Create own image for KX3 #setup #applications #settings #database

Erwin OE1EKG

Hi,

I want to make my own image with the Draws Hat and installed the "build a pi" (but it is the same result on a blank raspberry installation). Then followed the instructions on the web page and added those lines in the config:
dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1
After reboot the Hat is not recognized.
Testing the interfaces:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /dev/serial/by-id

Results:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 May  3 18:21 usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AH034AU9-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0

So only the USB for controlling the KX3 is recognized

But I still was not able to control the KX3 with Flrig cause the USB0 is not recognized in the Flrig settings. Neither with: /dev/ttyUSB0 nor with : /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AH034AU9-if00-port0

Another test:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /dev/serial/by-id
usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AH034AU9-if00-port0

What is wrong with this settings?

In parallel I installed the basic image from nw-digital radio and the flrig, fldigi, WSJTX and JS8Call are running

So it looks like, that it is necessary to make additional installs on a blank image - but no hint to this available. Maybe It is a small fault or misunderstanding in the setup. Why I want to take the "build a pi" is that there are more progs I want to use without fiddling with single installation on the Draws image.

73 de Erwin, OE1EKG

See https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/rpi_kernel_upgrade_problem/80693797?

Basil only provides support for NWDR images, but the information on this thread will help understand your problem.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 9:55 AM <erwin.grabler@...> wrote:
[...]

Kingston, WA
K7VE / WRJT-215

Basil Gunn

I only support the NWDR image. A lot of time has gone into making sure
things run properly in that environment. If you have a DRAWS hat I
haven't seen a compelling reason not to use the NWDR image.

Why I want to take the "build a pi" is that there are more progs I
want to use without fiddling with single installation on the Draws
image.
Which programs?

Having said that ...

If you use your own custom image the most common problem is that the
Raspbian kernel was broken sometime between 12/15/2020 & 01/07/2021

The last kernel that had a working tlv320aic driver required by DRAWS
was version: 5.4.83

The earliest kernel that has fixes for this driver and a couple of other
problems is version: 5.10.31 which has NOT been released by the Raspbian
Pi Foundation.

To display your current kernel version:

uname -r

If you use the following command you will get a bleeding edge
(unreleased) kernel from Raspbian that 'should' have the kernel fixes.

sudo rpi-upgrade

If you are NOT using the NWDR image I would recommend getting my scripts
anyways to help debug things. As user pi:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git

cd
git clone https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix
cd n7nix/config
./bin_refresh.sh

Now run the bug info script and post the results.

buginfo.sh

To verify that you are running the latest versions of the HF programs

cd
cd n7nix/hfprogs

./hf_verchk.sh -l

# You should see something like the following which shows the installed
# versions of HF programs on your system.

js8call: 2.2.0
wsjtx: 2.3.1
fldigi: 4.1.18
flrig: 1.3.54
flmsg: 4.0.17
flamp: 2.2.05
fllog: 1.2.6
Library: libhamlib IS loaded.
hamlib: 4.1
Library: libflxmlrpc IS loaded.
flxmlrpc: 0.1.4

erwin.grabler@artcom.cc writes:

[...]

Thanks Basil and John,

will try this on a fresh installation -  step by step and take care of the kernel. I will tell you the results from the "Checkpoints" maybe it is helpful for others too..

Cause I want to use more the digital modes some additional programs are therefore required:
  • For WINLINK: PAT, ARDOPC, ARDOPGUI,
  • Additional for JS8Call: JS8CallUtilities_V2, js8call_aprsmessaging_interface, (QRZLookup), RealtimeLogUpload
Thanks for the great support.

73 de Erwin, OE1EKG

Erwin OE1EKG

Hi Basil,

I went a step back from my goals and installed a fresh NWDR image and did step by step the instructions, also keep the "old" kernel. So far as I can say and the programs I can test: FLrig, Fldigi, Wsjt, Js8call and Claws are running. So with this I#m quite happy.
Next I want to install PAT and Headless Pi so I'll report about the results - on the other hand if somebody has hints for this, this would be very wellcome.

73 de Erwin
OE1EKG

Chris - KC9AD

Erwin,

Since Raspbian has built-in support for VNC, that’s what I and a lot of my ham friends use for headless remote control. You can do either a local network connection over Ethernet using your Pi’s IP address, or you can take advantage of RealVNC’s cloud support feature to reach your Pi over the Internet using its hostname. Both work great. Good luck. 73.

Chris KC9AD