Topics

Buster Image with DRAWS software

Frank Ivan

For those that want to just download an image for their DRAWS setup - here is an image that should work on Pi3 or Pi4 based on Buster.  It uses the DRAWS drivers that NW Digital submitted to the Raspbian source tree and now come with Raspbian.  So you should be able to update the software with the normal sudo apt update and sudo apt dist-upgrade.

Just download the file - it is a .xz and Etcher will flash it directly to the sd.  The account is the normal pi with the normal password of raspberry.  It should boot into the desktop.

You will want to expand the SD file system - just do a sudo rasp-config then go to option 8 - Advanced, add chose expand file system.

When you have booted the image with the DRAWS hat installed enter the command aplay -l. It should list the udrc soundcard.  If you have a newer board or if you are curious you can try commenting our the dtoverlay= line in the /boot/config.txt file and see if the soundcard still shows up.  If it does, you can leave the line commented out.

In any event - here you go - enjoy.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpap6fhkctqalxt/Buster-Draws-2019-09-01.xz?dl=0

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Ryan W Leathers

Perhaps this helps... from the rasp-config documentation

Advanced Options

Expand Filesystem

If you have installed Raspbian using NOOBS, the filesystem will have been expanded automatically. There may be a rare occasion where this is not the case, e.g. if you have copied a smaller SD card onto a larger one. In this case, you should use this option to expand your installation to fill the whole SD card, giving you more space to use for files. You will need to reboot the Raspberry Pi to make this available. Note that there is no confirmation: selecting the option begins the partition expansion immediately.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 8:12 PM Edward Seeliger <eseeliger@...> wrote:
Good evening.
I downloaded this image this morning - Balena Etcher gives an error that there is no file system but allows it to be copied / loaded onto an SD card. I attempted to run it on an RPi 3B+ with DRAWS mounted on it but it does not boot - so Etcher is likely correct that it has no readable FS. My current image (v 4.14.98-v7+)  updated by N7NIX's process (prog_refresh.sh) runs without errors.
Edd - KD5M

Frank Ivan

Well darn.

It seems this taring it to an .xz file was not compatible with Etcher.

You can uncompress the .xz file (tar -xJf Buster-Draws-2019-09-01.xz) and flash the resulting .img file to the SD (I tested it and it works) or Ill send another message when the .gz file is uploaded to dropbox and you will be able to download that file and it will work with Etcher (again I have tested).

Sorry for the error.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

On Sep 3, 2019, at 6:12 PM, Edward Seeliger <eseeliger@...> wrote:

Good evening.
I downloaded this image this morning - Balena Etcher gives an error that there is no file system but allows it to be copied / loaded onto an SD card. I attempted to run it on an RPi 3B+ with DRAWS mounted on it but it does not boot - so Etcher is likely correct that it has no readable FS. My current image (v 4.14.98-v7+)  updated by N7NIX's process (prog_refresh.sh) runs without errors.
Edd - KD5M

Mitch Winkle

zip definitely works, i did that yesterday.

On 9/3/19 9:33 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io wrote:
Well darn.

It seems this taring it to an .xz file was not compatible with Etcher.

You can uncompress the .xz file (tar -xJf Buster-Draws-2019-09-01.xz) and flash the resulting .img file to the SD (I tested it and it works) or Ill send another message when the .gz file is uploaded to dropbox and you will be able to download that file and it will work with Etcher (again I have tested).

Sorry for the error.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Edward Seeliger

I apologize - I deleted my message that started these comments once I realized the .xz file was compressed. I used 7-zip to uncompress it (internet search told me how). Etcher loads the resulting .img file without errors or  problems and it does boot on my RPi 3 B+ with DRAWS attached. aplay -l shows the URDC card. Using N7NIX's update process (prog_refresh.sh) updates the scripts and shows all the programs are at current versions.
My other test is to run GPSMON to verify that GPSD and the GPS are working. When I first used the image, GPSMON worked. But after I expanded the image for my 32GB card, GPSMON no longer works. GPSD starts but does not allow GPSMON to work.
I have no clue why after expanding the image GPSD/GPSMON no longer works - I ran N7NIX's gp_install.sh script but that did not fix the problems.
I did not try any other programs.
Suggestions are welcome - I do have my own image that works and is fully expanded.
Edd - KD5M

Frank Ivan

Hi Edd,

It may have been better to have not run the prog_refresh.sh script.  I am not sure what it does and those scripts have not been changed to reflect Buster and the drivers being a part of Raspbian instead of being built from source in n7nix directory.  The scripts in hfprogs are safe -  hf_verchk.sh will tell you the installed version of the digital programs like wsjtx and what version is available.

