Another guy trying to set DRAWS Hat levels for an IC-7000 #draws #ic-7000

Russ Harper

Hello to the group.

I purchased a DRAWS Hat last year and tried to get it working with my IC-7000 to run Pat Winlink on the RPI3+.  I knew virtually nothing about digital modes, so wasn't successful - reception was good, but no station received my transmissions.  I figured out that I needed to set levels, but was over my head at the time.

Fast forward to this year.  I purchased a new IC-7300 and got it working with Pat WInlink on the RPI4 using the internal -7300 internal sound card.  Through that process I learned a lot more about digital.

Now I'm revisiting the -7000, and have tried to set levels after watching the "Setting the TX Level on the NW DIgital Radio DRAWS Hat" video.  I also saw post # 5611 by Corky detailing some specific steps due to potential conflicts between fldigi and alsamixer.

I followed the specific steps, using draws-manager and alsamixer in tandem.  I used alsamixer to reduce pcm to zero, saw the value of -47.5 dB, and used draws-manager to set that value.  I started flrig, then fldigi.  The result was 4 bars ALC on the rig when commanded by the TX button in fldigi.  That seemed strange, so I shut down flrig & fldigi and repeated the process with a value of -25 dB, and got the same result.  Finally, I used a value of -10 dB and got the same result.

Prior to starting, I did a git pull for both the distribution and draws-manager, so both should be current.

The rig operates well on SSB.

Any recommendations or insights would be welcome; I see I'm not the only one working this issue.  Also please advise what information / details are needed for further insight.  The rig is set up with no preamp, no notch filter no noise reduction, no noise blanking, passband filter 2, fast AGC.

Thanks for developing and selling this great piece of kit.  This will be fantastic for portable ops with my old tech rig when it's sorted out.

Russ
KF5WBI

Corky

There is a setalsa_ic7000.sh script in the n7nix/bin directory (it should also be in pi p/bin if you ran the core setup). This should set all the necessary parameters for using the IC-7000 and properly set the levels for use with fldigi. Unless you ran the core setup, there are a number of other DRAWS parameters that need to be set to properly configure DRAWS.

The easiest answer is to run the core setup (This should only be run once, so if you have already done this there is no need to repeat) and then use the setting script for the audio levels.

If you still have difficulty come back here as I have an IC-7000 that I have been using for HF digital for several years and it works great.

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021, at 4:41 PM, Russ Harper via groups.io wrote:

Hello to the group.

I purchased a DRAWS Hat last year and tried to get it working with my IC-7000 to run Pat Winlink on the RPI3+.  I knew virtually nothing about digital modes, so wasn't successful - reception was good, but no station received my transmissions.  I figured out that I needed to set levels, but was over my head at the time.

Fast forward to this year.  I purchased a new IC-7300 and got it working with Pat WInlink on the RPI4 using the internal -7300 internal sound card.  Through that process I learned a lot more about digital.

Now I'm revisiting the -7000, and have tried to set levels after watching the "Setting the TX Level on the NW DIgital Radio DRAWS Hat" video.  I also saw post # 5611 by Corky detailing some specific steps due to potential conflicts between fldigi and alsamixer.

I followed the specific steps, using draws-manager and alsamixer in tandem.  I used alsamixer to reduce pcm to zero, saw the value of -47.5 dB, and used draws-manager to set that value.  I started flrig, then fldigi.  The result was 4 bars ALC on the rig when commanded by the TX button in fldigi.  That seemed strange, so I shut down flrig & fldigi and repeated the process with a value of -25 dB, and got the same result.  Finally, I used a value of -10 dB and got the same result.

Prior to starting, I did a git pull for both the distribution and draws-manager, so both should be current.

Any recommendations or insights would be welcome; I see I'm not the only one working this issue.  Also please advise what information / details are needed for further insight.  The rig is set up with no preamp, no notch filter no noise reduction, no noise blanking, passband filter 2, fast AGC.

