ptt #flrig #wsjt

Rob Paddock

Anyone have issue with PTT getting stuck on?

I have an ic-7000 plugged in. I have flrig set to gpio PTT on pin 12 as suggested by the setup guides. I have wsjtx set to flrig and Cat control PTT. When I TX from wsjtx the radio keys and transmits but doesn't stop. The PTT is on permently. The only way to stop it is going back into flrig and turn of gpio ptt and re enable it.

It's really frustrating and struggling to work out what causes it
Could it be RFI?
Is the gpio output isolated? So I need some kind of choke on the 6pin?

Anyone else experienced it.

If not then the hunt to the cause will go on

73
Rob
M6bzg

Jim VA7SHG/VE7TGZ

I'm not sure this is the fix, but I have a suggestion and another option for turning off the stuck PTT.

I had similar issues while trying to get QSSTV to use FLRig for PTT and setting up FLRig to use the GPIO pins correctly.  One thing I found, in FLRig Configuration, GPIO, the Pulse width (msec) needed to be 0 for my setup.  Not sure if that will help you or not.

Also, to toggle the PTT, you can use the command line.  The command is

ptt_ctrl.sh -r -t

The -r is for the right connector, -t is to toggle. You can use -l for the left. That was my method to get the PTT back off if it got stuck.  I was also using that method to manually trigger the PTT on and off, prior to getting FLRig working. I know my issue wasn't RFI as I didn't have a radio attached, I was just watching the red lights by each minidin6.

Hope that helps,

73, Jim

On 2021-03-21 2:37 p.m., blackbicbiro@... wrote:
Anyone have issue with PTT getting stuck on?

I have an ic-7000 plugged in. I have flrig set to gpio PTT on pin 12 as suggested by the setup guides. I have wsjtx set to flrig and Cat control PTT. When I TX from wsjtx the radio keys and transmits but doesn't stop. The PTT is on permently. The only way to stop it is going back into flrig and turn of gpio ptt and re enable it.

It's really frustrating and struggling to work out what causes it
Could it be RFI?
Is the gpio output isolated? So I need some kind of choke on the 6pin?

Anyone else experienced it.

If not then the hunt to the cause will go on

73
Rob
M6bzg

Basil Gunn

Hey Rob,

I have never had PTT stuck on, however, I haven't used every HF rig
either. I have fried a couple of RPis by leaving their cables draped
across the antenna coax.

Ferrites are a good place to start. Keep all RPi cables away from your
antenna feed line.

To do some simple tests in a console use the ptt_ctrl.sh script in
n7nix/bin. You can easily turn PTT off using this script as well.

# Simple script to control PTT gpios.
# Turn PTT gpio on & off & check result
#
# Turn right connector PTT on
# ptt_ctrl.sh -r on
#
# Turn right connector PTT off
# ptt_ctrl.sh -r off
#
# Turn left connector PTT on
# ptt_ctrl.sh -l on
#
# Turn left connector PTT off
# ptt_ctrl.sh -l off
#
# Read left connector PTT GPIO value
# ptt_ctrl.sh -l -c
#
# Read right connector PTT GPIO value
# ptt_ctrl.sh -r -c

/Basil n7nix

blackbicbiro@gmail.com writes:

Anyone have issue with PTT getting stuck on?

I have an ic-7000 plugged in. I have flrig set to gpio PTT on pin 12
as suggested by the setup guides. I have wsjtx set to flrig and Cat
control PTT. When I TX from wsjtx the radio keys and transmits but
doesn't stop. The PTT is on permently. The only way to stop it is
going back into flrig and turn of gpio ptt and re enable it.

It's really frustrating and struggling to work out what causes it
Could it be RFI?
Is the gpio output isolated? So I need some kind of choke on the 6pin?

Anyone else experienced it.

If not then the hunt to the cause will go on

73, Rob M6bzg

Corky

Using both cat and GPIO to control PTT is a bad idea as it frequently ends up exactly where you are as the two are not synchronized. Use one or the other, but not both. Using the IC 7000, I prefer to use the GPIO for PTT and only use cat for radio control/configuration (i.e., PTT via CAT is disabled).

Thanks,
-Corky, AF4PM

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM
On 3/21/21 2:37 PM, blackbicbiro@... wrote:

Anyone have issue with PTT getting stuck on?

I have an ic-7000 plugged in. I have flrig set to gpio PTT on pin 12 as suggested by the setup guides. I have wsjtx set to flrig and Cat control PTT. When I TX from wsjtx the radio keys and transmits but doesn't stop. The PTT is on permently. The only way to stop it is going back into flrig and turn of gpio ptt and re enable it.

It's really frustrating and struggling to work out what causes it
Could it be RFI?
Is the gpio output isolated? So I need some kind of choke on the 6pin?

Anyone else experienced it.

If not then the hunt to the cause will go on

73
Rob
M6bzg

To add to Corky’s point. Rig control over a serial port is a high latency path when compared to GPIO which is the preferred method. DRAWS has an Open-Collector Transistor buffer, so the GPIO is not directly connected to the MDIN6.

73,
Bryan K7UDR
NW Digital Radio

Rob Paddock

Cheers guys.
When I get a chance to poke my rig I will have abit more of a look
I had disabled cat PTT and only used GPIO only. Didn't seem to help.

My pi is sitting close to my rig and is quite close to other cables. will move it all apart abit and see if that helps. It's strange it doesn't do it when I use the TUNE button in wsjtx but only after doing a successfully TX.

I think I will do a $gpio readall command as well next time it get stuck on to see if the pi thinks it's switches off but it is an actually issue with the gpio pin output

All good fun :-)

Rob
M6bzg

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, 01:41 Corky Searls, <af4pm@...> wrote:
[...]

so does look to be like an RFI issue i was getting. did a bit of house keeping. Separated the 6pin-din away from from the coax best as possible.

Spent the evening making contacts all over Europe! thanks guys.

m6bzg
Rob
73