Topics

Adding a second radio

J P Watters

Our club has a DRAWS using a single radio that we have configured to run as a digipeater and Winlink X.25 access using telnet to the CMS servers.

The single radio is configured for 1200 baud X.25 Packet Digipeating with access to a Winlink RMS. Our affiliation with the statewide packet network limits that channel to 1200 baud digipeating and Winlink X.25 access. They also exclude APRS data on that channel. We can specify in the Winlink client a VIA to connect to another site with HF access to Winlink.

We would like to add a second radio on the second DRAWS interface to support 9600 baud, APRS Data and possibly a FBB instance.

Is there information on adding a second interface?

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO
Morris, IL

You can add the second channel in direwolf.conf

Similar to udrc-ii

Use DRAWS™ Manager to set left and right radio channels.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 19:52 J P Watters via Groups.Io <kc9kko=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Our club has a DRAWS using a single radio that we have configured to run as a digipeater and Winlink X.25 access using telnet to the CMS servers.

The single radio is configured for 1200 baud X.25 Packet Digipeating with access to a Winlink RMS. Our affiliation with the statewide packet network limits that channel to 1200 baud digipeating and Winlink X.25 access. They also exclude APRS data on that channel. We can specify in the Winlink client a VIA to connect to another site with HF access to Winlink.

We would like to add a second radio on the second DRAWS interface to support 9600 baud, APRS Data and possibly a FBB instance.

Is there information on adding a second interface?

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO
Morris, IL

Basil Gunn

I think you want a second ax.25 channel, which should already be
configured.

In a console run this:

ifconfig
or
ip a show

You should see ax0, your first ax.25 channel on the left connector & ax1
the second ax.25 channel on the right connector.
You need to set the baud rate you want (9600) in /etc/direwolf.conf
under "Channel 1 Properties". Change the MODEM 1200 line to MODEM 9600.

By default the left & right channels are always configured so it
shouldn't be too difficult to get the second channel going. The hard
part is that 9600 baud packet requires you to set deviation more
precisely than 1200 baud packet. Having access to a service monitor
helps.

Let me know how you make out.

/Basil

J P Watters via Groups.Io <kc9kko=mac.com@groups.io> writes:

Our club has a DRAWS using a single radio that we have configured to
run as a digipeater and Winlink X.25 access using telnet to the CMS
servers.

The single radio is configured for 1200 baud X.25 Packet Digipeating
with access to a Winlink RMS. Our affiliation with the statewide
packet network limits that channel to 1200 baud digipeating and
Winlink X.25 access. They also exclude APRS data on that channel. We
can specify in the Winlink client a VIA to connect to another site
with HF access to Winlink.

We would like to add a second radio on the second DRAWS interface to
support 9600 baud, APRS Data and possibly a FBB instance.

Is there information on adding a second interface?

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO
Morris, IL

jdfiberops@n9jxn.net

Basil,

To take this one step further, can you add a HF rig as a second radio running ARDOP with the first radio running ax.25?

Thank you,
Jeff, N9JXN

On Oct 9, 2019, at 11:27 PM, Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

[...]

Hi J P,

Thank you for your reply. John Hays means well, but his reply did not
get me the traction that I expected.
John & I have 2 different philosophies regarding packet. He gave advice
on how to do everything in direwolf and I like to keep direwolf as a
sound modem only & use the AX.25 functionality of Linux.
John has done some great work on configuring virtual sound card interfaces so
that you can do 1200 baud & 9600 baud packet on the same radio.

And Yes I have a service monitor to set the deviation. It makes it alot easier :)
Yep.

Another Topic will be the FBB that is installed as part of the BETA14
Build. Where is the FBB documentation? The FBB install script?
So this is a project I briefly got working but don't use day to day. I
think BBS are useful so that is on my list of things for permanent
infrastructure. The latest version (7.08-beta8 from SourceForge) is
built & installed on the image.

The documentation I have been using is here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linfbb/files/

BTW we edited the URONODE config file and ran the install, an it appears to work.
Great to hear!