Thanks for developing and selling this great piece of kit.  This will be fantastic for portable ops with my old tech rig when it's sorted out.

Russ
KF5WBI

Russ Harper

Hi, Corky.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I did run core setup and setalsa_ic7000.sh.  I noticed that the gain values produced by the script differed from those shown in n7nix/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md.  So I to determine the proper gain values via the process described in Brian's video and your post, varied the digital gain values and saw no change in rig ALC on TX from fldigi. I don't believe there is a problem with the 7000.

I do have access to some more sophisticated measurement capability via a Diligent Analog Discovery 2 (Oscilloscope and others) so can perhaps do some more investigation with a bit of direction.

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI

Jack Spitznagel

Corky,

The exchanges between you and Russ have inspired me to try to configure my DRAWS and IC-7000 to work with fldigi again. I will try to hunt down your earlier messages about this.

I played with it extensively not too long after the DRAWS early experience boards were released. At the time, I was able to use Basil’s IC-7000 setalsa bash script to get XASTIR (default core script install/Direwolf) to work well.  

Here is where things went south: So, fldigi did not work when the AX.25 setup was turned off, the rig switched to USB on an HF band, and when the setalsa-ic7000.sh settings are left alone. An attempt to use fldigi to transmit a basic RTTY diddle produces no sound except a background clicking and pulsing noise.

In order to hear any digital mode sound at all from the DRAWS, I have to max out the digital and analog gain using Manager and reduce the transmit attenuation in fldigi to 0.0. I can hear transmitted tones clearly but the rig shows no power and little indication of ALC. I can decode the fldigi generated RTTY on a in IC-705 once I can hear the tone, but I have no idea whether enough power is being produced to be useful, it certainly does not register on the meter.

I am now wondering if there are some rig settings that are wrong. Did you have to do anything rig specific to get HF output of the IC-7000 to be what it should?

I could post as clear a summary as I can with a couple of audio samples, if it would help.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Corky Searls
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 21:57
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] Another guy trying to set DRAWS Hat levels for an IC-7000 #ic-7000 #draws

There is a setalsa_ic7000.sh script in the n7nix/bin directory (it should also be in pi p/bin if you ran the core setup). This should set all the necessary parameters for using the IC-7000 and properly set the levels for use with fldigi. Unless you ran the core setup, there are a number of other DRAWS parameters that need to be set to properly configure DRAWS.

The easiest answer is to run the core setup (This should only be run once, so if you have already done this there is no need to repeat) and then use the setting script for the audio levels.

If you still have difficulty come back here as I have an IC-7000 that I have been using for HF digital for several years and it works great.

Thanks and 73,

-Corky, AF4PM

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021, at 4:41 PM, Russ Harper via groups.io wrote:

Hello to the group.

Russ

KF5WBI

Corky

Sorry, that you are having trouble. The values in the script represent the latest values for the IC-7000. Note that there are actually 3 gain adjustments on DRAWS and the script modifies all three.

I am currently not able to get to either my radio or the attached DRAWS control card, so I will not be able to fully test what you are seeing until this Saturday. In the mean time can you please provide the output from the alsa-show.sh script so I can see what settings you are using. Also, what are the gain and filter settings on the IC-7000?

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021, at 7:23 AM, Russ Harper via groups.io wrote:
Hi, Corky.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I did run core setup and setalsa_ic7000.sh.  I noticed that the gain values produced by the script differed from those shown in n7nix/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md.  So I to determine the proper gain values via the process described in Brian's video and your post, varied the digital gain values and saw no change in rig ALC on TX from fldigi. I don't believe there is a problem with the 7000.

I do have access to some more sophisticated measurement capability via a Diligent Analog Discovery 2 (Oscilloscope and others) so can perhaps do some more investigation with a bit of direction.

