Draws has just about taken me to my wits end

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

This was setup months ago and it has never worked correctly. I honestly had better luck with Windows and a KPC3+ TNC.
No one has been able to use the rms gateway. everyone gets the same error "connection reset by peer.
The modulation has been checked and verified on both my stations and the gateway as well as a couple other folks.

short of a hammer and trash can I'm undecided as  what to do next. to many people are complaining that they can't use it.
Accepting 3L1E77OJTIDD
Receiving [Winlink Wednesday Roster Published (22 September 2021, Episode #263)] [offset 0]
2021/09/24 16:27:07 Exchange failed: read wl2k: connection reset by peer
2021/09/24 16:29:16 Accept ax25 failed: invalid argument

Basil Gunn

I honestly had better luck with Windows and a KPC3+ TNC.
short of a hammer and trash can I'm undecided as what to do next.
Please email sales.nwdr@gmail.com and ask for a return refund and send
your DRAWS board back.

I do not believe your problem has anything to do with your DRAWS sound
card.

You may have an incorrect Winlink password in your Linux RMS Gateway
config file. Although the spy trace you sent me looks like a bad radio
configuration. Once your deviation is set using ALSA parameters the
installation scripts in the n7nix directory set up everything for a
working RMS Gateway. I have 3 Winlink RMS Gateways I maintain that I set
up this way using Kenwood TM-V71a radios.

You have never sent the following output to me before. I assume it is from a
Winlink Express client and is not shown in the spy trace you previously
sent me.

2021/09/24 16:27:07 Exchange failed: read wl2k: connection reset by peer
2021/09/24 16:29:16 Accept ax25 failed: invalid argument
The following can be the result of a bad password or you haven't been authorized
to run a Winlink gateway although AE4ML-10 is in the Winlink
database. Note that the peer doing the reset is a Winlink CMS not Linux
RMS Gateway.

Exchange failed: read wl2k: connection reset by peer
/Basil n7nix

Mike Lussier - AE4ML <mike.lussier@gmail.com> writes:

This was setup months ago and it has never worked correctly. I honestly had better luck with Windows and a KPC3+ TNC.
No one has been able to use the rms gateway. everyone gets the same error "connection reset by peer.
The modulation has been checked and verified on both my stations and the gateway as well as a couple other folks.

short of a hammer and trash can I'm undecided as what to do next. to many people are complaining that they can't use it.
Accepting 3L1E77OJTIDD
Receiving [Winlink Wednesday Roster Published (22 September 2021, Episode #263)] [offset 0]
2021/09/24 16:27:07 Exchange failed: read wl2k: connection reset by peer
2021/09/24 16:29:16 Accept ax25 failed: invalid argument

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

Password is correct  and in this case this is the output from Pat 11.0 client.

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

If you have this on a Pi 4, I am willing to buy it rather then send it back to
the DRAWS seller should you chose to no longer use it.

Ed, KF9FRQ

On 9/25/2021 6:06 AM, Mike Lussier - AE4ML wrote:
Password is correct  and in this case this is the output from Pat 11.0 client.

Basil Gunn

"Connection reset by peer" can be a credential problem. Your Winlink
client password can be different then your RMS Gateway password.

The traffic spy you sent me previously was a path or deviation problem
which is a different problem than what you are now describing.
Have your ALSA settings changed? Run this script:

alsa-show.sh

Can you test with a peer-to-peer connection between 2 PAT clients (any
Winlink clients will do)? This would remove the RMS Gateway and point
to a radio/sound card setup problem.

When I am testing or doing development I use 2 radios and Raspberry
Pis. One is an RMS gateway, the other is a Winlink client. This setup
removes the RF path variable & I can look at a packet spy from both
sides. Is there any way for you to get me a packet spy from both your
side (RMS Gateway) and the Winlink client side (PAT) that demonstrates
your current problem?

Mike Lussier - AE4ML <mike.lussier@gmail.com> writes:

Password is correct and in this case this is the output from Pat 11.0 client.

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

I won’t be able to touch it til later this coming week. Thank m headed out of town this morning. Back mid week

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

Basil,
I have successfully connected and downloaded and uploaded messages of multiple sizes from my portable station via a local digipeater with no problems. I have successfully connected with my station to another station 25 miles away p2p.

