Topics

#Desktop file manager and screen blanking issues #desktop

Bernard f6bvp

Hi,
With nwdr15.img and recently with nwdr14.img I observed same desktop issues on two different Raspberry Pi models 3B+ and 4 and two different screen displays models.
These issues are not present on latest RaspBian distro september 2019 with same 4.19.93 kernel and all applications updated.

First issue is with screen blanking. I had to disable it in preference menu for it was impossible to recover a display after it was blanked. Sometime unplugging the UDMI plug could recover a normal display but usually a reboot was needed.

Second issue is with File Manager desktop icon. When clicking on the icon it opens a file window very briefly and close it right away. At the same time all desktop icons disappear for a brief moment and reappear on the desktop.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Jonathan Visser

Bernard,

For the file manager I noticed this to.  We did a quick reinstall of the file manager and it took care if it.   When I get back home later today I will look up the command we used and send it over.

73’s Jonathan N9TJX

On Feb 2, 2020, at 05:31, f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:

Hi,
With nwdr15.img and recently with nwdr14.img I observed same desktop issues on two different Raspberry Pi models 3B+ and 4 and two different screen displays models.
These issues are not present on latest RaspBian distro september 2019 with same 4.19.93 kernel and all applications updated.

First issue is with screen blanking. I had to disable it in preference menu for it was impossible to recover a display after it was blanked. Sometime unplugging the UDMI plug could recover a normal display but usually a reboot was needed.

Second issue is with File Manager desktop icon. When clicking on the icon it opens a file window very briefly and close it right away. At the same time all desktop icons disappear for a brief moment and reappear on the desktop.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

I had the same problem with file manager. I had a fresh image, nwdr15, the piwiz ran through almost all downloads then failed. Basil had said the core config does the same thing as the piwiz, if I understood correctly, so I left it. After core config, I tried to use the file manager for the first time and noticed the problem.

the problem went away after running

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

david, Ke7rgp

Ruben .

Thank you for voicing these issues, I thought it was my inexperience.

Ruben
WA2NBL

On Feb 2, 2020, at 10:17 AM, David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:

I had the same problem with file manager. I had a fresh image, nwdr15, the piwiz ran through almost all downloads then failed. Basil had said the core config does the same thing as the piwiz, if I understood correctly, so I left it. After core config, I tried to use the file manager for the first time and noticed the problem.

the problem went away after running

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

david, Ke7rgp

Basil Gunn

Hi Bernard,

Second issue first: File Manager instantly closes when opened
The solution can be found here:
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/92213/file-manager-instantly-closes-when-opened

The file manager used in Raspbian is called pcmanfm, you must re-install it.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pcmanfm

First issue:
Disclaimer I do NOT use the raspbian GUI very much so this is my limited
observation.

One of my monitors, Sceptre model E16 (12v monitor), stopped working with
buster running on an RPi 4. I got it displaying again by
putting the following in the /boot/config.txt file.

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2
hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1
#hdmi_safe=1
hdmi_group:0=1
hdmi_mode:0=4

What I would do is collect some data to see if you can understand the
problem better. Look at:
- monitor model
- video connector used, ie. HDMI,
- all the hdmi settings in /boot/config.txt,
- raspberry pi model,
- kernel version

This is what I am currently using for testing on my bench:

machine kern RPi video Monitor
plutest 4.19.75 Pi 4 Model B HDMI Sceptre 16"
nwdr15plu2 4.19.93 Pi 3 Model B HDMI Sunfounder 10" touch
ardop2 4.19.75 Pi 3 Model B+ HDMI Sunfounder 10"
mhams 4.14.98 Pi 3 Model B HDMI Sunfounder 10"

Also you will get more eyes looking at your problem if you post your
description on the RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio groups.io site.

/Basil n7nix

f6bvp <f6bvp@...> writes:

[...]

David,
Thank you for providing a solution that also worked for me.
And thanks to all who confirmed the file manager issue.
It’s  nice to share problems.

This means that something should be repaired in nwdr14 and 15 ?

I will see if screen blanking issue is also gone.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Basil Gunn

This means that something should be repaired in nwdr14 and 15 ?
I will not be spinning a new image.

The pcmanfm reinstall has been added to 'app_config.sh core' with this commit:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/commit/bf885816fe434007f649aaf3ec05d0b253fc9cba

For new installs pcmanfm will automatically get reinstalled if
directions are followed in the "Getting Started Guide" ie. you need to
do a 'git pull' before running 'app_config.sh core'

For those who have already done an install you can fix the symptom, as
previously posted by opening a console running:

apt-get install -y -q --reinstall pcmanfm

I will see if screen blanking issue is also gone.
I think these 2 issues are unrelated.
/Basil n7nix

Bernard f6bvp

Hi Basil,

By chance the solution of file manager

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

suggesred by david, Ke7rgp

also cured my screen blanking issue !

Anyway, thank you for sharing your solutions.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Steve, N9VW

My suspicions are that since this is a known issue with the Raspian image then they must have fixed the issue and the update/upgrade pulled in the 'fix'...