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI

Russ Harper

Hi, Corky.  I ran the setalsa-ic7000.sh script again after reading your post and tried again unsuccessfully.  Here is the alsa-show.sh script output:

pi@raspberrypi:~/n7nix $ alsa-show.sh
 ==== List All sound card device names (3)
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 2: udrc [udrc]

======= DRAWS
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB]    R:[-6.00dB]
PCM            L:[-26.50dB]    R:[-26.50dB]
DAC Playback PT    L:[P1]        R:[P1]
LO Playback CM    [Full Chip]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level    L:[-2.00dB]    R:[-2.00dB]
IN1        L:[Off]        R:[Off]
IN2        L:[10 kOhm]    R:[10 kOhm]
CM        L:[10 kOhm]    R:[10 kOhm]

Here is a screenshot of fldigi controlling the radio:

I'm using SSB filter 2, passband of 2.7k and shift frequency of -25, sharp shape.  I'm not sure what you mean by gain; I don't see a gain setting or control in the manual.

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI

Corky

Russ, this generally looks good. The gain I was asking about is the mic gain, and according to your flrig screenshot it is set at 51.  Two things to try. 1) reduce the mic gain to about 30 and 2) On the fldigi display at the lower right, there is an option to reduce the output sound level. Try setting that at -6 db ( I think the default is either -3 or zero, but I cannot remember at the moment).

Also, fyi, I have always operated the IC-7000 directly from fldigi not using flrig. So for me to do a fair test of your setup, I will need to get back to the radio and set up flrig as the radio control. When I do get back we can compare both radio and software configurations to get you operating.

To help with this followup please run and post the results of the showudrc.sh script.

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021, at 3:31 PM, Russ Harper via groups.io wrote:
Hi, Corky.  I ran the setalsa-ic7000.sh script again after reading your post and tried again unsuccessfully.  Here is the alsa-show.sh script output:

pi@raspberrypi:~/n7nix $ alsa-show.sh
 ==== List All sound card device names (3)
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 2: udrc [udrc]

======= DRAWS
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
DAC Playback PT    L:[P1]        R:[P1]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
CM        L:[10 kOhm]    R:[10 kOhm]

Here is a screenshot of fldigi controlling the radio:

I'm using SSB filter 2, passband of 2.7k and shift frequency of -25, sharp shape.  I'm not sure what you mean by gain; I don't see a gain setting or control in the manual.

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI

Attachments:
  • dummyfile.0.part

Russ Harper

Hi, Corky.

I tried both reducing mic gain to 30 (and 20) and setting the fldigi output sound level to -6 dB.  No joy with either.
showuddrc.sh output:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ showudrc.sh
==== Sound Card ====
udrc card number line: card 2: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]
udrc is sound card #2
==== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit ====
DAC Playback PT    L:[P1]    R:[P1]
==== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive ====

==== Pi Ver ====
 Pi 3 Model B+, Rev 1.3, Mfg by Sony UK with WiFi
Hardware    : BCM2835
Revision    : a020d3
Serial        : 0000000079fafa7e
Model        : Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

==== Pi Firmware VideoCore Ver ====
Jan  8 2021 14:33:35
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 194a85abd768c7334bbadc3f1911c10a7d18ed14 (clean) (release) (start)

==== Pi Firmware EEPROM Ver ====
unknown

==== Pi Firmware EEPROM Config ====

==== udrc Ver ====
Found a DRAWS

HAT ID EEPROM
Name:        hat
Product:     Digital Radio Amateur Work Station
Product ID:  0x0004
Product ver: 0x0108
UUID:        448322ba-7282-403f-af01-f41636432d8a
Vendor:      NW Digital Radio

==== sys Ver ====
----- image version
2020 12 04 13:45:55 PST: SD image version: nwdr18
----- /proc/version
Linux version 5.4.83-v7+ (dom@buildbot) (gcc version 8.4.0 (Ubuntu/Linaro 8.4.0-3ubuntu1)) #1379 SMP Mon Dec 14 13:08:57 GMT 2020

----- /etc/*version: 10.7

----- /etc/*release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

----- lsb_release
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Raspbian
Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:    10
Codename:    buster

