Anyone have the DRAWS functional on Ubuntu for RPi 20 or 21?

Mitch Winkle

Edited

I make extensive use of Qt for things such as MQTT and others.  The version on buster is 5.11.2 which is ancient.  Ubuntu and Manjaro seem to have newer versions.

Has anyone had success using the DRAWS card with an RPi3 or 4 and Ubuntu or Majaro?

Basil Gunn

The version on buster is 5.11.2 which is ancient.
Not sure what you mean by ancient.

The latest long term kernel version from kernel.org is 5.10.59 which was
released yesterday.

The current kernel in the Raspberry Pi Foundation repo is 5.10.52. The
Raspberry Pi Foundation uses the Raspbian maintained kernel which does
the best job of supporting the devices on the Raspberry Pi hardware.

If you want a newer (bleeding edge) kernel I recommend you get the
latest kernel source (next branch) from
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux and cross compile and install that
kernel.

If you need help building the kernel use 'Raspberry Pi Documentation'
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/computers/linux_kernel.html#default_configuration

I will say again you should cross compile the kernel on a decently fast
machine. Trying to build natively on a Pi takes way too long.

The first step after installing a new kernel is to run 'aplay -l' to confirm
the DRAWS/UDRC device is enumerated.

In terms of support you are mostly on your own.

Mitch Winkle <ab4mw@radcommsoft.com> writes:

[Edited Message Follows]

I make extensive use of Qt for things such as MQTT and others. The
version on buster is 5.11.2 which is ancient. Ubuntu and Manjaro seem
to have newer versions.

Has anyone had success using the DRAWS card with an RPi3 or 4 and
Ubuntu or Majaro?

Mitch Winkle

Qt version not kernel version

On 8/16/2021 10:33, Basil Gunn wrote:
[...]

How to Compile Qt from Source Code on Linux
https://www.ics.com/blog/how-compile-qt-source-code-linux

On 8/16/2021 10:33, Basil Gunn wrote:
The version on buster is 5.11.2 which is ancient.
Not sure what you mean by ancient.

Mitch Winkle

Oh I have done that.  Which is why I never want to do it again :)  A repo source is much more reliable long-term.  Alternately, I could install QtCreator I guess.  That's a hammer, but may work and requires painful discovery of the required system files along with the Qt libraries to make it all work right.  It can be challenging to make the end results portable that way.

If Ubuntu or Manjaro is "not possible" with the overlay to support DRAWS, that's all I really need to hear.  No need to flog it with the group.

On 8/16/2021 10:54, Basil Gunn wrote:
Qt version not kernel version
How to Compile Qt from Source Code on Linux
https://www.ics.com/blog/how-compile-qt-source-code-linux

Basil Gunn

If Ubuntu or Manjaro is "not possible" with the overlay to support
DRAWS, that's all I really need to hear.
The tlv320aic codec driver IS in the main line Linux kernel so it IS
"possible" that the Ubuntu, Manjaro kernels will support DRAWS. There is
other support for Pi hardware in the Raspbian kernel that "may" not be
in the Ubuntu, Manjaro kernels.

The only thing I can say is that the Raspbian kernel supports
the Pi hardware better than other kernels.

Mitch Winkle

Basil,

Understood.  I may give it a go to see if the card "lights up" after installing the usual audio suspects.  My uses are VERY specific to one application of my own creation (hence the need for recent Qt5 libraries).  I have an SD card with Ubuntu server on it now.  It'll be a matter of moving the DRAWS over and testing it out on the RPi4.

Thanks for the clarification!

Mitch