I think that direwolf.conf edits are all that are needed.
Depends on your philosophy.

How do we enable the APRS Gateway? I think it is just the list of attributes for “Channel 1"
Only on the second channel?
I use APRX for APRS embedded systems. ie. no monitor
See: 4.5 A Bi-Directional Cross-band Digipeater in this manual
https://thelifeofkenneth.com/aprx/aprx-manual.pdf

You can just use Direwolf but I won't be able to help you with that. The
direwolf documentation is very good & if you go that route I recommend
you read the entire manual carefully.

Our Statewide only will permit digipeating, winlink, FBB messaging on the first Channel. (FBB install another challenge that we will make later.)
They only support 1200baud on the first channel. Our club will support 9600baud on the other channel.

ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
ARATE 48000
ACHANNELS 2
CHANNEL 0
MYCALL YOURCALLSIGN-7
MODEM 1200
PTT GPIO 12
CHANNEL 1
MODEM 9600
PTT GPIO 12
MYCALL YOURCALLSIGN-10
AGWPORT 8000
KISSPORT 8001
PBEACON delay=1 every=10 overlay=S symbol="digi" lat=41^20.68734N long=88^28.39224W power=100 height=20 gain=6 comment="UDRC" via=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
DIGIPEAT 0 0 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE
IGSERVER noam.aprs2.net
IGLOGIN YOURCALLSIGN 9147
PBEACON sendto=IG delay=0:30 every=60:00 symbol="igate" overlay=R lat=41^20.68734N long=88^28.39224W

One of the things that I don’t understand is how an instance running on a raspberry pi with two changes knows how to route traffic from Channel 0 (ie 1200 baud )
to Channel 1 ( 9600 baud ).
See: 4.5 A Bi-Directional Cross-band Digipeater in this manual
https://thelifeofkenneth.com/aprx/aprx-manual.pdf

At our tower site, we have a pair of radios one on 145.610 and 147.555 and a Raspberry PI running a DRAWS with 2 channels.
Our State Packet Team insists on 145.610 running 1200baud, and only Digipeating, FBB Access and Winlink Client access.
For the tower site
KB9SZK-7 X.25
KB9SZK-10 Winlink RMS (Telnet access to WinLink CMS servers)
KB9SZK-1 APRS and FBB
The Tower site has a Sprint internet connection to provide APRS Server access and Winlink Telnet access.

At our EOC we are running 147.555, a HF rig for ARDOP access to Winlink, and a raspberry PI

For the EOC site 9600baud on 147.555
KB9SZK-8 X.25
KB9SZK-11 Winlink RMS (Telnet access to WinLink CMS servers or ARDOP access via HF if needed)
KB9SZK-2 APRS and FBB

Questions are:
How do we configure routing such that a station connecting on 145.610 at 1200baud, digipeats the packets on the 147.555 so that the the station can find the FBB server at the EOC.
Need more detailed explanation (maybe a diagram) of what you want to do. Just describe a
scenario. I believe Uronode will provide the functionality that you want.

How do we limit the Raspberry PI’s so that we don’t have APRS traffic on the 145.610 channel. ie the Tower Site Raspberry PI.

And then how do we configure the FBB that is in the build. Can we install FBB so messages are automatically copied from the EOC raspberry PI to the Tower Site Raspberry PI,
There are ways available to sync BBS's. I haven't done it but I know
it's possible.

Again Thanks!!!!
An Extra Thank you for your efforts. Most do not have any idea of how hard you have to work to keep up with the masses. :)

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO
Morris, IL

[...]

Jim Erickson

Thanks for these ideas everyone.  I’m just in the middle of setting up my DRAWS Pi with two radios, one doing APRS and the other running LinBPQ for a BBS.  Very interested to hear about APRX and LinFBB, neither of which I had heard of before.

I would also be interested to hear in the reasoning behind the two different philosophies, advantages and disadvantages.  I’m currently doing it all through Direwolf as that’s the only way I know how, but have been dipping my toes in to the AX.25 stack as I’ve been playing with LinBPQ.