---- systemd
   Static hostname: raspberrypi
         Icon name: computer
        Machine ID: 27ac1f0c20904cb7a960920e966db545
           Boot ID: 6ecb5bb731354a4aaa9734b5f9af4f38
  Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
            Kernel: Linux 5.4.83-v7+
      Architecture: arm
        sd card id: 1b534d4543315335303131555a0147d9

---- sound modules
snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4_i2c    16384  1161
snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4    40960  1 snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4_i2c
regmap_i2c             16384  3 ti_ads1015,sc16is7xx,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4_i2c
snd_soc_core          200704  4 snd_soc_simple_card_utils,snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4,snd_soc_simple_card
snd_pcm                94208  5 snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4,snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core
snd                    73728  22 snd_compress,snd_timer,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4,snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm

---- kernel
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name               Version      Architecture Description
+++-==================-============-============-=================================
ii  raspberrypi-kernel 1.20210108-1 armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader

---- Codec drivers
Found: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4-i2c.ko, OK
Found: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4.ko, OK
Directory: /proc/device-tree/soc/i2c@7e804000/tlv320aic32x4@18 exists and status is okay

---- syslog

---- dmesg

----- Dire Wolf version 1.6

==== Filesystem ====
/dev/root        59G  6.5G   51G  12% /

==== boot config ====
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
[pi4]
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
[all]
dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1
enable_uart=1
dtparam=audio=on

---- gpsd
/usr/local/sbin/gpsd
gpsd: 3.22 (revision 3.22)
● gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-03-31 09:37:39 CDT; 1 day 1h ago
  Process: 681 ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd $GPSD_OPTIONS $OPTIONS $DEVICES (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 683 (gpsd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 2063)
   CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
           └─683 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

Mar 31 09:37:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting GPS (Global Positioning Sy…n...
Mar 31 09:37:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started GPS (Global Positioning Sys…mon.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

---- chrony
crw-rw---- 1 root root    239, 0 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/pps0
crw------- 1 root root    239, 1 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/pps1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 237, 0 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/ttySC0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 237, 1 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/ttySC1
-- chrony sources
210 Number of sources = 6
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample              
===============================================================================
#? GPS                           0   3     0     -     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-    0ns
#? PPS                           0   3     0     -     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-    0ns
^+ 198.51-174-198.customer.>     2  10   377   242  -3992us[-3992us] +/-   86ms
^* unifi.versadns.com            2  10   377   320    +19us[ -484us] +/-   48ms
^- 23.157.160.168                2  10   177   662  -1097us[-1581us] +/-   80ms
^+ pool-71-168-219-127.cmdn>     2  10   237   543  -1758us[-2248us] +/-  100ms
-- chrony tracking
Reference ID    : 43CDA251 (unifi.versadns.com)
Stratum         : 3
Ref time (UTC)  : Thu Apr 01 15:51:01 2021
System time     : 0.000678836 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset     : -0.000503352 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.001127408 seconds
Frequency       : 8.517 ppm fast
Residual freq   : -0.010 ppm
Skew            : 0.309 ppm
Root delay      : 0.090375543 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.002527549 seconds
Update interval : 1031.0 seconds
Leap status     : Normal
-- chrony sourcestats
Name/IP Address            NP  NR  Span  Frequency  Freq Skew  Offset  Std Dev
==============================================================================
GPS                         0   0     0     +0.000   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms
PPS                         0   0     0     +0.000   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms
198.51-174-198.customer.>  12  10  207m     -0.122      0.257  -1077us   743us
unifi.versadns.com          9   5  173m     +0.165      0.499  +1276us   907us
23.157.160.168             16   8  465m     +0.325      0.298   +120us  2507us
pool-71-168-219-127.cmdn>   6   3  120m     -0.249      3.725  -1752us  2455us

---- sensors
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 209 Aug 21  2020 /etc/sensors.d/draws
iio_hwmon-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
+12V:        +13.64 V 
 +5V:         +5.00 V 
User ADC 1:   +0.00 V 
User ADC 2:   +0.00 V 

cpu_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +53.7°C 

rpi_volt-isa-0000
in0:              N/A 

---- throttle
temp=53.7'C
throttled=0x80000

---- locale
Locale country codes consistent among WiFi cfg file, iw reg & X11: US
core_config.sh has been run 1 time(s)

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI

Corky

Russ, thanks for sending this. One more thing, just to make sure I am working the "correct" issue as I think I may have several things mixed up. Can you please describe the physical setup, the problem you are having, and any information as to what you have tried that you have not already provided.?

