Topics

DR1x dstar rx but no tx

Josh

I am having a problem where the DR1x can RX the dstar transmissions and I can see packets received in dstarrepeater but the DR1x never keys up. I have followed the instructions per the DR1x wiki page and have double checked all the settings on the pi.

It is a 70 cm repeater in remote mode with firmware version 1.10D and the analog side still works fine, RX and TX both light up and functions properly. The repeater RX will flash on for a second when receiving dstar data but TX has never lit up. I have tried setting the repeater into both auto/auto and fixed/fixed and the problem is the same either way. If I use an analog radio to monitor the input and output frequencies of the repeater I can hear dstar tones on the input freq but I never hear anything on the output side. Dstarrepeater is being run in gui mode and I can see RX State go to "Processing Data", Rpt State to "Valid" and TX to "On" but the repeater does not key. There is a red LED on the UDRCII that comes on when dstarrepeater shows TX On. Also, it is showing a negative DC offset and a BER of around 10%. I am not running ircddbgateway as we were not planning on linking the repeater initially. I am using a 15 pin cable from NWDR and I have visually inspected it and there appears to be no defects.

I hope I have I just missed a setting somewhere so any insight would be appreciated.

KE5FCO

This would take some closer examination, but a BER of 10% on receive is way too high.  See if you can figure out what is causing that (RFI, location of test D-STAR radio antenna, etc.)

Also link up to a busy reflector like 1C or 30C -- see if it keys up when there is traffic. (You can have ircddbgateway startup linked to a reflector or use the iPhone/ircddbgateway app)

When I have encountered failures on installs, it is pretty much always either a missed item on the install or some additional software/configuration performed.

We did have one case where it was a bad pin on the cable, so you might examine both ends of the cable, and possibly ring it out.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Josh <josh@...> wrote:

[...]

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Josh

Thanks for the quick response. I thought that might be the problem since I was sitting at the repeater directly under the antenna when I was keying my 92ad so I went about a mile away and turned the power to low on the 92ad with the same response. Also, I can see the beacons every 10 minutes in dstarrepeater and the TX goes to "On" but I don't see anything on my 92ad and the repeater does not key then either. I will get ircddbgateway set up and connect to a reflector to see what happens then. The cable appears to be good but I will work on getting a meter on it to test it out.

Josh

Well, no success yet. I have reformatted the SD card and started over just in case I missed a step somewhere but the udrc behavior is still the same. I have played around with the alsamixer settings to see if I can get something to change and I haven't found anything yet. I have turned the audio levels on everything all the way down and all the way up and no changes at all. Even with all the levels at 0 dstarrepeater still decodes my packet with a BER around 10%. I tried linking to a reflector on quadnet but it would not link. ircddbgateway receives my link request but the link fails. I do not have access to the router/firewall settings where the repeater is located so I can't do any port forwarding, which I assume is the problem there.

You really should not have to mess with the alsamixer settings, but if you do, it is the tiniest of adjustments, nothing more than a couple of DB from the standard ones for the DR-1X.

