NWDR20.2 & NWDR21 image release announcement

Basil Gunn

Yes 2 images.

After spending some time trying to upgrade nwdr20.1 image to the new
Raspbian release based on Debian Bullseye 11.1, I have concluded that
currently (Nov 14) it is not possible to do that. If you attempt to
follow some instructions on how to do a distribution upgrade you WILL
make your SD card unbootable.

Let me say that again. Updating your nwdr image from buster to
bullseye will render your SD card unbootable.

You can tell which Debian/Raspbian release currently being used by:

cat /etc/*release

On the download site: http://nwdig.net/downloads/ there 2 images in the
download directory nwdr20.2.img.xz, nwdr21.img.xz.

current_image.img.xz is a symbolic link to nwdr20.2.img.xz which is
based on buster and is a refresh of the nwdr20.1 image.

The nwdr21.img.xz image is based on bullseye and is a clean re-install
of all the programs. This means you may find problems and if you do I
will fix them ASAP.

Both images use Linux kernel 5.10.63-v7l+ #1459 and work with UDRC
II/DRAWS hats.

See ChangeLog file for more information.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/ChangeLog

Below is snippet from one of the many Internet sites on how to upgrade
from buster to bullseye

"It's worth noting from the start that upgrading Raspberry Pi OS from
Buster (based on Debian 10 Buster) to Bullseye (based on Debian 11
Bullseye) is not officially supported because there are important
changes between major Debian version upgrades, and the recommended way
to get it is to create a new SD card with the new release. The system
may break (some things may not work, it may not be able to boot, etc.)
when upgrading!"

/Basil n7nix

Erwin OE1EKG

Hello Basil,

after a long time I can write some feedback. First, the latest image 20.1 was the first one which was more ore less out of the box for me - straight forward and fast to implement - great job.

Today I gave the new image 21 a try. After the first boot I got 2 error screens that the HAT couldn't be found. Second, when I switch to VNC for the going forward in the installation and initialization of the programs the response (mouse, keyboard) was very slow - on LAN and WLAN VNC. So it is not workable. Only with a direct connection (mouse, keyboard, screen) to the raspy it is workable. I did a second fresh SD card but with the same problem. One remark, it is not possible - or I was not able to find out how to change the screen resolution. In the raspy-config the setting ist not available anymore.
Switched back to my 20.1 SD card it runs without a problem.

I have a Pi 4 so resources shouldn't be a problem.

73 de Erwin, OE1EKG

I have tried to utilize NWDR21 a couple of times without success. Today I took a new 32gig mSDcard and loaded NWDR21 to it. the image was successful but when it booted I received two errors in the upper right corner of the HDMI screen. The first error = "Failed to load HAT overlay." the second error = "dterror. not a valid FDT -err -9."

aplay - l resulted in:

pi@Draws:~ $ aplay -l
card 0: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@Draws:~ $

Following the instructions located here: https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921 I ran ./initcfg.sh which provided the following errors:

pi@Draws:~/n7nix/config $ sudo su root@Draws:/home/pi/n7nix/config# ./app_config.sh rmsgw app_config.sh: script start Enter call sign, followed by [enter]: KR4PI Configure RMS Gateway rmsgw config START Check for required files ... app_config.sh: RMS Gateway not installed properly app_config.sh: Need to Install rmschanstat program app_config.sh: RMS Gateway not installed properly app_config.sh: Need to Install rmsgw program app_config.sh: RMS Gateway not installed properly app_config.sh: Need to Install rmsgw_aci program root@Draws:/home/pi/n7nix/config#

I followed the instructions on the wiki page but apparently, I have missed something.

Thanks for all the help.

Rich, KR4PI

Basil Gunn

Rich,
This just an acknowledgment that I have read your post.
I do NOT see anything wrong with your procedure.

On the bullseye image I have also seen:
"Failed to load HAT overlay." the second error =
and "dterror. not a valid FDT -err -9."

Since this is a relatively new Raspbian release I assumed they would fix
those problems in the future.

The RMSGW config is on me and I will fix that in the next couple of
days.

Other things I have found with the new bullseye release
wsjt-x & js8call packages have a problem with a wsjtx-data dependency. I
can only install one at a time.

chrony was not installed/configured
Wrong country code is set.

The problems described above, and I am sure there are others, is why I
released a new buster image as well (nwdr20.2)

Thanks for supplying console output. I will fix the problems and release
a new nwdr21 image as soon as I can.

/Basil

Rich KR4PI <rich.schnieders@...> writes:

[...]

Thanks Basil, you are the best. I await the new release.

Rich KR4PI

ke7kus@...

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 07:44 AM, Rich KR4PI wrote:
"Failed to load HAT overlay."
Rich,

I just upgraded a RasPi4 to the latest Raspberry Pi OS bullseye image (2021-10-30-raspios-bullseye-armhf) and also got a "Failed to load HAT overlay" error at boot.  My sub-error was slightly different than yours, but I think I've come up with the simple fix (for now):

In /boot/config.txt I added the line "force_eeprom_read=0" just above my "dtoverlay=draws:alsaname=udrc" line.  The final version of /boot/config.txt pertaining to my UDRC-II config looks like this:

force_eeprom_read=0
dtoverlay=draws:alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

Prior to implementing the fix, RasPiOS wouldn't recognize the UDRC-II at boot.  After the above fix and a reboot, the OS recognized the UDRC, I was able to configure the UDRC levels with Basil's "setalsa-udrc-din6.sh" script, and tested using JS8Call with no issues.  Hardware was a RasPi4 (4GB) with a UDRC-II.

Source document which led to the fix:  https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=323705

Hope this helps.
73,
Kurt
KE7KUS

Basil Gunn

"Failed to load HAT overlay."
The 2 error messages seen in the upper right hand corner of a bullseye
display are not related to UDRC or DRAWS and have been fixed in the
current raspbian kernel. (nwdr21.2.img does not have this problem)

Prior to implementing the fix, RasPiOS wouldn't recognize the UDRC-II
at boot
The /boot/config.txt entry for the proper UDRC overlay is:

dtoverlay=udrc

The DRAWS overlay (/boot/overlays/draws.dtbo) is different than the UDRC
overlay (/boot/overlays/udrc.dtbo)

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 10:04 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
The 2 error messages seen in the upper right hand corner of a bullseye
display are not related to UDRC or DRAWS and have been fixed in the
current raspbian kernel. (nwdr21.2.img does not have this problem)
Thanks for the help, Basil.  I modified /boot/config.txt as you indicated and rebooted into RasPi OS running the 5.10.92-v7l+ kernel and had the same issue as described above.

Initial /boot/config.txt:
dtoverlay=udrc
force_turbo=1

I still received the two error messages at the top right of the main display, the top of which is still the "Failure to load HAT overlay".  I checked the /boot/overlays directory for the presence of udrc.dtbo and it was present.  The OS did not register the UDRC, as it did not appear in the "aplay -l" listing.

I went back and added "dtoverlay=" to the first line of the /boot/config.txt file and all worked OK after that with no errors on boot:

Final /boot/config.txt:
dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=udrc
force_turbo=1