So much to learn and so much to read.  I appreciate all the work done and would also appreciate any other resources regarding these two different methods of doing packet radio with a Raspberry Pi.

------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ - Other

J P Watters via Groups.Io <kc9kko@...> writes:

Our club has a DRAWS using a single radio that we have configured to
run as a digipeater and Winlink X.25 access using telnet to the CMS
servers.

The single radio is configured for 1200 baud X.25 Packet Digipeating
with access to a Winlink RMS. Our affiliation with the statewide
packet network limits that channel to 1200 baud digipeating and
Winlink X.25 access. They also exclude APRS data on that channel. We
can specify in the Winlink client a VIA to connect to another site
with HF access to Winlink.

We would like to add a second radio on the second DRAWS interface to
support 9600 baud, APRS Data and possibly a FBB instance.

Is there information on adding a second interface?

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO
Morris, IL

Jack Spitznagel

Jim, Basil and John, All,

I would like to hear that explained as well. I started with John's approach early after DRAWS became available, then switched over to Basil's install script with the AX25 internals in Raspbian. They both work for me, but I was doing "quick and dirty" evals of the beta images when I set things up. I found that the Direwolf alone approach was easier for switching from AX.25 to HF modem function. I have to work at 'script-kiddie" level in Linux. I am busy with real work and I need to reconfigure it so very little that I have to go back and reference my notes (which are not great) each time I fire up. I would love to see an install choice be offered in the configuration scripts.

John, Basil, is that easily do-able without creating internal dissension or is it a philosophic divide you would rather not bridge?

No doubt there are good reasons for both approaches... however, I am a realist and know I will not get time to go "larval stage" with the OS until I retire, so as smooth and efficient as Basil's approach may be, it seems less flexible than having GUI access to Direwolf, being able to check its status and shut it down without bringing up a terminal or creating a bunch of icons linked to scripts that switch things for me. Typical lazy ham, I guess.

In the meantime I have a DRAWS in my "go-box" for portable digital work and one on the desk here running Xastir as a fill-in digi and inet gateway for local 144.39 users.

Thanks for all of your hard work supporting this little beast!
--
Jack - KD4IZ

Jack, Jim, et al --

The two approaches meet different needs.

I use both, depending on what applications I am trying to support.

If the applications you are trying to support require the Linux AX.25 stack, then Basil's scripts and setup are the better solution.  This tends to be a lot of historical applications for Keyboard to Keyboard, BBS, IP over AX.25, AX.25 over IP, ... and can also support newer applications in the Winlink and APRS world.

However, direwolf, in addition to being the modem can support many functions without the need for the Linux AX.25 stack.  It can directly support digipeating, APRS®, Igating, beaconing (including GPS parsing), KISS, Network KISS/AGW, APRS® TouchTone™, and more.  All via configuration in direwolf.conf with fewer 'moving parts'. I consider it a simpler approach, if it meets your needs.

The choice is driven by application requirements and user preference.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 9:51 AM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
[...]

Kingston, WA
K7VE

The two approaches meet different needs.

I use both, depending on what applications I am trying to support.

If the applications you are trying to support require the Linux AX.25 stack, then Basil's scripts and setup are the better solution. This tends to be a lot of historical applications for Keyboard to Keyboard, BBS, IP over AX.25, AX.25 over IP, ... and can also support newer applications in the Winlink and APRS world.

However, direwolf, in addition to being the modem can support many functions without the
And you can install either LinBPQ or JNOS to do packet without the
complexity of dealing with the Linux AX.25 stack. (Not saying that
LinBPQ or JNOS are less complex....)

Bill

Basil Gunn

And you can install either LinBPQ or JNOS to do packet without the
complexity of dealing with the Linux AX.25 stack. (Not saying that
LinBPQ or JNOS are less complex....)
The Linux AX.25 stack comes with the kernel and is installed on our
image and configured with my scripts taking the complexity out of
dealing with Linux AX.25 stack. Bill you should try it some time.

You can use LinBPQ or JNOS, I think they are good pieces of software but
I don't support them.

/Basil