This is not with the Draws.

Any station  that connects to my rmsgateway the handshake takes place.  The communication with CMS takes place and  either the download or upload begins and about 50% of the message is transferred and the error message comes up and the connection is terminated. Small single line messages between two users can be sent or received. if you add multiple users to the the message or an attachment or a form then forget it. the failure occurs. Internet is solid. no errors seen on the interface  or the subnet. very basic firewall acl is in place at this point.

Here is the output of the show alsa you asked for.

pi@UDRC-RMSGATEWAY:~/bin $ alsa-show.sh
 ==== List All sound card device names (2)
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 1: udrc [udrc]

 ======= DRAWS
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
PCM         L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]
Output Mixer    L:[on] R:[off]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[Off]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

The success above was to a second station running windows RMS gateway is a neighboring area not mine.

Basil Gunn

Your current ALSA settings are different than the ones you originally
posted. When using the 'setalsa' scripts to set ALSA settings they do
not turn off the 'LO Output Mixer' or turn off routing the input line
'IN1', IN2'.

The TI codec used in DRAWS has a lot of capability. With that capability
comes a lot of complexity. To see a list of all the ALSA controls that
need setting look at the output of this command:

amixer -c udrc scontrols

Because the ALSA settings output you posted are not something that would
be set from one of the setalsa scripts I wonder if other controls are
also not set to values known to work. You may want to read this
document:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DRAWS_ALSA.md

Please refresh my memory of the radio you are using. From your ALSA
settings it looks like something close to a Kenwood TM-V71a. Also
please confirm which mDin6 connector you are using, left or right as you
look into the connector.

Also run the following script to reset your ALSA controls back to
something I test with:

cd
cd n7nix/bin
./setalsa-tmv71a.sh

What is the 'DATSPD' option on your radio set to (option 518 on a
Kenwood tm-v71a)

[...]

Attached is the output you asked for. The Radio is TM-G707  the menu setting in the radio is for 1200bps. I haven't modified anything. The radio is connected to the left port. I reran the setalsa-tmv71a.sh and took a snapshot before and after. I see no difference.  Everything in the amixer -c udrc scontrols  is all zero values.

BEFORE::

pi@UDRC-RMSGATEWAY:~/bin $ alsa-show.sh
 ==== List All sound card device names (2)
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 1: udrc [udrc]

 ======= DRAWS
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
PCM         L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

===========================

pi@UDRC-RMSGATEWAY:~/bin $ ./setalsa-tmv71a.sh
Sat 02 Oct 2021 05:30:20 AM EDT: Radio: TM-V71a set from setalsa-tmv71a.sh
 ==== List All sound card device names (2)
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 1: udrc [udrc]

 ======= DRAWS
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
PCM         L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

AFTER::

pi@UDRC-RMSGATEWAY:~/bin $ alsa-show.sh
 ==== List All sound card device names (2)
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 1: udrc [udrc]

 ======= DRAWS
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
PCM         L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

pi@UDRC-RMSGATEWAY:~/bin $ amixer -c udrc scontrols
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'Mic PGA',0
Simple mixer control 'ADC Level',0
Simple mixer control 'ADCFGA Left Mute',0
Simple mixer control 'ADCFGA Right Mute',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Attack Time',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Decay Time',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Gain Hysteresis',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Hysteresis',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Left',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Max PGA',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Noise Debounce',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Noise Threshold',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Right',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Signal Debounce',0
Simple mixer control 'AGC Target Level',0
Simple mixer control 'CM_L to Left Mixer Negative Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'CM_R to Right Mixer Negative Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'DAC Left Playback PowerTune',0
Simple mixer control 'DAC Right Playback PowerTune',0
Simple mixer control 'HP DAC',0
Simple mixer control 'HP Driver Gain',0
Simple mixer control 'HPL Output Mixer IN1_L',0
Simple mixer control 'HPL Output Mixer L_DAC',0
Simple mixer control 'HPR Output Mixer IN1_R',0
Simple mixer control 'HPR Output Mixer R_DAC',0
Simple mixer control 'IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN1_R to Left Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN1_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN2_L to Right Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN2_R to Left Mixer Negative Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN2_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN3_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN3_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN3_R to Left Mixer Negative Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'IN3_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor',0
Simple mixer control 'LO DAC',0
Simple mixer control 'LO Driver Gain',0
Simple mixer control 'LO Playback Common Mode',0
Simple mixer control 'LOL Output Mixer L_DAC',0
Simple mixer control 'LOR Output Mixer R_DAC',0
Simple mixer control 'PGA Level',0