All going well, I should be able to work this beginning Saturday morning.

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021, at 8:58 AM, Russ Harper via groups.io wrote:
Hi, Corky.

I tried both reducing mic gain to 30 (and 20) and setting the fldigi output sound level to -6 dB.  No joy with either.
showuddrc.sh output:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ showudrc.sh
==== Sound Card ====
udrc card number line: card 2: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]
udrc is sound card #2
==== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit ====
DAC Playback PT    L:[P1]    R:[P1]
==== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive ====

==== Pi Ver ====
 Pi 3 Model B+, Rev 1.3, Mfg by Sony UK with WiFi
Hardware    : BCM2835
Revision    : a020d3
Serial        : 0000000079fafa7e
Model        : Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

==== Pi Firmware VideoCore Ver ====
Jan  8 2021 14:33:35
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 194a85abd768c7334bbadc3f1911c10a7d18ed14 (clean) (release) (start)

==== Pi Firmware EEPROM Ver ====
unknown

==== Pi Firmware EEPROM Config ====

==== udrc Ver ====
Found a DRAWS

HAT ID EEPROM
Name:        hat
Product:     Digital Radio Amateur Work Station
Product ID:  0x0004
Product ver: 0x0108
UUID:        448322ba-7282-403f-af01-f41636432d8a
Vendor:      NW Digital Radio

==== sys Ver ====
----- image version
2020 12 04 13:45:55 PST: SD image version: nwdr18
----- /proc/version
Linux version 5.4.83-v7+ (dom@buildbot) (gcc version 8.4.0 (Ubuntu/Linaro 8.4.0-3ubuntu1)) #1379 SMP Mon Dec 14 13:08:57 GMT 2020

----- /etc/*version: 10.7

----- /etc/*release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

----- lsb_release
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Raspbian
Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:    10
Codename:    buster

---- systemd
   Static hostname: raspberrypi
         Icon name: computer
        Machine ID: 27ac1f0c20904cb7a960920e966db545
           Boot ID: 6ecb5bb731354a4aaa9734b5f9af4f38
  Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
            Kernel: Linux 5.4.83-v7+
      Architecture: arm
        sd card id: 1b534d4543315335303131555a0147d9

---- sound modules
snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4_i2c    16384  1161
snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4    40960  1 snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4_i2c
regmap_i2c             16384  3 ti_ads1015,sc16is7xx,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4_i2c
snd_soc_core          200704  4 snd_soc_simple_card_utils,snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4,snd_soc_simple_card
snd_pcm                94208  5 snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4,snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core
snd                    73728  22 snd_compress,snd_timer,snd_soc_tlv320aic32x4,snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm

---- kernel
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name               Version      Architecture Description
+++-==================-============-============-=================================
ii  raspberrypi-kernel 1.20210108-1 armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader

---- Codec drivers
Found: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4-i2c.ko, OK
Found: snd-soc-tlv320aic32x4.ko, OK
Directory: /proc/device-tree/soc/i2c@7e804000/tlv320aic32x4@18 exists and status is okay

---- syslog

---- dmesg

----- Dire Wolf version 1.6

==== Filesystem ====
/dev/root        59G  6.5G   51G  12% /

==== boot config ====
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
[pi4]
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
[all]
dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1
enable_uart=1
dtparam=audio=on

