Topics

Cant compile fldigi on Beta9 #fldigi

Joseph Vilardo

The DRAWS beta 9 image comes with FLDIGI-4.0.18 installed. There are much newer FLDIGI release available so I tried to compile and install FLDIGI-4.1.02.29 and that failed. I downloaded the FLDIGI-4.1.02.29.tar.gz to /usr/local/src directory where I also found the original fldigi-4.0.18.tar.gz  The ./configure runs fine and doesn't show any errors. The "make" command produces an error at the end of its compile. I was successful in compiling and installing flamp-2.22.05.12 using the procedure I followed for fldigi.
I did un comment sources file in /etc/apt/sources.list and up dated the apt package cache with sudo "aptitude update". I also updated "aptitude install build-essentials"  and "aptitude build-dep fldigi"

Has anyone had success with beta 9 and the new fldigi releases?

Following the described procedure above on a plain Raspbian Stretch current release on a different PI 3B+ I was able to compile and install FLDIGI-4.1.02.29 without issue.

I am looking for some guidance on how to get the more recent versions of fldigi installed and operating on DRAWS,

Thanks,
K3JV

Gayland Gump

I just did a build on the latest stretch raspbian of the a current version of fldigi.  It was necessary to increase the swap space on the current system to get a successful build.  The default swap appears to be 100, I assume MB, I bumped it to 512 which was probably excessive, 256 might have been way more reasonable but that is just a guess on my part.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 7:18 PM Joseph Vilardo via Groups.Io <jvilardo=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Basil Gunn

I download the fldigi source from http://www.w1hkj.com/files
for the DRAWS image which has fldigi version at 4.1.01
What repository are you using to get 4.1.02.29?

I use the script at n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh to show the latest
versions of all the hf HAM programs on the DRAWS image. You can use
hf_verchk.sh -u to update all the hf programs to their current
version. They change weekly.

Before you build from source you will need to increase the swap file
size in config file: /etc/dphys-swapfile

Change CONF_SWAPSIZE=100
CONF_SWAPSIZE=1000

then reboot.
Verify swap file size with

swapon -s
or run
n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh -s

/Basil n7nix

On 3/27/2019 1:30 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
I download the fldigi source from http://www.w1hkj.com/files
for the DRAWS image which has fldigi version at 4.1.01
What repository are you using to get 4.1.02.29?
4.1.02.29 is a test release of the .02 version that has an added feature or features and not yet verified as fully functional. Dave W1HKJ makes them available for those that want to try them and report what results they get.

I found them here http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha.

I first tried to build on DRAWS  from the stable version fldigi-4.1.02 but couldn't get it to compile properly. I didn't know about expanding the swap file. I then tried the alpha version FLDIGI-4.1.02.29 on a standalone RPi 3B+ and the build went ok and installed without issue.  I then tried a build with fldigi-4.1.02.29 on the DRAWS ver 9 release and as I reported that failed.

Probably more info than you needed but I wanted you know the progression I went through.

Next I will try your suggestion and use the script "n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh" and n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh -u to update to the latest stable versions.

From a learning point of view I will also try editing the swap file and try to build the latest alpha of fldigi  from source.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks Basil,

Joe K3JV

[...]

Thanks. I probably will not include alpha version on the DRAWS image.

Next I will try your suggestion and use the script
"n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh" and n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh -u to update
to the latest stable versions.
You need to increase the swap file before you run the update since it
compiles fldigi.

From a learning point of view I will also try editing the swap file and
try to build the latest alpha of fldigi from source.

[...]

Basil also said to increase the swapfile size. It was set at 100 his advise was to set it to 1000. I did that and the build for fldigi-4.1.01 worked fine no errors this time in the compile.  So now I have fldigi-4.1.01 working and will add FLMSG and the stable release of FLAMP.

Thanks for the help.

Joe K3JV

On 3/26/2019 11:51 PM, Gayland Gump wrote:
[...]

I suspect that the amount of increase needed was far below what Basil threw out.  I went with 512 and even at the time was thinking that it was probably excessive.  Like I said, I suspect that 256 MB would probably ample and maybe even excessive but since I didn't try it at that level I can't confirm that it would work.  The practical impact of changing to 1000 as I understand it you are allocating about a 1 GB of storage on the SD card to swap space which I believe would rarely ever be required.  On the other hand, what do I know.
Gayland
KG7GCF

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 5:12 PM Joseph Vilardo via Groups.Io <jvilardo=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Basil

A good idea to not include the alpha releases of fldigi. They change often when Dave is debuging problems.

Joe

On 3/27/2019 5:13 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:

What repository are you using to get 4.1.02.29?
4.1.02.29 is a test release of the .02 version that has an added feature
or features and not yet verified as fully functional. Dave W1HKJ makes
them available for those that want to try them and report what results
they get.

I found them here http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha.
Thanks. I probably will not include alpha version on the DRAWS image.

Next I will try your suggestion and use the script
"n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh" and n7nix/hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh -u to update
to the latest stable versions.
You need to increase the swap file before you run the update since it
compiles fldigi.

From a learning point of view I will also try editing the swap file and
[...]

Chris Kennedy

Consider 512 the minimum swap size to compile fldigi on a pi3.  256 was insufficient.  I monitored it while building and the swap went up to 467MB.

Thanks

Chris KB7NMU