My GPSMON is working fine after expanding the card.  Try flashing the SD card again and expand it first thing.  Are you using the sudo raspi-config and then option 7 - Advanced Option then A1 - Expand Filesystem?  After that reboot and check GPSMON.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Frank Ivan

Hi Guys,

I have re-uploaded the image as the .gz file that Etcher will transfer to a SD card.

You will want to expand the file system first thing - sudo rasps-config then select option 7 - Advanced and then use Option A1 - Expand Filesystem.

Beware of using any of the configuration or update scripts in the n7nix directory.  They have not been updated for Buster and may copy over something and break it.  Hopefully NW Digital will do an official release on Buster and for the Pi4.

Oh - Draws-Manager is installed.  Just open localhost:8080 in the browser and it should pop up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i21qtsn7c9pwx19/Buster-Draws-2019-09-03.gz?dl=0

Let me know how it goes.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Frank Ivan

Whoops - Auto Correct got the better of me - it is sudo raspi-config.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Edward Seeliger

Frank, I reimaged the SD card from your (original) file and it again boots. I expanded the file system (raspi-config opt 7 Advanced,  option A1 expand file system) and rebooted. Yes GPSMON runs as it should.
I then changed the RPi  name and password, changed my locale and time zone, and enabled SSH and VNC and rebooted. GPSMON no longer works.
This is on an RPi 3B+, not an RPI 4.
So changing settings still upsets GPSD / GPSMON functions and is unrelated to expanding the file system or updating with N7NIXs update scripts. I have not explored further.
Edd - KD5M

Frank Ivan

Hi Edd,

That is useful information.  I'll look at it as well this evening after work.  As long as the interface to the hardware is working then it may be gpsd is getting confused with the time change.  I pretty much operate my ham related computers on UTC, but of course you should be able to use any timezone you like.

There are some commands you can send to see what is going on if you like
sudo systemctl status gpsd will show any errors that happened when the process started and if it is running.

You might also want to look at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS™%3A-Setup-GPSD-for-Time-and--Position NW Digital's documentation.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Frank Ivan

Hi Edd,

I tried doing the expand and then changing the system name, the password, set ssh and vnc, set the timezone to Denver, and connected to my wifi.  GPSMON was still working.  Rebooted and GPSMON was still working.  This on a pi3b+ and a pi4.

Do you have an old or new DRAWS hat?  The old ones have the gps port next to the radio ports.  The new ones have the port on the end of the card.

When GPSMON is broken what does aplay -l show?

You might try commenting out the dtoverlay= line in /boot/config.txt.

Let me know what you find.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Edward Seeliger

Good morning Frank.
I no longer have your image - I overwrote it with a clean Raspbian Buster image and then used John Hayes (k7VE) instructions and Basil Gunn's (N7NIX) scripts to build a working DRAWS Buster image that is fully expanded, shows the UDRC sound device, and runs GPSD / GPSMON / CGPS as well as Xastir, YACC, WSJTX, FLDIGI, and Direwolf.
My DRAWS card has the GPS port on the side sitting above the RPi 3B+ power port.
I do not have an RPI 4.
Edd - KD5M

Frank Ivan

Hi Edd,

Just glad its working.

I must have a really really early card.

Hey - its a hobby and if you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong :-)

73 - Frank - K0FEI

To see what version of DRAWS you have:

$ cat /proc/device-tree/hat/product_ver
0xAAFF

AA is Assembly Revision
FF is Fab Rev

Currently Shipping 0x0106

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 5, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei@...> wrote:

Hi Edd,

Just glad its working.

I must have a really really early card.

Hey - its a hobby and if you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong :-)

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Frank Ivan

Hi Brian,

It reports 0x0204.

udrcver.sh shows:
Found a DRAWS

          HAT ID EEPROM
Name: hat
Product: Digital Radio Amateur Work Station
Product ID: 0x0004
Product ver: 0x0204
UUID: 2420cda1-931d-478c-80e5-d770f3346adb
Vendor: NW Digital Radio

Thanks - Frank - K0FEI

Frank Ivan

Hi Bryan,

So what is the verdict on the strange product_ver?  Can you send me a program to change it to something the drivers will be happy with?  It would seem this card has not been shipped yet :-)

Thanks and 73
Frank - K0FEI

On Sep 5, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

To see what version of DRAWS you have:

$ cat /proc/device-tree/hat/product_ver
0xAAFF

AA is Assembly Revision
FF is Fab Rev

Currently Shipping 0x0106

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 5, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei@...> wrote:

Hi Edd,

Just glad its working.

I must have a really really early card.

Hey - its a hobby and if you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong :-)

73 - Frank - K0FEI

Drivers only look at ProductID which is 4 for DRAWS

On Sep 24, 2019, at 1:18 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei@...> wrote:

[...]

Basil Gunn

Please cut & paste the console output of:
cd
cd n7nix/bin
./udrcver.sh