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

Basil,
After running the setalsa command and seeing no change and rereading your note.
I opened the setalsa-tmv71.sh file and extracted these lines.

you stated "Your current ALSA settings are different than the ones you originally
posted. When using the 'setalsa' scripts to set ALSA settings they do
not turn off the 'LO Output Mixer' or turn off routing the input line
'IN1', IN2'."

Why are IN1_L & IN1_R stated Off ?

# Default to 1200 baud settings for both channels
PCM_LEFT="-2.0"
PCM_RIGHT="-2.0"
LO_DRIVER_LEFT="0.0"
LO_DRIVER_RIGHT="0.0"
ADC_LEVEL_LEFT="0.0"
ADC_LEVEL_RIGHT="0.0"

IN1_L='Off'
IN1_R='Off'
IN2_L="10 kOhm"
IN2_R="10 kOhm"

PTM_PL="P3"
PTM_PR="P3"

RECVSIG_LEFT="audio"
RECVSIG_RIGHT="audio"

function dbgecho { if [ ! -z "$DEBUG" ] ; then echo "$*"; fi }

Basil Gunn

Edited

After running the setalsa command and seeing no change
I ran the diff utility on the alsa-show.sh output from your 8/27
groups.io post & your 9/29 post. That is what I was referring to:
```
diff mlussier_alsa0827.txt mlussier_alsa0929.txt
6a7
Output Mixer L:[on] R:[off]
11c12
< IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
---
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[Off]
13d13
<
```
and rereading your note.
I opened the setalsa-tmv71.sh file and extracted these lines.

you stated " Your current ALSA settings are different than the ones you originally
posted. When using the 'setalsa' scripts to set ALSA settings they do
not turn off the 'LO Output Mixer' or turn off routing the input line
'IN1', IN2'."

Why are IN1_L & IN1_R stated Off ?
IN1_L & IN1_R route the receive input line from the radio. IN1 routes
the discriminator (9600 baud) line, IN2 routes the audio (1200 baud) line.

From the DRAWS wiki:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8992

The IN1 pins are wired to the "9600 baud" or "discriminator" pin on the
DIN-6, and the IN2 pins are wired to the "1200 baud" or "audio" pin on
the DIN-6.

To use 9600 baud besides configuring direwolf you would turn the IN1
lines on & turn the IN2 lines off and set your radio DATSPD to 9600. The
9600 baud setting is actually the discriminator output of the radio so
could also be used with 1200 baud.

I do not think I can solve your problem with posts to this group. From
everything you have shown me I am guessing it is an ALSA settings
problem. Because you have assured me your deviation is set properly with
the ALSA settings and we have gone over everything else it could be an
RFI issue. If you have some clamp on Ferrites
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWCSNW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
put them on the mDin6 cable one close to the radio & one close to the
DRAWS card.

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

I guess a third new microSD maybe a charmer. The pi has been more stable than a windows box. I can say that when windows was running it worked. I think this would kick ass if it worked.

Why Al’s a mixer -c udrc scontrols shows all zeros ? And why running the alsasetup doesn’t change any of the values is another concern.

Basil Gunn

I guess a third new microSD maybe a charmer.
If you wait a couple of days I am releasing a new image.

The pi has been more stable than a windows box. I can say that when
windows was running it worked. I think this would kick ass if it
worked.

Why Al’s a mixer -c udrc scontrols shows all zeros ?
amixer -c udrc scontrols only lists the simple control names.

run: amixer -c udrc scontents
to view the contents of the control.

run: man amixer
to learn more about the amixer command

And why running the alsasetup doesn’t change any of the values is another concern.
To change individual controls run alsamixer
Use F6 to select the udrc sound card.
All 44 controls are displayed.

You have to run alsamixer as root if you want the changes to persist
between reboots.