Topics

Comments on the use of Large SD cards for DRAWS?

Charlie Hein

Haven't seen this posted anywhere so I figured I'd ask here.  I have a couple of large (200 GB) SDXC cards I could dedicate to this project.  However, I read in the documentation that the minimum size is only 16 GB, so I'm wondering if this would be a gross overkill.  Is there any advantage to having the large amount of free space, or pitfalls with using the SDXC cards?

Charlie (N4NVD)

Basil Gunn

Haven't seen this posted anywhere so I figured I'd ask here. I have a
couple of large (200 GB) SDXC cards I could dedicate to this
project.
RPI 3 B vs SDXC
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155103#:~:text=The%20Pi%20has%20no%20problem,FAT32%20for%20Nobs%20to%20work.

SD, SDHC, SDXC
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2252

However, I read in the documentation that the minimum size is
only 16 GB, so I'm wondering if this would be a gross overkill.
Depends on your application, but it does sound like 'gross overkill'.

Is there any advantage to having the large amount of free space, or
pitfalls with using the SDXC cards?
In general I use an mSD card that is around twice the capacity of what I
need. My thinking, which may have no basis, is that the wear level
algorithm for the mSD card works better if it has sufficient empty
blocks to work with. Having said that in around 10 years of usage I've
only been able to wear out 2 mSD cards out of at least 100 cards that I
have used. I usually buy SanDisk or Samsung mSD cards.

/Basil n7nix

Charlie Hein

Thanks Basil! I decided to order a couple of 32Gb cards just to be safe.

Charlie