Topics

AX.25 Desktop Icons #a25

J P Watters <kc9kko@...>

To All,

This afternoon I downloaded NW15 and then ran the script for updates and fixes.
ie.

To get fixes and updated apps:

cd

cd n7nix

git pull

cd config

./bin_refresh.sh

When I finished running the "sudo ./app_config.sh core"

I found that ax25-stop and ax25-start set the icon on the desktop to the opposite condition.

after I edited the scripts to change off to on and on to off, they worked appropriately.

..jpw J P Watters
KC9KKO

Basil Gunn

I found that ax25-stop and ax25-start set the icon on the desktop to
the opposite condition.
The icon represents the action that will occur if you click on it.

If there is an AX.25-control icon with an X through it, then ax.25 is
running and clicking on the icon will stop AX.25

If there is just an AX.25-control icon then ax.25 is not running and
clicking on it will start AX.25.

At least that was my intention.
Disclaimer: the majority of my RPi's run headless. A friend of mine
wanted an easy way to start & stop ax.25 and gave me the icons so there
you have it.

Personally I would run split channels so one channel is always running
packet & the other is running some HF program ... unless you want to run
two different HF programs on two HF radios.

/Basil n7nix

Larry W7PAN

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 03:02 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
The icon represents the action that will occur if you click on it.
Hi Basil,

I seem to concur with J P Watters as it is a bit counter intuitive.  For those that don't run headless, it seems it would be better in the GUI for the icon to indicate the current state of the AX25 services.  I am also using the KM4ACK conky, having the AX25-control icon with an X through it while the conky indicates that the AX25 services are active is just plain confusing.  No need to change the scripts, just swapping the start/swap icons does the trick.

Larry W7PAN

Jim Erickson

My two cents on this.  I would disagree.  I feel that the icon should represent what the icon is going to do.  So if it has an X on it, that means it’s going to to stop AX25.  If it doesn’t have an X, then, the it’s going to start AX.25.

I also have conky running, which is supposed to represent the current status of things.  I don’t feel that an icon is supposed to represent a status.  It’s supposed to represent an action.

Just my 2 cents.
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

On Mar 12, 2020, at 19:25, Larry W7PAN <larryvc@...> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 03:02 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
The icon represents the action that will occur if you click on it.
Hi Basil,

I seem to concur with J P Watters as it is a bit counter intuitive.  For those that don't run headless, it seems it would be better in the GUI for the icon to indicate the current state of the AX25 services.  I am also using the KM4ACK conky, having the AX25-control icon with an X through it while the conky indicates that the AX25 services are active is just plain confusing.  No need to change the scripts, just swapping the start/swap icons does the trick.

Larry W7PAN

Hoop K9QJS

Works for me this way, too.  Used regularly.

73
Hoop, K9QJS

On Mar 13, 2020, at 9:17 AM, Jim Erickson <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Four points follow.

First, I am not a gui-guy in the least, so feel free to disregard
anything I have to say about this. Hoop, K9QJS, made an attractive icon &
I took my lead from him. He is a MAC-man so in my domain he had cred.

Second, Thank you Jim VA7SHG. It took my brain a while to come to the same
conclusion you mention.

Third, All my stuff is open source. Just change a script to make it do
what ever you like. I just checked in some changes to
n7nix/systemd/bin/ax25-toggle.sh to make swapping the sense of the icon
easier.

# get updated ax25-toggle.sh script

cd
cd n7nix
git pull

# put script in directory where it gets used

cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

# edit script
cd
cd bin
# edit ax25-toggle.sh script
# Change these two lines at the beginning of the script

ICON_START_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-start.desktop"
ICON_STOP_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-stop.desktop"

ie. do this:

ICON_STOP_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-start.desktop"
ICON_START_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-stop.desktop"

Fourth, Why aren't you using split-channel so that one channel is used
by direwolf for packet & the other is used by some HF program. I will
be checking in a bunch of changes in the next few days to make
split-channel & port baud rate changing a lot easier.

Everyone please stay healthy.

/Basil

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 10:22 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
Fourth, Why aren't you using split-channel
Hadn't looked into it before.  I am now, as of 30 minutes ago, install script worked fine, status looked good, UHF/VHF radios work great, will test HF when I get an antenna back up.

Ran split_toggle.sh so that direwolf again controls both channels and I gather that the AX25-control icon would still be useful in this mode to start/stop AX25.  Is my assumption correct?

73,
Larry W7PAN

Basil Gunn

Larry,

Ran split_toggle.sh so that direwolf again controls both channels and
I gather that the AX25-control icon would still be useful in this mode
to start/stop AX25. Is my assumption correct?
Yes. Good assumption.

In the near future you will be able to more easily control each port
ie. on/off 1200/9600 baud.

/Basil n7nix