Topics

Compass image Permissions

Good afternoon and thank you for adding me to the group.

I previously posted in the Yahoo group the following:

In an effort to be prepared to plugin the URDC hat when it arrives I thought I would download the image and setup my micro SD card. Went to archive.compasslinux.org and downloaded zip file. No problems. Extracted the image and installed it on the SD card. No problem. Ethernet cable works but I cannot get the Edimax wifi dongle to work. the Pi sees it and loads the module for it. by doing lsusb it shows the wlan adapter on Bus 001 Device 004 exactly where it does in my other Pi distributions. Iwlist wlan0 scan shows the available networks. So I know the adapter is working and seeing the wireless world. The Pi and Edimax wifi adapter work great with several other distros.

I cannot do much configuration with the Pi plugged into the ethernet cable as I do not have an HDMI monitor there. Where I have an HDMI monitor I do not have an available wired network connection. So where I can see what I am doing I have no network and where I have network I cannot see. (Could be a country song there, hi)

I recognize this is not a NW Digital issue but I can find very little information concerning the compass distribution and what is built in, what works and what does not. I have followed several different step by step guides to get it to work all with failure. A little bit of direction would be very helpful and I would be grateful.

John replied quickly and sent me on a path to solve my wifi connection issue. Turned out that even with using sudo commands I still was not able to change the configuration for the network settings to permit the wife adapter to work. I took ownership as user "pi" of the /etc/network/ directory and that permitted me to configure wife to work. I then had similar issues installing VNC. Finally got that working so I can remotely connect.

Today I thought I would preinstall dstarrepeater and ircddbgateway which again presented some permission issues, even with utilizing sudo commands. dstarrepeater was configured and I went on to ircddbgateway. When I run sudo ircddbgateway I am presented with a popup box which states "Cannot open /var/log/opendv/irrcddbgateway.log for appending. When I click OK i am presented with "Fatal Error: Assertion failed on line 67 in file Common/Logger.cpp and function DoLog: m_file->IsOpened()
Aborted

Again this seems to be a permissions issue.

Clearly I am a novice with the Raspberry PI and Linux and I am using this as a learning experience and do not wish to cause any problem. I completely expect this to be an issue I created. Since I do not yet have my URDC hat it may be that simple. But It appears that the image my have some permission issues for user "pi". I will continue to plug away at it and want to say John has been great and responding to my direct emails. If this is an issue in the image then I will not be the only one experiencing the issue.

Thanks for all the help!

Rich, KR4PI

Steve N4IRS

Rich
Make sure the directory exists  /var/log/opendv/
if not you can do a "mkdir -p  /var/log/opendv/

73, Steve N4IRS

--
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
1st Law of Logic

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>

On May 26, 2016, at 11:32 AM, Steve Zingman <szingman@...> wrote:

Rich
Make sure the directory exists /var/log/opendv/
if not you can do a "mkdir -p /var/log/opendv/
The opendv-base package, which is automatically brought in by the dstarrepeater or dstarrepeaterd package, creates /var/log/opendv. It is owned by the opendv user and group by default, as this is what the systemd unit file sets the dstarrepeaterd daemon to run as. If you are going to use a different user to run dstarrepeater/dstarrepeaterd that doesn’t have permissions to write there, you’ll have to chown/chmod the thing so that it works.

[...]

Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...>

Rich,

I haven't installed Compass yet, but this should be relatively easy to resolve.

Check the ownership of the directories/files in question with the ls -al command.  In addition to the owner, the group will be shown.  You can add your user to the group and that will normally resolve these types of permission issues.  See 'man adduser' to get the syntax for doing this.

I probably should install Compass on one of my RPis to get ready for the UDRC (hopefully there are still a few left after Dayton for those of us who placed orders earlier this month).

73,
Bob, N7XY