Topics

APRS Messenger

Chuck Berry

Has anyone had success running "APRS Messenger" on their DRAW? Thanks, Chuck  N7CHS

Corky Searls

Looks like MS Windows only software at the moment, so may be challenging depending on how it is implemented.

-Corky, AF4PM

On 7/25/19 5:49 PM, Chuck Berry wrote:
Has anyone had success running "APRS Messenger" on their DRAW? Thanks, Chuck  N7CHS

Chuck Berry

Has anyone had success running in under WINE?  Chuck

On 7/26/2019 10:00 AM, Corky Searls wrote:
Looks like MS Windows only software at the moment, so may be challenging depending on how it is implemented.

-Corky, AF4PM

On 7/25/19 5:49 PM, Chuck Berry wrote:
Has anyone had success running "APRS Messenger" on their DRAW? Thanks, Chuck  N7CHS

Basil Gunn

- closed source Windows app, so there's that
- DRAWS is a Raspberry Pi HAT so all the software uses CPU instruction
set based on the ARM processor not Intel
- If you want to run it under wine then you must use your Intel based
computer not a Raspberry Pi.

/Basil n7nix

Chuck Berry <n7chs.qsx@...> writes:

Has anyone had success running in under WINE? Chuck

On 7/26/2019 10:00 AM, Corky Searls wrote:
Looks like MS Windows only software at the moment, so may be
challenging depending on how it is implemented.

-Corky, AF4PM

On 7/25/19 5:49 PM, Chuck Berry wrote:
Has anyone had success running "APRS Messenger" on their DRAW?
Thanks, Chuck N7CHS

Does DRAWS work with the Atomic pi?  Awesome SBC, reasonable price and runs Windows since it's based on the Intel Atom SOC...

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019, 21:22 Chuck Berry <n7chs.qsx@...> wrote:
Has anyone had success running "APRS Messenger" on their DRAW? Thanks,
Chuck  N7CHS

People are welcome to try, at their own risk, any combination they like, but NW Digital Radio only tests and supports DRAWS™ HAT on Raspberry Pi.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 3:11 PM Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
Does DRAWS work with the Atomic pi?  Awesome SBC, reasonable price and runs Windows since it's based on the Intel Atom SOC...

Director

Read before buying an Atomic Pi.

For me, I'll stick with the Raspberry Pi

73
WB5EKU

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 3:15 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
People are welcome to try, at their own risk, any combination they like, but NW Digital Radio only tests and supports DRAWS™ HAT on Raspberry Pi.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 3:11 PM Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
Does DRAWS work with the Atomic pi?  Awesome SBC, reasonable price and runs Windows since it's based on the Intel Atom SOC...

Director

Steve Stroh

Donald:

Wow - that was illuminating! The Atomic Pi did sound too good to be true, especially when you needed an adapter board to power it reliably.

OK - take the Atomic Pi out of discussion.

Scott Currie NS7C said it best. Paraphrasing, some basic Amateur Radio software runs only on Windows. Get over it. Buy a cheap Windows tablet, or laptop, or a basic cube (one was recommended in the referenced article) and just treat it like an appliance. Scott is a smart guy.

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Don--AE4DW <dwinflorida@...>

I own multiple Atomic Pi boards, having joined the kickstarter and then acquiring a couple more later on. I'm not an SBC guru (nor a linux development guru) by any means, but I have no complaints about the board thus far.

From a marketing perspective, putting the "Pi" name in there did them a disservice, as it is in no way a pin for pin replacement for the RPi.

While the hackaday article is a bit over the top, IMHO, its a solid board, but should be understood that its a "repurposed" board, not a ground-up design, so its not like they set out to rival the RPi with an Intel chip. It also explains the whole adapter board controversy and why the board is how it is. It seems like that was the Hackaday beef..that they didn't clearly put it out there that these were boards intended for another application, surplused, and then sold to the kickstarter entrants. To me, that speaks to good business sense, not some deep dark conspiracy and a planned scam. For what its worth, the group running the kickstarter ran one of the most efficient and responsive kickstarters I've ever been involved with.

I'm just becoming acquainted with the DRAW, but at first glance, getting it to work with the APi might be possible, but most definitely not, plug and play.

Stuart Longland VK4MSL

On 27/7/19 3:14 am, Chuck Berry wrote:
Has anyone had success running in under WINE?  Chuck
WINE doesn't magically make a ARM CPU execute Intel 386 machine code.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.