From: Christopher AI6KG <ch@...>
Date: 6/2/19 5:02 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [udrc] DRAWS and Allstar?

Has anyone gotten Allstar running with DRAWS (or UDRC)?    I saw the thread re: URI but my aim is to use DRAWS rather than URI.

-christopher.

73 de AI6KG

Steve KC1AWV

"Allstar without the attached OS" is just Asterisk with app_rpt. Asterisk runs on many OSes - Linux, BSD, Windows, etc... Just need to compile it with app_rpt.

Allstar takes it a step further, building a network on top of Asterisk and app_rpt. They provide a distribution of Debian with Asterisk and app_rpt pre compiled, with all the heavy lifting and configuration already done. You could do it all yourself, but why when you can save time with the distro?

The issue I see is not with the Allstar distribution, but rather getting DRAWS to show up as a compatible device for app_rpt. The URIx and other similar radio interface were specifically designed for Allstar, IRLP and the like.

A driver may be needed for use with Allstar. If this is something that a lot of people are interested in, I could take a stab at it. Just need to dedicate the time and a board. Though, I feel that the exercise may be a little in vain, using DRAWS for just going from a radio to Allstar is seriously limiting the power and capabilities of the board. A URIx would be easier, since it's the right tools for the job kind of thing. Plus, it's cheaper than a DRAWS board.

Steve KC1AWV

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 10:24 PM Anthony Leeser <tagtynee@...> wrote:

Hello Christopher

That's a very good question. I've been working on that for sometime. I didn't want to tie up and dedicate a RPi solely for Allstar. I wanted to do HF digital as well. I've been working on this project for about a year. The introduction of DRAWS changed my entire build... ugh. Unless I overlooked a possible workaround, only thing I haven't tried was requesting to get the Allstar software without the attached operating system. If that's possible, I don't see why DRAWS and Allstar can't be friendly neighbors one one operating system.

Tony
AG7GF

Has anyone gotten Allstar running with DRAWS (or UDRC)?    I saw the thread re: URI but my aim is to use DRAWS rather than URI.

-christopher.

73 de AI6KG

Steve KC1AWV

I understand what you are saying. That's why I like to try and figure out what people are doing with their devices, and lend a hand when I can.

I just see that DRAWS is more of a Swiss army knife for digital on amateur radio than just a radio interface. That's why I would suggest a URIx instead of a DRAWS board with Allstar. But, I don't know everyone's use case so I could still do what I can to make it work.

Could it be done? I'm sure it could! But like you said, it's better to perfect the device for it's intended purpose than to stretch the capabilities out to cover everything.

I'll be over here on the side, and will update with findings if I get any! If I find time to tinker, I'll see what I can do to make it work.

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019, 11:30 PM Anthony Leeser <tagtynee@...> wrote:
Steve,

Hmmm...the thought of the DRAWS board providing Allstar capabilities wasn't thought of. I would just be satisfied if they can both run on one operating system/RPi.

There's so many unanswered questions that haven't yet been answered and to add  Allstar or any other experiments to DRAWS is too early, in my oppinion, until it's perfected. Kinda like putting the horse in front of the cart?

I've given up on the DRAWS. I don't know what I'm doing. Instructions are vague unless we're Linux geeks. Linux geek I'm not.

Tony
AG7GF

Has anyone gotten Allstar running with DRAWS (or UDRC)?    I saw the thread re: URI but my aim is to use DRAWS rather than URI.

-christopher.

73 de AI6KG

Anthony Leeser

Thanks Steve for any potential updates you'll stumble upon. Meanwhile, I'll continue to read all these emails in hopes I can learn enough to make my DRAWS work.

Tony
AG7GF

Has anyone gotten Allstar running with DRAWS (or UDRC)?    I saw the thread re: URI but my aim is to use DRAWS rather than URI.

-christopher.

73 de AI6KG

Christopher AI6KG

The issue I see is not with the Allstar distribution, but rather getting DRAWS to show up as a compatible device for app_rpt.

Agreed.  This is essentially what I was asking.

-ch
73 de AI6KG

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:04 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

So, I've given this some more thought. you could probably do this through chan_alsa, chan_oss, or chan_usrp depending on how DRAWS configures its sound card.

Easiest would be GNU Radio USRP, the set up would be similar to that as DVSwitch.

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

The draws board can go ALSA or Pulse Audio.

Pulse audio maps left and right connectors as separate mono alsa devices.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 09:25 Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

DRAWS™ CODEC is available under ALSA (and pulseaudio), anyone who wants to try this should look at chan_alsa and app_rpt

Can app_rpt do PTT and SQUELCH DETECT using Raspberry Pi GPIO pins?

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 9:25 AM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
So, I've given this some more thought. you could probably do this through chan_alsa, chan_oss, or chan_usrp depending on how DRAWS configures its sound card.

Easiest would be GNU Radio USRP, the set up would be similar to that as DVSwitch.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM Christopher AI6KG <ch@...> wrote:
The issue I see is not with the Allstar distribution, but rather getting DRAWS to show up as a compatible device for app_rpt.

Agreed.  This is essentially what I was asking.

-ch
73 de AI6KG

Kingston, WA
K7VE