Hardware question about power

Tad Smedes

So I am finally getting around to building up my DRAWs, and have a question that I can't seem to find doccumentation about.

There is a white 2 pin connector on the DRAWs, I am guessing I can put anderson power pole connectors on the pig tail that came with my case and plug that into my rigrunner power distribution block and be all set.  Will this also power the PI or do I need to still plug that into micro USB?

What is the black 8 pin connector for?

Thanks in advance from an electronics novice.
-Tad Smedes
K8TCS
N-Scale

Basil Gunn

There is a white 2 pin connector on the DRAWs, I am guessing I can put
anderson power pole connectors on the pig tail that came with my case
and plug that into my rigrunner power distribution block and be all
set. Will this also power the PI
Yes

or do I need to still plug that into micro USB?
Either power with 12V with the connector on the DRAWS board OR use the
micro USB on the RPi. NEVER both at once.

What is the black 8 pin connector for?
Scroll to bottom of page
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/files/DRAWSTech.pdf

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DRAWS_AUX_PORT.md

Thanks in advance from an electronics novice.
-Tad Smedes
K8TCS
N-Scale

KI5EVJ - Richard

Basil,

I'm newbie #2. So I can power the DRAWS/Pi with the power cable that came with the Pi? The cord that came with the DRAWS, what do people use for connectors and power sources so the power goes to the HAT?

Thanks,
Richard
KI5EVJ

Basil Gunn

Richard,

The thing to remember is you can either use the 5.1V wall wart that came
with the Pi OR 12V connector on the DRAWS board. Use either OR but not
both at the same time. I find it convenient to use the same power supply
that powers my radio.

So I can power the DRAWS/Pi with the power cable that came with the
Pi?
Depends. What does the power cable look like and what kind of RPi do you
have? If you bought some sort of Pi package that comes with a wall wart
look at the wall wart to see what current it is rated for ie. RPi 2,3
usually come with a 2.5A wart and RPi 4 have a 3.5A wart.

You can NOT power the Pi 400 with a DRAWS board.

The cord that came with the DRAWS, what do people use for connectors
and power sources so the power goes to the HAT?
You will need a 12V power supply to power your radio. I use an Alinco
DM-330MV that I am happy with.

I use Anderson Power Poles from the power supply plugged into some sort
of Power Pole distribution block that can feed my radio and RPi's.

Using the link below scroll down you can see a picture of a rig runner in my truck
* [[https://github.com/n7nix/nixtracker | Truck set up]]

Some links that may be helpful.

* [[https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dm-330mvt | Alinco DM-330MV 32A power supply]]

* [[http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigrunner.php | West Mountain Radio Rig Runner]]
* [[http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4006u | Rig Runner 4006U]]
* [[http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4005_c | Rig Runner 4005]]
* [[https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1126 | MFJ 1126]] - 8 Anderson Power Pole outlets
* [[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5CQ71S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details | Deimcdy Car Fuse Kit 140pcs Car Fuses Assortment Kit]]

* [[https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GHB6X64/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 | pre made 5.5mm to Power Pole connector cable]]

Hope that helps.
/Basil N7NIX

KI5EVJ - Richard

Basil,

Thanks for the info. I have a Pi 4 from Canakit. The wall wart is 3.5A output.

I will check out your other links.

Many thanks,
Richard
ALI5EVJ

Robert Ferrell

Hi Basil,

I'm sort of old and sort of new at this too.

The suggestion is to back feed power to the PI via the 12v pigtail to the hat due to some of the "less than optimal" wall warts that sometimes are used.

That said, I'm using a Cannakit Raspberry PI 4 with the supplied wall wart with my DRAWS hat/PI and I've seen no power issues so far.  Your mileage may vary.

I'm also using a "less than optimal" radio and home brew cable with my hat too, so...

Best regards,
Bruce
KM6KEF

On 5/11/21 9:09 PM, Richard Gilbert via groups.io wrote:
Basil,

I'm newbie #2. So I can power the DRAWS/Pi with the power cable that came with the Pi? The cord that came with the DRAWS, what do people use for connectors and power sources so the power goes to the HAT?

Thanks,
Richard
KI5EVJ

Basil Gunn

The suggestion is to back feed power to the PI via the 12v pigtail to
the hat due to some of the "less than optimal" wall warts that
sometimes are used.
Yes, the assumption is since you are a HAM all your gear probably runs
on 12V.

That said, I'm using a Canakit Raspberry PI 4 with the supplied wall
wart with my DRAWS hat/PI and I've seen no power issues so far. Your
mileage may vary.
I concur. I have had NO problems with any of the wall warts purchased
from Canakit (https://www.canakit.com/). Having said that most of my
wall warts are in a box and I use the same power supply as my radio to
power my Pi.

When you use a less than ideal power supply (volts < 5.1) for your RPi
you will see a variety of symptoms that may be difficult to debug.