Topics

DRAWS FT817 no TX audio

Ken Myers

Hi.  Im have set up my DRAWS hat/FT817 according to "temporarily Offline" youtube video.

Install good
WSJT-X good
CAT good\ - PTT band change etc.
RX good - waterfall/decode etc great.
I set my WSJT-X audio to in/out toplughwCARD=udrc.DEV=0
Seems my only problem is audio from HAT to FT817 as while rig goes to TX, no audio drive.
Radio is all OK as I use it for Win/FT8 SSB etc.

I do not know where to look for audio output drive adjust on the Pi/HAT/WSJT-X steup

I am new to all this and learning.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Ken VK4GC

Did you try DRAWS ™ Manager?

You may want to also do a factory reset on the radio.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, 18:17 Ken Myers <ken.vk4gc@...> wrote:
Hi.  Im have set up my DRAWS hat/FT817 according to "temporarily Offline" youtube video.

Install good
WSJT-X good
CAT good\ - PTT band change etc.
RX good - waterfall/decode etc great.
I set my WSJT-X audio to in/out toplughwCARD=udrc.DEV=0
Seems my only problem is audio from HAT to FT817 as while rig goes to TX, no audio drive.
Radio is all OK as I use it for Win/FT8 SSB etc.

I do not know where to look for audio output drive adjust on the Pi/HAT/WSJT-X steup

I am new to all this and learning.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Ken VK4GC

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>

Ken, did you look at Draws manager? That has output adjustments . Also the power slider on the right of the wsjt-x screen can be adjusted. Rick. Ka4ohm

On Jul 18, 2019, at 7:34 PM, Ken Myers <ken.vk4gc@...> wrote:

Hi.  Im have set up my DRAWS hat/FT817 according to "temporarily Offline" youtube video.

Install good
WSJT-X good
CAT good\ - PTT band change etc.
RX good - waterfall/decode etc great.
I set my WSJT-X audio to in/out toplughwCARD=udrc.DEV=0
Seems my only problem is audio from HAT to FT817 as while rig goes to TX, no audio drive.
Radio is all OK as I use it for Win/FT8 SSB etc.

I do not know where to look for audio output drive adjust on the Pi/HAT/WSJT-X steup

I am new to all this and learning.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Ken VK4GC

LA9KOA - Karl

What is the mode of your 817 while TX?
I think it should be "DIG", otherwise it might not use sound input from the data port on back.

You can set this up from WSJT-X by choosing USB-D (can't remember exact description now)
Choosing USB for mode could make the radio take sound input from mic and not from data port.

William McKeehan

I've found that I need to run the `setalsa-ft817.sh` script that was
included in the ~/bin directory, after that, I opened the DRAWS
Manager and changed the Input from Receiver Signal Source to "DISC
(pin4)" to get my 817 to work as expected with the hat. YMMV

--
William
KI4HDU

Ken Myers

Back Again after a delay.
Ran FT817 .sh as suggested

Still the same 2 radios - ft817 and uBITXv6 (uBITX thinks it is a FT817 for WSJTX purposes)

Both radios work fine with another Pi USB audio RXTX perfect.

ON DH the Cat works great. FT817 has USB ct62, uBITX6 has direct USB

With the DH, RX great full decode. TX on wsjtx keys transmitter but no audio. (confirmed using another receiver - just low hum - full carrier)

Using a cable with pins 1,2,4,5 present.  Cable Good.
Using DHmanager selecting FT817, and AF(pin5) no audio emitted. Sliding the gain didn't help.
Also tried pin4 DISC - still pure carrier.
Tried on both radios

Great for WSPR reporting but not for TX on any digital.

I would be grateful of any more advice

Cheers Ken
VK4GC

Basil Gunn

Look at the link below. It is what I used to get an FT-817 to work with
FLdigi.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md

Since you are using some HF digital mode you should stick with mDin6 pin
5 AFOUT. You configure DISC or AFOUT with your radio and alsa
configuration. They need to match each other.

Also search the messages in this group.
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/search?q=ft-817

/Basil n7nix

kenmyersglobal@... writes:

Back Again after a delay.
Ran FT817 .sh as suggested

Still the same 2 radios - ft817 and uBITXv6 (uBITX thinks it is a FT817 for WSJTX purposes)

Both radios work fine with another Pi USB audio RXTX perfect.

ON DH the Cat works great. FT817 has USB ct62, uBITX6 has direct USB

With the DH, RX great full decode. TX on wsjtx keys transmitter but no audio. (confirmed using another receiver - just low hum - full carrier)

Using a cable with pins 1,2,4,5 present. Cable Good.
Using DHmanager selecting FT817, and AF(pin5) no audio emitted. Sliding the gain didn't help.
Also tried pin4 DISC - still pure carrier.
Tried on both radios

Great for WSPR reporting but not for TX on any digital.

Ken Myers

Thanks Barry
 Running alsashow

pi@DRAWS-VK4GC:~ $ alsa-show.sh
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB] R:[-6.00dB]
PCM        L:[-16.50dB] R:[-16.50dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]  Your link has (Full chip CM) - any significance?? IF so where do I change?

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

I note in the Github link you are using mDi6 Pin3 for PTT.  I am using USB Cat cable.  That part is all good.
I would guess the aim with GPIO 12 > mD6/3 PTT is to eliminate a cable. Good idea, but PTT is not my problem.

Does any other suggestions?

Thanks so far

Tested above - still modulated carrier.

kenmyersglobal@... writes:

> Back Again after a delay.
> Ran FT817 .sh as suggested
>
> Still the same 2 radios - ft817 and uBITXv6 (uBITX thinks it is a FT817 for WSJTX purposes)
>
> Both radios work fine with another Pi USB audio RXTX perfect.
>
> ON DH the Cat works great. FT817 has USB ct62, uBITX6 has direct USB
>
> With the DH, RX great full decode. TX on wsjtx keys transmitter but no audio. (confirmed using another receiver - just low hum - full carrier)
>
> Using a cable with pins 1,2,4,5 present. Cable Good.
> Using DHmanager selecting FT817, and AF(pin5) no audio emitted. Sliding the gain didn't help.
> Also tried pin4 DISC - still pure carrier.
> Tried on both radios
>
> Great for WSPR reporting but not for TX on any digital.

--
Cheers

Ken Myers

Sunnybank Hills QLD AUS
M   +61 414 487 004

Ken Myers

read as UNMODULATED Carrier

There is a web based tool to setup.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C3cWVVz_A
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Another suggestion is to do a hard reset on the FT-817 itself to make sure none of the internal settings for audio / accessory port have been changed.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:16 PM John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
There is a web based tool to setup.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C3cWVVz_A
Kingston, WA

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Ken Myers

Thanks John

I have reset the radio, and have used DM to set the ALSA parameters.

pi@DRAWS-VK4GC:~ $ alsa-show.sh
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB] R:[-6.00dB]
PCM         L:[-16.50dB] R:[-16.50dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
pi@DRAWS-VK4GC:~ $

Made new mD6 cable (actually removed pin 6 from one end of a standard cable)

Using another receiver to test output.

Result is harsh audio with very faint expected modulation sounds underneath.
Insufficient to register any power out on the FT817 with a 100mw power mete attached.
Both cables had same result.

FT817 works perfectly for FT8 on all other configurations - Rigblaster on PC, or Pi with USB card (a la KM4ACK build)

I want to get the hat working as it would integrate perfectly inside my uBITXv6 case - elegant.

What can I try next?

Cheers

Ken
VK4GC

Ken Myers

Just by the way, my board is the one with the sma the same end as the SD card.