---- gpsd
/usr/local/sbin/gpsd
gpsd: 3.22 (revision 3.22)
● gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-03-31 09:37:39 CDT; 1 day 1h ago
  Process: 681 ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd $GPSD_OPTIONS $OPTIONS $DEVICES (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 683 (gpsd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 2063)
   CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
           └─683 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

Mar 31 09:37:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting GPS (Global Positioning Sy…n...
Mar 31 09:37:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started GPS (Global Positioning Sys…mon.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

---- chrony
crw-rw---- 1 root root    239, 0 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/pps0
crw------- 1 root root    239, 1 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/pps1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 237, 0 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/ttySC0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 237, 1 Mar 31 09:37 /dev/ttySC1
-- chrony sources
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample              
===============================================================================
#? GPS                           0   3     0     -     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-    0ns
#? PPS                           0   3     0     -     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-    0ns
^+ 198.51-174-198.customer.>     2  10   377   242  -3992us[-3992us] +/-   86ms
^* unifi.versadns.com            2  10   377   320    +19us[ -484us] +/-   48ms
^- 23.157.160.168                2  10   177   662  -1097us[-1581us] +/-   80ms
^+ pool-71-168-219-127.cmdn>     2  10   237   543  -1758us[-2248us] +/-  100ms
-- chrony tracking
Reference ID    : 43CDA251 (unifi.versadns.com)
Stratum         : 3
Ref time (UTC)  : Thu Apr 01 15:51:01 2021
System time     : 0.000678836 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset     : -0.000503352 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.001127408 seconds
Frequency       : 8.517 ppm fast
Residual freq   : -0.010 ppm
Skew            : 0.309 ppm
Root delay      : 0.090375543 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.002527549 seconds
Update interval : 1031.0 seconds
Leap status     : Normal
-- chrony sourcestats
Name/IP Address            NP  NR  Span  Frequency  Freq Skew  Offset  Std Dev
==============================================================================
GPS                         0   0     0     +0.000   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms
PPS                         0   0     0     +0.000   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms
198.51-174-198.customer.>  12  10  207m     -0.122      0.257  -1077us   743us
unifi.versadns.com          9   5  173m     +0.165      0.499  +1276us   907us
23.157.160.168             16   8  465m     +0.325      0.298   +120us  2507us
pool-71-168-219-127.cmdn>   6   3  120m     -0.249      3.725  -1752us  2455us

---- sensors
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 209 Aug 21  2020 /etc/sensors.d/draws
iio_hwmon-isa-0000
+12V:        +13.64 V 
 +5V:         +5.00 V 
User ADC 1:   +0.00 V 
User ADC 2:   +0.00 V 

cpu_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +53.7°C 

rpi_volt-isa-0000
in0:              N/A 

---- throttle
temp=53.7'C
throttled=0x80000

---- locale
Locale country codes consistent among WiFi cfg file, iw reg & X11: US
core_config.sh has been run 1 time(s)

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI

Russ Harper

Hi, Corky.

My objective is to run Pat Winlink on a RPI 3B+ with a DRAWS Hat connected to an IC-7000, and connect with K0SI on 40m.  I have connected to K0SI using a RPI4 running Pat WInlink and an IC-7300, using the internal sound card of the rig, requiring between 40 and 50 watts HF output.

My physical set-up is a RPI 3B+ with DRAWS Hat in the NW Digital Radio metal case, connected to the IC-7000 using the 6 pin DIN cable in the left port of the DRAWS Hat, and a USB C-IV cable connected to the rig.  The rig is using an IT-100 Autotuner connected to an off-center fed dipole.  I am powering the RPI 3B+ via the +12v input on the DRAWS Hat.  I use flrig for rig control, and run the ARDOP modem and Pat on the RPI 3B+.