Give the following command and see what you get for GPIO.7

 gpio readall
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 2---+---+------+---------+-----+-----+
 | BCM | wPi |   Name  | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name    | wPi | BCM |
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+
 |     |     |    3.3v |      |   |  1 || 2  |   |      | 5v      |     |     |
 |   2 |   8 |   SDA.1 | ALT0 | 1 |  3 || 4  |   |      | 5V      |     |     |
 |   3 |   9 |   SCL.1 | ALT0 | 1 |  5 || 6  |   |      | 0v      |     |     |
 |   4 |   7 | GPIO. 7 | ALT0 | 0 |  7 || 8  | 1 | ALT0 | TxD     | 15  | 14  |
 |     |     |      0v |      |   |  9 || 10 | 1 | ALT0 | RxD     | 16  | 15  |
 |  17 |   0 | GPIO. 0 |   IN | 0 | 11 || 12 | 1 | ALT0 | GPIO. 1 | 1   | 18  |
 |  27 |   2 | GPIO. 2 |  OUT | 1 | 13 || 14 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |
 |  22 |   3 | GPIO. 3 |  OUT | 0 | 15 || 16 | 1 | OUT  | GPIO. 4 | 4   | 23  |
 |     |     |    3.3v |      |   | 17 || 18 | 1 | OUT  | GPIO. 5 | 5   | 24  |
 |  10 |  12 |    MOSI |   IN | 0 | 19 || 20 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |
 |   9 |  13 |    MISO |   IN | 0 | 21 || 22 | 1 | IN   | GPIO. 6 | 6   | 25  |
 |  11 |  14 |    SCLK |   IN | 0 | 23 || 24 | 1 | IN   | CE0     | 10  | 8   |
 |     |     |      0v |      |   | 25 || 26 | 1 | IN   | CE1     | 11  | 7   |
 |   0 |  30 |   SDA.0 |   IN | 1 | 27 || 28 | 1 | IN   | SCL.0   | 31  | 1   |
 |   5 |  21 | GPIO.21 |   IN | 1 | 29 || 30 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |
 |   6 |  22 | GPIO.22 |  OUT | 1 | 31 || 32 | 1 | OUT  | GPIO.26 | 26  | 12  |
 |  13 |  23 | GPIO.23 |  OUT | 1 | 33 || 34 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |
 |  19 |  24 | GPIO.24 | ALT0 | 1 | 35 || 36 | 0 | IN   | GPIO.27 | 27  | 16  |
 |  26 |  25 | GPIO.25 |   IN | 0 | 37 || 38 | 0 | ALT0 | GPIO.28 | 28  | 20  |
 |     |     |      0v |      |   | 39 || 40 | 0 | ALT0 | GPIO.29 | 29  | 21  |
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+
 | BCM | wPi |   Name  | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name    | wPi | BCM |
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 2---+---+------+---------+-----+-----+

It should be ALT0

You can email me your dstarrepeater_1 config file and log file.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Josh <josh@...> wrote:
Well, no success yet. I have reformatted the SD card and started over just in case I missed a step somewhere but the udrc behavior is still the same. I have played around with the alsamixer settings to see if I can get something to change and I haven't found anything yet. I have turned the audio levels on everything all the way down and all the way up and no changes at all. Even with all the levels at 0 dstarrepeater still decodes my packet with a BER around 10%. I tried linking to a reflector on quadnet but it would not link. ircddbgateway receives my link request but the link fails. I do not have access to the router/firewall settings where the repeater is located so I can't do any port forwarding, which I assume is the problem there.

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

VE3MIC

I am using the UDRC on a DR-1x, and my audio (alsamixer) settings are both set to "44"

As John has mentioned, check GPIO pin 7 (BCM 4) and ensure that it is set to 'alt0' (ALT Zero).

For some unknown reason, my GPIO pin 7 needed to be reset to alt0, as the DR-1x would not transmit.

73 de Mike

Josh

Mike-

Thanks for the tip. I checked that out and all the pins are set where they should be.

John-

I have pulled the pi/udrc off the repeater and brought it back to the house to test it out. I am using the measure_deviate.sh script to have it key and send a tone so I can check the voltage on the pins on the 15 pin connector. When I put the voltmeter on pins 2 (PTT) and 5 (GND) per the UDRC data sheet, I do not get any voltage but the red LED on the udrc lights up. Is this normal? Am I testing the correct pins? I checked the continuity of the 15 pin cable and all pins check out ok on that.

HD15-2 is the PTT to the radio. The Datasheet lists it as OC which stands for Open Collector.

PTT is pulled up to 3.3V in the DR1-X so you won’t see a signal change if you’re not connected to the DR1-X.

The Red LED is on GPIO12 so if it lights PTT is being activated.

Bryan