The problem I am having is that I am not connecting with K0SI (or any ARDOP station on any band).  When running the ARDOP modem and Pat, I get good receive signal levels and some indication of decoding of transmissions on the frequency.  When attempting to connect using 50 watts RF output, the rig shows transmit with 4 bars on ALC, but no connect or negotiation with the ARDOP station.  I have read many threads on the DRAWS Hat, and the importance of setting audio output levels for optimum operation with digital modes (specifically avoiding distortion that will be rejected as poor signal by the receiving station).  I am having difficulty setting the output level on the DRAWS Hat for my IC-7000.  No matter what I do, the ALC level remains at 4 bars, even if I set the output via setalsa to 0 (approx. -47.5 dB).

The rig operates well on SSB (I don't have a way to measure RF output power objectively, I'm going on signal reports from QSOs).  I am not familiar with digital modes yet;  fldigi appears to operate the rig correctly and decodes some characters (gibberish since I'm not in the correct mode).  At this point I am questioning the audio output of the DRAWS Hat, and am interested in a way to measure that directly.  The problem could be in the rig or the DRAWS Hat, or some setting I have wrong.

I have set up and run JS8CALL on the rig and it operates correctly, decoding received transmissions and transmitting.  I have made QSOs on JS8CALL.

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI

Corky

Russ, The configuration you are looking to implement is one that I have used, so I know that it does work. One thing that would help with testing would be to have two radios set up and operational. I suggest that the IC-7000 be connected to a dummy load and your 7300 on an external antenna. This way you can both listen to the quality of the signal as well as use another computer connected to the 7300 to decode the signal and make sure everything is working fine.

The fact that everything works fine with JS8Call says that both the radio and the DRAWS board are operating properly, and the gains appear to be set fine. I have found that adrop seems to be rather unforgiving in terms of propagation. That is sometimes I can connect easily and other times not. I am guessing that you ran the 7300 and the 7000 essentially side-by-side? (i.e., connected successfully with the 7300 and then immediately tried the 7000 on the same antenna and it did not work?)

What band are you operating on as we might try an on-air test to see if we can assess signal quality ( will depend on propagation tomorrow)?

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, at 7:40 AM, Russ Harper via groups.io wrote:
Hi, Corky.

My objective is to run Pat Winlink on a RPI 3B+ with a DRAWS Hat connected to an IC-7000, and connect with K0SI on 40m.  I have connected to K0SI using a RPI4 running Pat WInlink and an IC-7300, using the internal sound card of the rig, requiring between 40 and 50 watts HF output.

My physical set-up is a RPI 3B+ with DRAWS Hat in the NW Digital Radio metal case, connected to the IC-7000 using the 6 pin DIN cable in the left port of the DRAWS Hat, and a USB C-IV cable connected to the rig.  The rig is using an IT-100 Autotuner connected to an off-center fed dipole.  I am powering the RPI 3B+ via the +12v input on the DRAWS Hat.  I use flrig for rig control, and run the ARDOP modem and Pat on the RPI 3B+.

The problem I am having is that I am not connecting with K0SI (or any ARDOP station on any band).  When running the ARDOP modem and Pat, I get good receive signal levels and some indication of decoding of transmissions on the frequency.  When attempting to connect using 50 watts RF output, the rig shows transmit with 4 bars on ALC, but no connect or negotiation with the ARDOP station.  I have read many threads on the DRAWS Hat, and the importance of setting audio output levels for optimum operation with digital modes (specifically avoiding distortion that will be rejected as poor signal by the receiving station).  I am having difficulty setting the output level on the DRAWS Hat for my IC-7000.  No matter what I do, the ALC level remains at 4 bars, even if I set the output via setalsa to 0 (approx. -47.5 dB).

The rig operates well on SSB (I don't have a way to measure RF output power objectively, I'm going on signal reports from QSOs).  I am not familiar with digital modes yet;  fldigi appears to operate the rig correctly and decodes some characters (gibberish since I'm not in the correct mode).  At this point I am questioning the audio output of the DRAWS Hat, and am interested in a way to measure that directly.  The problem could be in the rig or the DRAWS Hat, or some setting I have wrong.

I have set up and run JS8CALL on the rig and it operates correctly, decoding received transmissions and transmitting.  I have made QSOs on JS8CALL.

Thanks
Russ
KF5WBI